Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post

There are plenty great pits, and I know the Sunshines dogs (can look fearsome), but are extremely friendly - I still wouldn't want to accidentally wander in to their house though!!

they have been highly trained...you can come in my house, nothing, jump in my pool,nothing...go to my fridge and grab a beer...bye bye testicles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 09:47 AM

45 posts, read 78,443 times
I get a little passionate because I get so sick and tired of people saying how dangerous/vicious/unpredictable they are. They are animals, regardless of everything else and when people lose respect of that is when problems occur.

The original story of the 4 on 1 originally left out the part that the 4 were separated by a fence, so I can't help but wonder what other details might have actually led to the attack. Did the smaller dog bark growl or snap at being confroned by a much larger dog coming at it? Did the scream and panic of the small dogs owner trigger a "fetch and catch" reaction from the approaching dog when she pulled away, which then escalated to full attack? My point being that dogs, regardless of breed don't just suddenly go to attack and kill without some type of trigger. It's a sad situation no matter why it happened and I don't excuse the dogs from their behavior, but be certain that somewhere in there, there are humans who need to share in the blame.

None of it really matters, as I said I'm not getting drawn into another debate on the breed.
For purposes of this thread and it's actual topic........

We are responsible owners of a 3yr old American Staffordshire Terrier (commonly known as a pitbull) that is extremely well mannered, social with both humans and other animals. He is neutered with all shots up to date and house trained. He was rescued as a stray with obvious signs that he had escaped from a severely abusive situation or was dumped because he was too docile to fight.
We as owners are advocates who understand the temperment and needs of the group of dogs commonly referred to as "Pitbulls". We command train with our dog daily. Keep him active to keep his energy level in check. Create puzzle and search and recover situations for him to keep him mentally focused. Provide intimacy and love situations to moderate temperment. And socialize on and off leash to ensure tolerance of other creatures.

We will make excellent long term tennants to anyone willing to give us the opportunity and we may just change your perception of what a "bully" dog actually is.
Additionally we will gladly pay a higher than usual security deposit and protect any property owner from liability byi providing a private insurance policy written by a national company against damage or event caused by the dog.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:02 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
they have been highly trained...you can come in my house, nothing, jump in my pool,nothing...go to my fridge and grab a beer...bye bye testicles
Pit Bulls are scored (as well as dogs of other breeds), and found to be one of the best social and loyal, and friendly - ranked higher than almost all other domestic breeds.

Also, they are found / scored / able to inflict the most damage, have the most aggressive and have tremendous stamina when they feel it is necessary, far more than almost all other domestic breeds.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
My dog, used to look like he as going to bite everyone that came to the house - he was nervous, he would greet everyone, and immediately put their hands in his mouth - he was so quick it was impossible to avoid. So I had to explain what the procedure would be when they came in. No matter what you did to prevent this from happening - he would do it anyway and was so quick - it was scary. Once he "shook their hand," they were golden - he never bit anyone. But it always made everyone nervous. He passed away 6 months ago, and I've been sad ever since.
Reminds me of a ChowChow I had about 15 years ago. If he didn't know you he would hold you at bay and not even let you on the porch. Once I gave you a "formal" introduction (Bear this is so-and-so, so-and-so this is Bear. Bear, so-and-so is a friend let him pet you) and you gave him his rubdown you could walk in any time. Pizza guys all knew to call when they pulled in the drive because they weren't gonna get close to the house. It was hilarious.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:09 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboFolds View Post
I get a little passionate because I get so sick and tired of people saying how dangerous/vicious/unpredictable they are. They are animals, regardless of everything else and when people lose respect of that is when problems occur.

The original story of the 4 on 1 originally left out the part that the 4 were separated by a fence, so I can't help but wonder what other details might have actually led to the attack. Did the smaller dog bark growl or snap at being confroned by a much larger dog coming at it? Did the scream and panic of the small dogs owner trigger a "fetch and catch" reaction from the approaching dog when she pulled away, which then escalated to full attack? My point being that dogs, regardless of breed don't just suddenly go to attack and kill without some type of trigger. It's a sad situation no matter why it happened and I don't excuse the dogs from their behavior, but be certain that somewhere in there, there are humans who need to share in the blame.

None of it really matters, as I said I'm not getting drawn into another debate on the breed.
For purposes of this thread and it's actual topic........

We are responsible owners of a 3yr old American Staffordshire Terrier (commonly known as a pitbull) that is extremely well mannered, social with both humans and other animals. He is neutered with all shots up to date and house trained. He was rescued as a stray with obvious signs that he had escaped from a severely abusive situation or was dumped because he was too docile to fight.
We as owners are advocates who understand the temperment and needs of the group of dogs commonly referred to as "Pitbulls". We command train with our dog daily. Keep him active to keep his energy level in check. Create puzzle and search and recover situations for him to keep him mentally focused. Provide intimacy and love situations to moderate temperment. And socialize on and off leash to ensure tolerance of other creatures.

We will make excellent long term tennants to anyone willing to give us the opportunity and we may just change your perception of what a "bully" dog actually is.
Additionally we will gladly pay a higher than usual security deposit and protect any property owner from liability byi providing a private insurance policy written by a national company against damage or event caused by the dog.
You are talking about your dog, and your self.
No reason to defend, or be defensive.
You did not create this problem, it is not your fault, and it is not the fault of your dog.
You however do not control, nor can you defend what others do, or what some pit bulls have been bread to do, and abused to become.
Here is a good documentary that exemplifies what people know and hear about - it is no a reflection of anyone on this board - but is a fact.

It's very disturbing. And they clearly note that other dogs can be treated / trained, and bred to get the same results. This breed is chose for the purpose depicted and no one has been able to do anything about it - UNFORTUNATELY. But you cannot deny - the facts stated, and you can defend your position - it is understandable you love your dog, and it loves you.

Sunshines - there is no reason for you to watch this - and i advise you not to - its pretty pathetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UozSY6TNgKo

Old 01-23-2014, 10:38 AM

Yeah, couldn't watch more than a couple minutes. I know fully what happens to the unlucky ones that get put into the fighting world by lowlife douchbags. Makes me sick that anyone could possibly find it entertaining to watch.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:30 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
Quote:
Pit Bulls are scored (as well as dogs of other breeds), and found to be one of the best social and loyal, and friendly - ranked higher than almost all other domestic breeds.

Also, they are found / scored / able to inflict the most damage, have the most aggressive and have tremendous stamina when they feel it is necessary, far more than almost all other domestic breeds.
you know I almost thought you were talking about...................you :-)

but I realised the mistake........no yeungling

Old 01-23-2014, 01:29 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Have you checked on Craigslist ? You can filter by price and check a box to indicate dogs allowed. There are several homes that seem to permit dogs available in your price range. Whether that includes pit bulls you would have to ask.

Also keep networking with the rescue groups to find a rental house. They are good resources.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:48 PM

CL has actually presented a lot better options than zillow or trulia . Still, most of the ads that will allow dogs state a weight limit and the old "no vicious breeds" line. Did contact one guy that said he might consider it once he met the dog but he was generally against it. Not going to transport the dog 1000 miles on a maybe.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:55 PM

114 posts, read 172,714 times
Jumbo, you mentioned you were going to stay with family when you come down. How do they feel about the dog? Any chance it could stay with them until you work out a solution? I would hate to see you have to give the dog away, I really hope it works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte