Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 11:02 AM

180 posts, read 450,542 times

Advertisements

"Why do you hate outsiders?" If you arrived at that question based on the state of the job market, a perceived lack of things to do and not being good for families, I'd suggest you rethink the whole idea.

Last edited by chuckycheese; 01-18-2014 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 11:21 AM

45 posts, read 78,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckycheese View Post
"Why do you hate outsiders?" I'm surprised at all the civil responses......
Me too actually. Like I said I wasn't trying to pick a fight, but I did figure that a title like that would get some slap you in the face brutally honest respones.
Which I guess since I'm not coming down broke, unemployed with no skillset or willingness to work thinking life is going to be everything Jimmy Buffett sings about, I've gotten some pretty straight forward answers as to why I see what appear to be "haters".
I appreciate the honesty (and civility) I've gotten.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:27 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,631,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboFolds View Post
Me too actually. Like I said I wasn't trying to pick a fight, but I did figure that a title like that would get some slap you in the face brutally honest respones.
Which I guess since I'm not coming down broke, unemployed with no skillset or willingness to work thinking life is going to be everything Jimmy Buffett sings about, I've gotten some pretty straight forward answers as to why I see what appear to be "haters".
I appreciate the honesty (and civility) I've gotten.
If you are looking for harsher responses to your OP then post it on the Cape Coral forum, we are a much more civil group here.

Gary

Old 01-18-2014, 12:04 PM

45 posts, read 78,443 times
Haha, not looking for "harsher" responses. Just honesty.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:32 PM

747 posts, read 1,012,097 times
in my opinion, people who "hang out" on forums are typically the fringe few % of any given population, be it a town, a hobby group (cars, for example), etc. in other words, on matters of opinion, take everything with a very fine grain of salt.

there is no substitute for talking, meeting and interacting with real people--you know, the living & breathing kind, not an internet persona.

forums are great for addressing very specific topics or questions, however, and for that they're very useful. i've learned some incredibly helpful things from the folks on here with direct questions as well as just reading through various threads.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:53 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
outsiders pah...just don't let the English in.......................oh wait !!!!!!

Old 01-18-2014, 02:18 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
There are a few people on here that are simply negative about every aspect of life and want to bring others down with them. Do not feed these trolls.
However, we also get a lot of people coming on here with their minds already made up that they're moving to FL with NO jobs lined up, NO money to live on, and think they're going to be just fine down here in their delusional La-ti-da minds. That's where a lot of the "negativity" you speak of is coming from. There are WAY too many people already being supported by the corrupt welfare system, and we don't need to add even more entitlement losers to that list. Believe it or not, there have even been folks come on here, admitting that they are on public assistance, and wondering how hard it is to transfer their welfare to FL, get housing assistance, etc... all because "we don't have to work and hate the cold". Those a$$hats get a lashing from posters, as you can imagine.
People are very helpful on here with information, but we also try to be realistic and make people see that it's not all sunshine and martinis (unless you're retired with a good nest egg). Some only want to hear the positive and get upset when people respond with realism. Most of us on here come from different states. We've all made the move to FL at some point. Some make it, some don't. We're simply offering advice based on REAL experiences. Some people are so "out there" that they only see the rainbows & roses. They will fall hardest when their endeavor fails.
Good post, Harbor, about sums it all up. And over the years that I've lived in Florida ( moved to Miami in 1976), I've seen a number of those folks on the public dole who move here thinking they will continue that lifestyle where it's warm and there are beaches, express surprise that their benefits have been cut since apparently those benefits are less here in Florida ( don't know, I've always worked and saved for what I have). They end up moving back to where they came from ( Detroit, Chicago, NY) because they said they couldn't make it on the public assistance they got in Florida.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:53 PM

10 posts, read 21,379 times
It really sucks here. Stay away, as far away as you can get

I once had a twenty something ask why would you move here? We are all trying to find an escape. I didn't reply to him, but thought good, more for me!

Old 01-18-2014, 07:26 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboFolds View Post
I am really curious why it is that there are so many negative replies to people interested in moving to the PC/N.Port/Punta area?
I don't see a lot of negative replies, unless you're referring to the honest posts by people who just want to help. Most of the comments say that it is a wonderful place to live, but you need to be realistic about the things you mentioned (jobs, wages, schools) I never thought crime was a problem in Charlotte County, although there are some not-so-nice neighborhoods.

Edit: I used to post more often, but I stopped because no 2 situations are alike. The more than 20,000 people living below the poverty line in Charlotte County probably don't think this is the land of milk and honey. Hundreds of people will go to bed hungry tonight. Some of them might be our neighbors. Then we have the retirees who own 2 or more homes whose biggest problem is deciding on which restaurant to choose have an entirely different attitude. It doesn't matter if we're talking about Florida or New York. We all have different lifestyles and how we live day to day is usually the way we view the world.

Last edited by justNancy; 01-18-2014 at 07:39 PM..

Old 01-19-2014, 06:12 AM

180 posts, read 450,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Edit: I used to post more often, but I stopped because no 2 situations are alike. The more than 20,000 people living below the poverty line in Charlotte County probably don't think this is the land of milk and honey. Hundreds of people will go to bed hungry tonight. Some of them might be our neighbors. Then we have the retirees who own 2 or more homes whose biggest problem is deciding on which restaurant to choose have an entirely different attitude. It doesn't matter if we're talking about Florida or New York. We all have different lifestyles and how we live day to day is usually the way we view the world.
The reason lots of people have 2 or more homes is because they spent their lives working really hard, saving their money......and eating at home. Oh, and paying confiscatory taxes all the while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte