Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 06:42 AM

747 posts, read 1,011,952 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are going through the exhaustive list of things to think about in looking at PG for a 2nd home, so pardon the rookie questions.

1) What's the weather like in PG during the summer months (which I'll presume is worst from June-Sept) from a practical perspective? I'm talking about the daily reality, putzing around the home or town running errands or strolling. Is it unbearable, or just something you get used to? We're from northeast and are used to humidity and heat in summertime, but I've been in Orlando and West Palm in the summer (August) on business and to me, it was unbelievable, as in sweat-drenched in 3 minutes and take-my-breath-away hot/humid. That kind of weather doesn't really agree with me, but it's a heck of a lot better than the 5 degree alternative at the moment. I grew up in Southern California and find a mediterranean climate most agreeable, but as with many things in life, there are compromises to be made....

2) Do you run a/c 24x7 much of the year, and if so what would typical electric bill be for a modern 2.5-3k sq. ft. home? Do the bugs get nasty the worse the heat gets? We live in the northeast 'burbs and have our yard sprayed with eco-friendly mosquito treatment and the stuff actually works wonders, keeps a lot of the critters at bay. Can you have that sort of thing done in PG?

3) What's it like being on boat during day or eve in the hottest time of year, in canals (just cruising around) or on the harbor?

4) We'd be looking to have a place in PG as a 2nd home, and have extended family stay & visit either with or without us. No idea of how often we'd visit or be there for any length of time, but I would assume in total around 4-5 months of the year, maybe more. For those of you who do similar, what do you do to maintain your home and secure it? IP cameras, property manager, that sort of thing? I would of course make best efforts to become friendly with as many neighbors as possible so they know when we're there and when we're not, which I presume is good practice?

5) Does anyone here participate in cycling? I'm talking about a bit of the more quick pace & serious road variety, not beach cruiser or casual bike trail riding. That's a big part of my recreational interest (as well as my wife on occasion, since we have a tandem) and would really like to know more about it, where to go (and avoid), what the general area's like (I presume flat as pancake), etc. If someone could recommend a good shop or club in the area, I'm all ears and will reach out to them with more questions separately.

Other questions will probably come to mind so rather than pepper the board with various subjects, I'll use this thread to keep 'em coming if that's decorum (I'm a new member and don't have a feel for what is best protocol here).

Thanks a bunch for the replies on other threads I've commented on, and the PM's. They're much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 07:03 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
Each of your questions has been answered many, many times on the forum. Please use the "search" tool for each subject, and you'll find hundreds of responses. The only one I don't recall being discussed is #3, canal cruising during summer. We generally don't get much breeze in the summer, so you better have shade (T-top or bimini), and a GOOD quality 12v fan at the helm. Once you're in open water and cruising, you can turn the fan off, but going slow for even 2 min can make most of us sweat from June-Oct

Old 01-04-2014, 07:23 AM

Thanks Harbor Hopper. I have indeed searched and in the past few days read through close to 50+ pages and hundreds of threads (some going back to 2008--including a bizarre one about Punta Gorda being a secret test area for biological warfare chemicals), and just figured I'd ask the questions to get some updated and thorough answers--which might help potential newcomers like me as well.

Last edited by SJNE17; 01-04-2014 at 07:43 AM..

Old 01-04-2014, 07:38 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,123 times
If you find the heat too much in Orlando or West Palm during the Summer you should figure it will be about the same or warmer here.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:14 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,963,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
My wife and I are going through the exhaustive list of things to think about in looking at PG for a 2nd home, so pardon the rookie questions.

1) What's the weather like in PG during the summer months (which I'll presume is worst from June-Sept) from a practical perspective? I'm talking about the daily reality, putzing around the home or town running errands or strolling. Is it unbearable, or just something you get used to? We're from northeast and are used to humidity and heat in summertime, but I've been in Orlando and West Palm in the summer (August) on business and to me, it was unbelievable, as in sweat-drenched in 3 minutes and take-my-breath-away hot/humid. That kind of weather doesn't really agree with me, but it's a heck of a lot better than the 5 degree alternative at the moment. I grew up in Southern California and find a mediterranean climate most agreeable, but as with many things in life, there are compromises to be made....

2) Do you run a/c 24x7 much of the year, and if so what would typical electric bill be for a modern 2.5-3k sq. ft. home? Do the bugs get nasty the worse the heat gets? We live in the northeast 'burbs and have our yard sprayed with eco-friendly mosquito treatment and the stuff actually works wonders, keeps a lot of the critters at bay. Can you have that sort of thing done in PG?

3) What's it like being on boat during day or eve in the hottest time of year, in canals (just cruising around) or on the harbor?

4) We'd be looking to have a place in PG as a 2nd home, and have extended family stay & visit either with or without us. No idea of how often we'd visit or be there for any length of time, but I would assume in total around 4-5 months of the year, maybe more. For those of you who do similar, what do you do to maintain your home and secure it? IP cameras, property manager, that sort of thing? I would of course make best efforts to become friendly with as many neighbors as possible so they know when we're there and when we're not, which I presume is good practice?

5) Does anyone here participate in cycling? I'm talking about a bit of the more quick pace & serious road variety, not beach cruiser or casual bike trail riding. That's a big part of my recreational interest (as well as my wife on occasion, since we have a tandem) and would really like to know more about it, where to go (and avoid), what the general area's like (I presume flat as pancake), etc. If someone could recommend a good shop or club in the area, I'm all ears and will reach out to them with more questions separately.

Other questions will probably come to mind so rather than pepper the board with various subjects, I'll use this thread to keep 'em coming if that's decorum (I'm a new member and don't have a feel for what is best protocol here).

Thanks a bunch for the replies on other threads I've commented on, and the PM's. They're much appreciated.
1. It's hot and humid, but we find it manageable. We lived in SoCal (Ventura County) for 7 yrs, so we appreciate perfect weather. Don't fight it - run, bike, walk in the morning, go shopping after dinner; record TV shows and watch them in the afternoon, read, go in the pool.

2. AC runs 24/7 from about the middle of May to the middle of Oct; when it goes off, the pool heater goes on. We air condition 3100 sf and heat a large pool with an average monthly electric bill around $200. Mosquitoes aren't a problem for us, but the no-see-ums are crazy anywhere near the mangroves after the sun goes down; I've never heard of anybody trying to spray for them outside.

3. HH was right on with the fan for slow cruising. Fishing in the summer is great, but get on the water at 6 and off by 2 - thunderstorms will likely chase you in anyway. Cover up, use good, polarized sunglasses, stay hydrated, get under the T-top when you can. Carry plenty of ice, and a couple of wet towels in the cooler will help keep you cool. Adapt, don't fight it.

4. This is a very low crime area, but do what makes you comfortable. There are many home-watch options to choose from.

5. We're not bike riders, but others have commented here before. I see what look like bike clubs riding occasionally, so I assume there are some.

Bottom line, this is a beautiful area, and we really like it here. Yes, it's hot and humid in the summer, but we find it very manageable. Good luck.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:52 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
From approx. June 15 through end of September is rainy season in FL. This means possibility of strong thunderstorms during the afternoon nearly every day. They storms usually last anywhere from a 5 minutes to half hour, more or less. Sometimes you see the dark clouds and lightning a few miles away but it doesn't make it to your area. And you really don't know if that storm will pop up in your area during rainy season. So you prepare for the possibility of the torrential rain as well as the deadly lightning. You don't go outside during these storms since it is possible to get struck by the lightning.

The good thing about rainy season is you can wait out the storm and then go about your business as soon as it passes. The rain cools things down a bit during the summer so the place doesn't turn into a desert. And it also is very humid during the summer where you can sweat quickly if you stay outside for longer than 5-10 minutes.

People learn to walk their dogs and do outside work/walks early in the AM or at sunset (in between T-storms). In some areas you see many people in the neighborhood coming out of their home during these times instead of during the heat/sun during the middle of the day.

FYI you might be able to get an address and if you know the local power company, call them and give the address and ask for the annual average power bill for that home. I was able to do this for one house I was considering. They gave me the info even though I didn't own or rent that home and just was thinking about getting it. Not sure if all power companies give this info out, but it's worth a try.

My power bills are under $140 during the hottest part of summer for a typical newer FL house in same sq ft range you are looking. I can't remember the exact amts but they might even be below $125/mo during those hot months.

Bugs really aren't a big issue any time of the year. Other than fire ants which make mounds in dirt in mostly sunny areas. But they aren't that much of a nuisance but you can't go walking around the grass barefoot for the most part, because of possibility of fire ants. They are not only in FL. People get used to them but they can be a pain if you step in the mounds. But you learn to ID the mounds pretty quickly and you step around then and try to get rid of the mounds. But new ones pop up here and there.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:38 PM

Thanks wpc691.

I know Ventura area pretty well, my car mechanic (he was a specialty Vette guy) was based in Oxnard, and I'd drive up from Orange County for just about all service. Really outta the way, but I hated going to dealers and it was worth the trip. For long service they'd drop me off at the Amtrak station and I'd take that back to Irvine, returning a week or so later. Also went to college on the Central Coast, so I've gone up and down the 101 literally hundreds of times.

What made you pick FL to retire in vs. staying up there?

Old 01-04-2014, 08:11 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,963,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
Thanks wpc691.

I know Ventura area pretty well, my car mechanic (he was a specialty Vette guy) was based in Oxnard, and I'd drive up from Orange County for just about all service. Really outta the way, but I hated going to dealers and it was worth the trip. For long service they'd drop me off at the Amtrak station and I'd take that back to Irvine, returning a week or so later. Also went to college on the Central Coast, so I've gone up and down the 101 literally hundreds of times.

What made you pick FL to retire in vs. staying up there?
Moved from SoCal to Germany 3 1/2 yrs ago to run a business there. Kids and business commitments on the East coast made moving back to SoCal impractical, so we sold the Moorpark house and set up shop in Punta Gorda - looking for someplace warm on the water, and PG came out on top.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:20 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
Punta Gorda weather - 92-93 almost every day during the summer. Also quick rain showers quite often, almost daily in the summer. We do have slight breezes which helps keep the temps under 100. We do get tired of the heat for so many months, and it feels great when the temp hits the 80s. During the winter months we have a dry season with little rain. It can get cooler in the 50s to 70s. Occasionally we can get a frost. Hurricane season is June 1 to Nov. 30th.
Weather history - Average Weather for Punta Gorda, FL - Temperature and Precipitation

We run the AC all summer into about Oct. and then turn it off and open the windows/doors in the winter. We only run the heat occasionally. Link to Florida Power and Light (FPL) rates: FPL | All about your rates and charges. Rates can vary depending on how the home is built and how well insulated it is and what type of windows it has.

Everyone needs pest control down here, whether you do it yourself or hire a pest control company to come out and spray quarterly. If you live near any body of water, there is a chance of mosquitos. They have regular mosquito spraying. Here is a link to the Charlotte County mosquito control - Pest Management. But there are lots of different types of bugs and pests down here. The most common are termites, ants, spiders, and palmetto bugs.

When you are not at the home, it is best to have someone look after it, whether it be a home watch company or a neighbor or friend. There is a list of things to do to prepare your home for when you are away. Some people have a security system, but someone needs to look in on the home too. You want to have a humidistat too, that will control the AC system and only run it when the humidity gets high.

There are pathways, ring around the city, in Punta Gorda for riding your bike. City of Punta Gorda Florida. You could join the Charlotte County Cyclists Meetup Group - Charlotte County Cyclists (Port Charlotte, FL) - Meetup

Old 01-04-2014, 08:55 PM

TamRE, is there any more/less desirability as to the positioning of certain aspects of homes in Punta Gorda Isles, i.e., whether the pool/lanai faces [west] [east] [etc]?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte