Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 06:20 AM

378 posts, read 629,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
I hear live plants in the pool cage is a real bad idea because of leaf and flower debris into the pool. Is that agreed?
We have some cactus and agave - look good, easy care, no mess.[/quote]

Cactus and agave next to the pool! Ouch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 06:46 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
3 week Update:

My GC received a stamp of approval from the structural engineer and emailed me to say he had filed for a permit with Charlotte County. I go online and there it is...just like he said. Pending review. Wow, a contractor who does as he says...how refreshing.

Next step for me is, today, move some mature hybiscus and pot them so the don't get destroyed in the wall demo. I've already relocated my irrigation controller, which also sat outside that wall.

We are going to put some furniture on craigslist today in order to make room inside the house. We will replace with new after construction. Will take the "before" photo today will taking pics for the CL ad. Will post one next time I update.
Here is a before photo from inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Remodeling with pocket sliders-image.jpg  

Old 03-08-2014, 06:51 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,654 times
When do they start the work?

Gary

Old 03-08-2014, 07:02 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,963,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsky View Post
We have some cactus and agave - look good, easy care, no mess.

Cactus and agave next to the pool! Ouch![/quote]

Well....yeah....just be careful if you like skinnydipping in the dark.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
When do they start the work?

Gary
As soon as the county approves the permit. I'm thinking another week or so.
GC said project will take 3-4 weeks after he starts.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:53 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,141 times
seems like a long time 4 weeks
your just doing the sider right not a lania?

Old 03-09-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM8560 View Post
seems like a long time 4 weeks
your just doing the sider right not a lania?
Correct, Mike. I can't comment on the timeline, as this is a first for me. He may also be including the time from the day he filed the permit. We shall see. Remember that he has to remove part of my roof and pour a cement tie beam header, as the existing structure is a lintel block.

Here's the existing wall from the outside.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 03-18-2014, 06:44 PM

Signing our pool contract tomorrow. Will file pool permit but delay ground breaking until pocket sliders are done. Told my wife, this feels like 2004 all over again. That's the year we built a new house in Phoeniix.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:39 AM

We have a permit! Lumber for roof bracing came this morning. Demo dumpster coming today.
Here's the last photo of what it looks like today.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 03-25-2014, 07:59 AM

On day 1 they braced up the roof trusses and built a temp wall to keep the critters and the work outside of the house. Crews faced heavy rains at times but were very careful not to trash my house. 10 yard dumpster was placed in driveway, carefully not to damage my front yard grass and sprinklers. Back windows were removed from the wall to be demo'd.

Electric was pulled from the outlets on that wall today, to be relocated later. With 50% chance of rain today, not likely any more work will be done. The next step is to remove the deck from a portion of our roof, in anticipation of pouring a concrete tie beam to support the trusses. The tie beam is needed because the existing support was a lentil around the windows and it's being demo'd with the block wall and windows.

Here's a photo from outside. You can see the temp wall inside. (Forgive the lousy backyard lawn, I quit maintaining it when we decided to put a pool in)
Attached Thumbnails
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte