Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 03:46 PM

493 posts, read 632,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Yer a funny guy Gary.
He's not that funny in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 04:54 PM

518 posts, read 1,225,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
By "going higher" do you mean building higher for new construction?
Yes on pilings. If you do this now you won't have to worry about any costs or so called rumors of price hikes down the road. FEMA is 24 billion in debt and someone is going to have to pay for that and future floods. I left Florida once already for tax and insurance hikes that were out of control in 2005 due to the boom. It doesn't make Florida unbuildable it just costs a lot more per house to go up. Tell someone in Sandy New Jersey now it is just rumors that they have to build up or pay the price. Why wait till they inform you of the same problem to come to you after you buy or build. It will come to Florida most likely by 2015 to 2018.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:17 PM

747 posts, read 1,004,773 times
That's a challenge in PGI, which is where we're looking.

Picking a height to build to is rolling the dice on an unknown final outcome (revised BFE), would cost a staggering extra amount if custom, and would end up looking pretty darned ugly (relatively speaking). Backyard-to-dock would be comically sloped, and would have to be terraced (if the city would even permit that) to allow for reasonable access without looking like a grassy ski jump into the canal.

So the cost-benefit is, say, spend tens of thousands more in construction for the only butt ugly custom house on stilts on a street where the homes are all within a general range of the BFE, or pay another few/several hundred per year for flood insurance on a regular house (custom or existing).

Old 02-12-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
misleading. You will NOT see 14-15ft BFE's anywhere in FL. Some will go higher, but not that extreme! Please don't post rumors. And, as stated, the Charlotte Harbor area is not even on the radar for map updates. IF they update this area, it will be YEARS down the road.
I was born and raised in Florida. I have seen a lot of hikes in everything on homes on the water over the years. All insurance used to be really cheap on and off the water. How is that cost now. Very high and only going to get worst. I prefer to be proactive so it doesn't effect me as much. My living area is 12 feet off the ground and if I would have had that at my last home it would have been fine instead of 4 feet of water coming into my house. That is not a rumor.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:

Picking a height to build to is rolling the dice on an unknown final outcome (revised BFE), would cost a staggering extra amount if custom, and would end up looking pretty darned ugly (relatively speaking). Backyard-to-dock would be comically sloped, and would have to be terraced (if the city would even permit that) to allow for reasonable access without looking like a grassy ski jump into the canal.

So the cost-benefit is, say, spend tens of thousands more in construction for the only butt ugly custom house on stilts on a street where the homes are all within a general range of the BFE, or pay another few/several hundred per year for flood insurance on a regular house (custom or existing).
I agree it would be very hard in PGI and the cost. But I don't thing it is going to be just a few hundred dollars in the near future. We all said that about our insurance cost 20 years ago. It ended up being thousands more for a poorer policy with no company wanting to write it today except citizens. I have been on or near the water all my life. It is just my opinion. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:21 PM

oh i hear & appreciate what you're saying, believe me. i've said it in other threads on this topic, but i experienced the impact of bfe changes firsthand when trying to buy another home awhile ago. fema updated during the time we were trying to purchase, and the initial hazard policy quote obtained when offer submitted near tripled when the new regs went into effect a few weeks or so after offer submitted. flood ins. was the same cost (the nfip policy), but the private co hazard policy went thru the roof. luckily, offer was rejected and we were able to walk away, otherwise we'd have been in a world of hurt.

the thing that concerns me more, frankly, is not just fema revisions but local or county ordinances that enhance those regs in order to qualify for fed participation in whatever program will exist at that time. i've seen it happen (it's happening now in a nearby town up in the northeast), and has caused an uproar. it's tantamount to an eminent domain taking, but with no compensation to owners.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:38 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,358,289 times
Quote:

Just build a 2 story and enclose the lower level and use it as a super sized garage. Then have stairs and an elevator to go to the 2nd story - which would be your official living area...which is way above flood. The house can look like a normal 2 story from the exterior. But when you enter the downstairs, it's unfinished area. You can have electric as long as the sockets/switches are above BFE. It's like have a basement but it's not below ground. You wouldn't have a hill because no need for fill dirt since the lower level is non-living.

Most of those nice homes on the water that appear to be massive 2 story homes...they often have non-living area on the lower floor. It makes the house look bigger than it really is because of all the extra space on the lower floor that isn't living area. But you can use it for an exercise room, a craft room, store tools, store everything. Most elevated homes aren't built as stilt homes these days. Instead, they look like 2 story homes from the outside with normal looking exterior walls that are painted and have stucco and have normal looking windows and doors and trim. You wouldn't know it's unfinished until you got inside.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:53 PM

unfortunately we don't have budget to go custom and get creative. lot of regular very nice homes selling for below replacement cost these days, don't know how long that'll last but hopefully long enough for us to be able to participate and get the helloutta this hideous cold weather....

Old 02-12-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Just build a 2 story and enclose the lower level and use it as a super sized garage. Then have stairs and an elevator to go to the 2nd story - which would be your official living area...which is way above flood. The house can look like a normal 2 story from the exterior. But when you enter the downstairs, it's unfinished area. You can have electric as long as the sockets/switches are above BFE. It's like have a basement but it's not below ground. You wouldn't have a hill because no need for fill dirt since the lower level is non-living.

Most of those nice homes on the water that appear to be massive 2 story homes...they often have non-living area on the lower floor. It makes the house look bigger than it really is because of all the extra space on the lower floor that isn't living area. But you can use it for an exercise room, a craft room, store tools, store everything. Most elevated homes aren't built as stilt homes these days. Instead, they look like 2 story homes from the outside with normal looking exterior walls that are painted and have stucco and have normal looking windows and doors and trim. You wouldn't know it's unfinished until you got inside.
You have quoted just what I own. What I worry about is if our street floods bad I will be the only house on the street that will be ok. I have to hope they will rebuild up other wise the whole street could become empty. Those houses are all very old and in great shape but FEMA would make them build up to get paid. The home on my lot was a knock down to build mine. The others would most likely have to do the same and it costs a lot more.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:11 AM

5,815 posts, read 12,572,555 times
Default Tell someone in Sandy New Jersey now it is just rumors that they have to build up or pay the price

I'm going thru this now in a nice area of Ocean County in NJ. I would have moved to Florida permanantly already if it wasn't for the unknown and fear factor and regulations from the govt. Homes that were worth 5 or 600K are selling for half now or a little more. To me it's now worth selling a 600K home for 300-350 just to move to Fla. to possibly have the same problem years down the road. So I'm stuck in park for the near future.

We had the realtor who has the highest amount of sales in Ocean County for the last ten years over the house last week to list it again. He told us the fear factor and unknown is overwhelming customers and many don't want to buy unless they get a steal. I understand the Charlotte Harbor new FEMA maps are several years away but it is creating a likely scenario that will be taking place throughout the country in flood zones. With that said, I would still buy in PGI or BSI because you only live once and they are great communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte