Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 03:04 PM

5 posts, read 8,844 times

Advertisements

We are planning on retiring in the Port Charlotte/Englewood area this summer. We would like to be on a canal and within 10 minutes or so to the beach. We have been looking in the SGC area. Are there any other areas that are better suited for that price range. We plan on either building on a lot or buying an existing home. Any thoughts on that. Our top budget is about $375000.00 for everything. Prices seem to be so much more affordable in this area. We looked in the Naples area and anything reasonably new on a canal is over $1,000,000.00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 03:35 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
Are you looking to just be on a canal or are you looking for a Gulf access canal? Read some of the threads on City-Data about South Gulf Cove. It is a long ride out to the gulf if that is what you are looking for. You may want to look in Port Charlotte along the Edgewater to Ohara area which will be quicker out to the gulf. There are also some older homes in Punta Gorda Isles in your price range, but if you want a newer home those in PGI are $400k and above. There are some other areas along the Myakka River in Port Charlotte near Irwin and Eisenhower that are on decent canals. Gulf Cove also has homes right along the Myakka River too. The Edgewater and Harbor area also has salt-water sailboat canal access homes. Or Harbor Heights area.

Out of all of these the closest to a gulf beach would be Gulf Cove. Or the Port Charlotte Beach Complex is off of Harbor and Edgewater, which is a river beach not a gulf beach. You may also find something in Cape Haze which is closer to the beach.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:41 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegirl54 View Post
We are planning on retiring in the Port Charlotte/Englewood area this summer. We would like to be on a canal and within 10 minutes or so to the beach. We have been looking in the SGC area. Are there any other areas that are better suited for that price range. We plan on either building on a lot or buying an existing home. Any thoughts on that. Our top budget is about $375000.00 for everything. Prices seem to be so much more affordable in this area. We looked in the Naples area and anything reasonably new on a canal is over $1,000,000.00.
It really depends on what you're looking for. I live very close to South Gulf Cove on Palm Island. South Gulf Cove takes a very long time to get to open water but it is closer to the beaches. Punta Gorda Isles has much shorter access in many areas but is farther from the beaches. At this point there are some good deals on the water so it probably doesn't make much sense to build. You can most likely buy an existing home cheaper. I think you need to take a look at both communities and figure out what your top priorities are-closer to the beaches and shorter distance out or farther from the beaches and not as far to open water.

Have you looked at Palm Island? There are a few homes out here on the water in your range. I've also seen some decent deals in the Cape Haze/Englewood area lately.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:51 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
I know SFG loves Palm Island, me it would drive me crazy living there. we like taking the boat over for the day but being stuck there , I don't know. there's one tiny little shop and a below average restaurant. otherwise you have to ferry over to the mainland every time you want a burger or a bottle of milk.

SGC seems hot right now, yes you have the saltwater canals but as has been well documented its a long boat ride to the ocean. I have also heard the mossie can be brutal out there, not sure if that's true. we have looked at building out there but not sure whether the market is good enough.

as for beaches , Boca is nice and local and we dock our boat at Gasparilla marina, 5 mins drive 15 minutes to the gulf...nice

If any old canal or a lake would do why not look at Rotonda ?

Old 04-07-2014, 07:19 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegirl54 View Post
We are planning on retiring in the Port Charlotte/Englewood area this summer......... Prices seem to be so much more affordable in this area. We looked in the Naples area and anything reasonably new on a canal is over $1,000,000.00.
I moved here 10 years ago and bumped into several people I knew from my business before in new Hampshire. because it was an affordable area

Old 04-08-2014, 07:08 AM

Thanks for all the info! Will check into the areas. We would rather stay on the mainland and want to have our boat on the canal, but putting it in a marina and letting them take care of it is also a good option. We checked out the Rotunda but really like being by water. We are from a small city and really like the "small town atmosphere" of this area compared to the Naples/Fort Myers area. During the winter months the traffic is crazy in the bigger cities.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:28 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
what I like about the marina is the no hassle option. they put it in the water, they take it out and flush it, there is a mechanic and gas on site ...all for $225 a month.....hassle free

a home on a canal will cost a big $$ premium and as has been mentioned from SGC you are a LONG way from the ocean

that's my thinking , of course each to their own so good luck

Old 04-08-2014, 02:18 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Here's an article in todays paper about the Freedom Boat Club: For locally based boat club, smoother sailing | HeraldTribune.com

Old 04-09-2014, 06:25 AM

The marina sounds like the way to go. We are expanding our search to homes not on a canal, but closer to the beach and marina. Any ideas of what areas?
Thanks so much for all the posts! They are so helpful.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:48 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
Do you want to be in a deed-restricted community or non-deed restricted? South Gulf Cove has lots that are not on canals, Rotonda West, Eden Harbor, Gulf Cove, anywhere along 776 (S McCall Rd) has non-deed restricted homes, Lake Marlin, Oyster Creek, Stillwater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte