Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:49 AM

5 posts, read 9,664 times

Advertisements

First off, yes, I've spent the last few days searching the forum and have gleaned quite a bit of information from the very kind folks here who are generous with their time in answering what I'm sure seems like the same questions over and over.

Quick background: I'm approaching 56 with a wife and two boys (8 & 10). I'm fortunate enough to have a telecommuting job which allows me flexibility on where I live. Hence, as I approach retirement years I'm researching areas to stake that final claim. I currently live in Oviedo, and have done so for the past 30 years. So the ensuing questions aren't about the weather, costs of living, etc.

I've lived in two planned communities (1000+ homes, and 450 homes) during my years in Oviedo and while I'm not dead set against living in another, I'm also not opposed to (and actually might prefer) living in a non deed-restricted area.

The wife and I have been bitten by the sailing bug and we've recently completed the ASA 100, 103, and 104 sailing classes. We've also spent some time sailing the Banana River near Merritt Island and Melbourne. The near time dream is to purchase a sailboat and sail Florida and the Bahamas. The longer term dream is to head out and sail the Caribbean for a year or two.

Although it might be nice to be able to live on a canal and keep the sailboat in the backyard, it is not a high priority - especially given a max budget of roughly $300K. We'd both rather live in a nice vibrant area with quick access to outdoor activities, festivals, quaint shops and restaurants, etc. If anyone is familiar with the Orlando area I'm talking about areas similar to College Park, Thornton Park, and Winter Park. Heck, we're even smitten with downtown Stuart - which is another area I've been researching. After spending time reading this forum I'm thinking that Punta Gorda might be a nice fit. We're actually thinking of coming down next week for the Wine and Jazz festival to check out the area.

I've read much talk about PGI, BSI, North Port areas, but not really anything about the downtown historic area to the west of 41 (and east of PGI). I've looked at the MLS for homes and lots in this area and think it might be a good fit for us. But of course, no one knows more than the people who live and work in the area, like you good folks.

So given what I've written above, i.e., desire to keep and use a sailboat, young school age boys, and somewhat of a small aversion to deed-restricted communities (I'm the current 3-year president of my HOA), what words of wisdom have you for someone like me? Downtown Punta Gorda? Stick with the planned communities? Or should I expand my search to the surrounding areas of Port Charlotte?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 09:56 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,129,770 times
it does indeed sound like PGI is a very good fit....except I cant tell you about schools, I'm afraid

Old 02-12-2014, 10:06 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,684,895 times
Both PGI and BSI do have deed restrictions. However as both associations are "soft" and do not require membership you should be able to avoid any commitment to them as you have to your past HOA.

Deed restrictions are folded in with city ordinances for those two areas.

My point being, for deed restricted areas you do get the general look without the brow beating associated with some HOAs.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Both PGI and BSI do have deed restrictions. However as both associations are "soft" and do not require membership you should be able to avoid any commitment to them as you have to your past HOA.

Deed restrictions are folded in with city ordinances for those two areas.

My point being, for deed restricted areas you do get the general look without the brow beating associated with some HOAs.
Well, that certainly changes my thinking about those two communities. Thank you!

Old 02-12-2014, 10:27 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,684,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkurpiers View Post
Well, that certainly changes my thinking about those two communities. Thank you!
Every once in a while they do get a little goofy. There was a move in BSI years ago to bury all the electric wires & cables in a 70% partially built up community however it did not succeed.

But for the most part it is pretty low key.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:00 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,621,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Every once in a while they do get a little goofy. There was a move in BSI years ago to bury all the electric wires & cables in a 70% partially built up community however it did not succeed.

But for the most part it is pretty low key.
Goofy....I'm shocked that Florida doesn't require all utilities to be underground.

Gary

Old 02-12-2014, 11:16 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,521,052 times
Below are some links if you want to read about Punta Gorda and some of the communities. There are only two gated single family home communities in Punta Gorda which are Burnt Store Marina (in Lee county), and Seminole Lakes. Burnt Store Meadows, Lakes and Village are all deed restricted but have no community amenities. Creekside does not have community amenities either. Seminole Lakes has golf, pool, fitness, restaurant, clubhouse, and more. PGI and BSI also do not have community amenities unless you join the PGI Civic Association.

Punta Gorda Isles is closer to downtown Punta Gorda. Burnt Store Isles is farther south but still not that far of a drive into downtown Punta Gorda. With a $300k budget you will not find a newer home in PGI or BSI with canal access, only the older homes would be in that price range or homes that are not on a canal.

Punta Gorda Links
City of Punta Gorda - City of Punta Gorda Florida
Punta Gorda Isles Civic Association - Punta Gorda Isles Civic Association
Punta Gorda Chamber of Commerce - Punta Gorda Chamber of Commerce: Home Page

Single Family home Community Links
Burnt Store Isles - Home Page
Burnt Store Lakes - Burnt Store Lakes | Property Owners Association located in beautiful Punta Gorda
Burnt Store Marina (gated, golf) - Burnt Store Marina PGI Section 22 Homeowners Association
Burnt Store Meadows - Burnt Store Meadows - Deed Restrcited Community, Punta Gorda, Florida
Burnt Store Village - Home | Burnt Store Village | A quality Punta Gorda neighborhood for retirees, families, individuals and investors located in the heart of Southwest Florida.
Creekside - Creekside Community
Punta Gorda Isles - Punta Gorda Isles Civic Association
Seminole Lakes (gated, golf) - Seminole Lakes Country Club Golf Course | SeminoleLakes.net

Link to Charlotte County Schools - Charlotte County Public Schools Home Page
Sallie Jones Elementary is a year round school. I taught at Punta Gorda Middle School. It is a nice school with a great principal and support staff. Charlotte High school was completely new after hurricane Charley in 2004.

If you want to look in deed restricted communities in other areas of Charlotte county besides Punta Gorda below are some links. A great majority of Port Charlotte is a non-deed restricted area, however, there are county ordinances that must be followed.

Charlotte County Links
Charlotte County Government - Charlotte County BCC
Charlotte County Chamber of Commerce - Charlotte County Chamber of Commerce || Port Charlotte, Florida
Charlotte County New Resident Information - http://www.charlottecountychamber.or...nformation.pdf
Charlotte DeSoto Building Industry Association - Charlotte Desoto Building Industry Association - CDBIA

Community Links
Deep Creek Sec 20 - Deep Creek, Florida, Section 20 Property Owner's Association
Deep Creek Sec 23 - Deep Creek, Florida; Section 23 Property Owners Association
Gardens of Gulf Cove - Home Page
Grassy Point - Grassy Point Yacht Club. A residential community in Port Charlotte, Florida
Heritage Oak Park - http://heritageoakpark.com
Kings Gate - Kings Gate | Florida Retirement Community Living - Homes, Villas, Rentals
Oak Hollow - myoakhollow | Oak Hollow Property Owners Association, Inc., Port Charlotte, FL
River Club - New Homes for Sale Punta Gorda FL 33980 | Single Family Homes for Sale Punta Gorda FL 33980 | River Club | Maronda Homes
Riverwood - Riverwood Community Association, Port Charlotte, FL 33953
South Gulf Cove - South Gulf Cove HOA Inc.. A residential community in Port Charlotte, Florida
Rotonda - Rotonda West Association, Inc.: Home Page

Old 02-12-2014, 11:42 AM

Hi TamRE,

Thank you for the links. Some I've already visited based on your replies to other inquiries, and some I've yet to read. I will do so in the coming days.

At this point what I've not been able to get a read on, or opinions about, is about the historic area of Punta Gorda directly west of US 41 and north of West Henry Street (and east of PGI). This area appears to offer walking/biking distance to downtown as well as Fisherman's Village, Gilchrist Park and Laishley Park.

I'm interested in Pros vs Cons for this area. Obviously, some of the homes are from the early 20th century. Are there restrictions regarding modifications/renovations to these houses? If one were to buy a lot and build, are there architectural restrictions? Perhaps some or all of these answers are in the links you've provided. If so, I apologize in advance as I've yet to read all of them. But I'm also interested in personal opinions. Why or why wouldn't someone want to live in this area?

Old 02-12-2014, 12:08 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,621,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkurpiers View Post
Hi TamRE,

Thank you for the links. Some I've already visited based on your replies to other inquiries, and some I've yet to read. I will do so in the coming days.

At this point what I've not been able to get a read on, or opinions about, is about the historic area of Punta Gorda directly west of US 41 and north of West Henry Street (and east of PGI). This area appears to offer walking/biking distance to downtown as well as Fisherman's Village, Gilchrist Park and Laishley Park.

I'm interested in Pros vs Cons for this area. Obviously, some of the homes are from the early 20th century. Are there restrictions regarding modifications/renovations to these houses? If one were to buy a lot and build, are there architectural restrictions? Perhaps some or all of these answers are in the links you've provided. If so, I apologize in advance as I've yet to read all of them. But I'm also interested in personal opinions. Why or why wouldn't someone want to live in this area?
It's a lovely area and I don't know for sure but because these houses were built before there were any regulations for flooding and wind the insurance rates for those properties could be very very high if not now than in the future.

Gary

Old 02-12-2014, 12:26 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,521,052 times
The area you are talking about is the historic section of Punta Gorda. Drawbacks - in a flood zone with high flood and homeowner insurance. Some of the area does get street flooding during rainy season. They have been trying to correct the problem. Streets are one way on Marion and Olympia. Some older historic homes, a few newer homes, not deed restricted but does have city ordinances. Traffic can get backed up and hard to get to your home during events at Gilchrist Park. Dangerous crossing 41 on foot or by bike to get to the Laishley Park side. Pros - convenient to the Gilchrist Park and downtown walkable shops and restaurants. Close enough to History Park too. They have a farmers market there. Also on Thursdays they have a Music Jam Session at Gilchrist Park. Anyone can go and join in. On the third Thursday of every month they have the downtown Punta Gorda Gallery walk. The shops stay open late and they have music, sometimes wine or popcorn or whatever the shops decide to put out. There is also always something going on at Fishermen's Village and events throughout the year at the parks.

Punta Gorda is a great place to live with a lot of things to do if you get out and do them.

If you were to purchase a lot and build, it would just have to meet the current zoning and building codes by Charlotte County and the City of Punta Gorda. You were asking about the historic regulations - here is the city link City of Punta Gorda Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte