U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 05:07 PM

281 posts, read 287,207 times

Advertisements

Hi. Newbie here. I have done a Google and several searches here to find the answer. Is the Interceptor Lagoon in South Gulf Cove a no wake area or speed restricted area? I have seen photos and Google maps that lead me to believe it is not a no wake area. But a realtor I am working with (seems to dislike SGC) tells me all the properties I ask about are all over an hour away from the lock.
We are not in love with SGC but it is in an area we like with harbor access. Any other suggestions?

Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 07:54 PM

518 posts, read 1,041,476 times
The large lagoon is not a no wake zone. Someone might complain if you took an offshore boat across it at 75 to 100 mph. It does only have one lock. Which if that place ever started building a lot of homes it could take a long time to get through it on a busy day. They have tried a few times to get the second lock passed and built but I don't think it will ever get passed in till someone gets hurt going out of just one lock. Most people don't like it because it can take hours to get to the gulf. Plus know that gas is high it costs a lot to run your boat or for that matter your car to the shopping mall which is also far away. Also don't forget the airport that is a long way away if you like to travel. I have owned lots there for 20 years off and on and it really doesn't look much different now than then. I call it a flippers dream because that is mostly what goes on there. But I still like the area.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:36 AM

Is the channel that leads from the lagoon to the lock a no wake zone? How many boats can go thru the lock each cycle? Say 20' boats. How long does each lock cycle take? Is the water level in the channel higher elevation or lower than the river?

I am not someone who would take the boat out every day. But like to be near water. I also would not care to drive for an hour thru no wake zones to get to the river. That is why I am asking. As far as the location, I like the away from the crowd and major roads. From where we live now things there would be close.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:56 AM

412 posts, read 655,557 times
Hope this helps.

Pura Vida, South Gulf Cove Lock - YouTube

Old 04-05-2014, 08:20 AM

518 posts, read 1,041,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Is the channel that leads from the lagoon to the lock a no wake zone? How many boats can go thru the lock each cycle? Say 20' boats. How long does each lock cycle take? Is the water level in the channel higher elevation or lower than the river?

I am not someone who would take the boat out every day. But like to be near water. I also would not care to drive for an hour thru no wake zones to get to the river. That is why I am asking. As far as the location, I like the away from the crowd and major roads. From where we live now things there would be close.
The channel levels in South Gulf Cove are around 4 to 5 feet deep in the sea wall areas. Stick to the front areas nearest the lock. It costs a lot more but well worth it in the long run. That is why you see more very nice houses in that area. They also have no bridges which is much better for resale along with the much shorter time to the river. The locks length is 52 feet long and not that wide. It goes fairly slow by remote now. Great utube of it. Once you pass the mid point of the area it can take a long time to get to the lock and beyond. The lots with out sea walls are only 4 feet deep in the center of the canal. My health is bad now so trolling in canals is about all I can do any more. So that is why I still like this area. Plus I live part time in the Colorado Rockies at 11,000 feet and this area is a lot like it without the mountains and cold. Good luck.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:56 PM

686 posts, read 1,405,243 times
Awesome vid!!!! The only lock I've ever been through is the Great Bridge lock in Norfolk. Nice to watch it when you're not on a boat.
Cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dave View Post
Hope this helps.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:49 AM

Thank You for all the replies.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:57 PM
rcv

1 posts, read 3,402 times
we live in south gulf cove, in the sailboat access area on the south end. we have a pontoon boat that goes 18 mph max. it takes us less than 30 minutes to go from our dock on Appleton to the lock. the lock is quick and easy,we never have to wait. according to my depth finder the depth of our canal and the waterway vary from about 6 to 7 ft. in the waterway the depth is consistant thoughout the entire area shore to shore. There is hardly ever anyone boating the Interceptor waterway, its like we have our own personal 500 acre lake, with access to the gulf. The only complaint I have is there are not a lot of fish. rcv

Old 05-03-2017, 10:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,186 times
I note all these posts are older but I found them informative. We just purchased a lot in South Gulf Cove on the lagoon. I called the folks at the Charlotte County government who are in charge of the lock (South Gulf Cove). The lock is 80 feet long and 19 feet wide. The usual depth is 6 1/2 feet but can vary between just under 5 feet to 8 feet depending on circumstances. However, the depth does not usually vary much. We noted a lot of new construction in the SGC community but the price of lots vary widely based on water frontage, closeness to the lagoon, deep water (sail boat; no bridges) or power boat that require the boat pass underneath bridges to get to the lagoon and lock, if electricity is near the lot, and if the lot backs up on protected land.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:21 PM

305 posts, read 222,707 times
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiege1224 View Post
The large lagoon is not a no wake zone. Someone might complain if you took an offshore boat across it at 75 to 100 mph. It does only have one lock. Which if that place ever started building a lot of homes it could take a long time to get through it on a busy day. They have tried a few times to get the second lock passed and built but I don't think it will ever get passed in till someone gets hurt going out of just one lock. Most people don't like it because it can take hours to get to the gulf. Plus know that gas is high it costs a lot to run your boat or for that matter your car to the shopping mall which is also far away. Also don't forget the airport that is a long way away if you like to travel. I have owned lots there for 20 years off and on and it really doesn't look much different now than then. I call it a flippers dream because that is mostly what goes on there. But I still like the area.
Hi, we're building there and I have to disagree with some of your comments, largely based on others input in this forum.

"Most people don't like it because it can take hours to get to the gulf."

Hours? I don't think so, maybe a bit over an hour, but I'll let someone that's made the trip chime in.
Also, have you seen the flotillas that the SGC Yacht Club have in the lagoon? Doesn't look to me like they "don't like it".

AZ, check out: South Gulf Cove Yacht Club
You'll see a lot of people enjoying the lagoon, looks like an awesome, semi-private place to hang out. Can't wait to join em!

The airport is about an hour, hardly what I would call "far".

There's a ton of new houses in SGC, including ours, soon! So, I can't see how it can look like it did 20 years ago.

For us, a house with a pool on the water with access to the gulf, for a price we could afford (still not cheap), it's a dream coming true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or