Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 04:53 AM

401 posts, read 534,312 times

Advertisements

I can`t speak for PGI, since we live in Gulf Cove - but no - you are not safe walking out at night. Me and my 10 year daugther went out one night with a flashlight after dark. Really exciting! I tried to be the brave dad, but there was something in the bushes in the dark that sure scared me..must have been a huge Armadillo - or Panther??

Just kidding..I know you mean crime..it sure would be some event if you ever got robbed in PGI og Gulf Cove..I would rate the level of crime as zero. Perfectly safe walking out at night - downtown PG too.

The ways of the water is open 24/7 - but just make sure you navigational skills are so that you find your way home in the dark. The sun sets fast in the tropics - and when is dark - your references change completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 05:43 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
There is a social life downtown Punta Gorda at night. Some of the bars/restaurants stay open late and they have bands playing. It is a pretty safe place to walk around at night even in the residential areas.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:45 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
For those of you in PGI, do you feel safe walking around late at night in the neighborhood? My wife and I often take walks later in the eve (9-10-ish) in the neighborhood. How about in the downtown Punta Gorda (if there is such a thing?) areas, say after 10-11?

Similarly, is there any sort of curfew or understood/respected time of eve for which evening canal cruising is not allowed (or really frowned upon)? Say in the summer, a sunset cruise that stretches into the 9-10 pm hour, that sort of thing.
We refer to 8pm as Punta Gorda midnight, it gets pretty quite after 8pm back in the neighborhoods but very safe.

Downtown is another story great bars, restaurants, both indoors and out. Early bird specials for the older crowd and a nightlife for the young and young at heart with some places open until 2am again also very safe.

Boating...24/7 but in the back canals it would be nice if you kept the radio down.

Gary

Old 01-27-2014, 08:33 AM

21 posts, read 24,747 times
Really good tips and advice about having the back of the houses facing south! We were thinking of purchasing a home in Gulf Cove area (suggested by our real estate agent) for the canal access. When we finally retire we want to have a boat!

BB

Old 01-27-2014, 08:38 AM

535 posts, read 1,031,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
For those of you in PGI, do you feel safe walking around late at night in the neighborhood? My wife and I often take walks later in the eve (9-10-ish) in the neighborhood. How about in the downtown Punta Gorda (if there is such a thing?) areas, say after 10-11?

Similarly, is there any sort of curfew or understood/respected time of eve for which evening canal cruising is not allowed (or really frowned upon)? Say in the summer, a sunset cruise that stretches into the 9-10 pm hour, that sort of thing.
Finding your way back at night is definately a challange. Get a good GPS for the boat and you an follow the "cookie crumbs" (dotted line) back to your dock

Old 01-27-2014, 08:58 AM

21 posts, read 24,747 times
@SJNE 17 : What made you decide to look at PGI for a second home? Just wondering because we are not sure where we want to be as far as location. I was thinking it would be good to be close to the beach but I want a canal access for boating.

BB

Old 01-27-2014, 09:10 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,694,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Boomer View Post
@SJNE 17 : What made you decide to look at PGI for a second home? Just wondering because we are not sure where we want to be as far as location. I was thinking it would be good to be close to the beach but I want a canal access for boating.

BB
We live in Punta Gorda and my wife is a frequent beach user.

She says it is a 50 minute trip from 41 & Aqui Esta to the Sanibel bridge. Then the rest of the ride depends on island traffic.

The same starting point to the Boca Grande bridge is about 40 minutes.

Traffic plays a big part in how close these times are.

My point is PG is a great place to live but it is more than a quick ride to the beach.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:37 AM

535 posts, read 1,031,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
We live in Punta Gorda and my wife is a frequent beach user.

She says it is a 50 minute trip from 41 & Aqui Esta to the Sanibel bridge. Then the rest of the ride depends on island traffic.

The same starting point to the Boca Grande bridge is about 40 minutes.

Traffic plays a big part in how close these times are.

My point is PG is a great place to live but it is more than a quick ride to the beach.
Englewood beach must be closer than Sanibel. Much less traffic for sure

Old 01-27-2014, 10:45 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,074 times
from PGI Englewood is no closer than Boca, it's probably a little further

Old 01-27-2014, 01:40 PM

401 posts, read 534,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Boomer View Post
Really good tips and advice about having the back of the houses facing south! We were thinking of purchasing a home in Gulf Cove area (suggested by our real estate agent) for the canal access. When we finally retire we want to have a boat!

BB

We also intially were looking for a Southward facing pool area house, but settled for a house with pool area facing WNW.

We are sun-worshippers as much as they come - but a Southern exposed pool area gets awful hot in the summer. Now we are happy we have the sunsets by the pool. Temperatures by the pool area are just perfect in the afternoon.

BTW - if you win the lottery there is a nice house on Norlander in GC for 1.8M
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte