U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 07:06 PM

Location: Port Charlotte, FL - Pasadena, People's Republic of Maryland
2,929 posts, read 2,811,590 times

Advertisements

BN1, I recently bought a 22' Boston Whaler Dauntless for pretty much the same uses that you mentioned; it fishes relatively skinny water with only a 12" draft, has a head in the step-down console, and provides a dry ride in quartering white-caps. However, I have not had a chance to test it in 2-3 footers and will avoid doing so by choice; I'm more into comfort and will wait out a windy day for one where the winds lay down. I'm impressed with the ride in chop and the 225 Merc gets it up on plane in a heartbeat.
As a previous Grady White and Luhrs sportfish owner, I give this boat a thumbs up. Ask me in a year after fishing the harbor, gulf, and Chesapeake Bay with it and see if I still feel the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 07:21 PM

1,687 posts, read 2,061,366 times
if I was going new id consider a sailfish ive worked on many and they have some nice creature comforts.
'I have a SeaCraft and Sailfish copied the hull design. and mine is very forgiving in a chop and stable in flat water

Old 04-15-2014, 05:08 AM

50 posts, read 50,552 times
Default Carolina Skiff 23 Ultra Elite SS

Is anyone familiar with this boat a Carolina Skiff 23 Ultra Elite SS. This is one boat I have looked at but I have never been on a Skiff. Any thoughts on if this would meet my requirement I listed in the first post.

Thanks,

Buckeye

Old 04-15-2014, 05:30 AM

3,107 posts, read 4,517,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Ray Mark View Post
sound the deck and hull to look for soft spots (sounding is process where you tap on the fiberglass surface with a hammer to listen for spots that make a dull thud sound that usually indicates moisture and/or delamination). Sounding is something you would need someone with experience to do for you. Typically this would be done by a surveyor but since we're not talking about a lot of money maybe you can pay a mechanic to check it out for you.
Even better than sounding is a surveyor or mechanic with a moisture meter. They simply run it over the fiberglass (deck, hull, transom) and it senses even miniscule amounts of moisture.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:32 AM

3,107 posts, read 4,517,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknut1 View Post
Is anyone familiar with this boat a Carolina Skiff 23 Ultra Elite SS. This is one boat I have looked at but I have never been on a Skiff. Any thoughts on if this would meet my requirement I listed in the first post.

Thanks,

Buckeye
Skiffs are a rough ride in choppy seas. A lot of people own them down here though...

Old 04-15-2014, 06:45 AM

1,917 posts, read 1,972,073 times
Quote:

Thanks,

Buckeye
As Harbor Hopper said .... Rough ride.

They have a modifies V hull meaning there is a V in the front that will cut through some chop but the bottom is flat.

If your plan is to stay local (canals and the edges of the harbor it would work but I would think anything over 1 foot and your going to take a beating.

The boat could meet your needs buy you are really going to have to pick your days

Gary

Old 04-15-2014, 07:46 AM

2,118 posts, read 2,986,202 times
As a the guy who owned 3 different boat types in 6 years here before I feel like I figured out what I needed...

If you are just into pleasure boating and restaurant hopping, get something for comfort but you will be limited in the kind of fishing you want to do.

If you are a serious angler, who only wants "big fish", get something that handles 2-3'ers and be prepared to spend $200 in fuel every time you go off shore.

If you are a serious angler, who loves to catch fish almost every time you go out and you don't care if it's a keeper or a catch and release...you just love to fish....get the most shallow draft, flats boat you can in order to get into the backwaters and mangroves and sacrifice comfort.

My 4 boats in life were:

AZ
1995 Sea Ray 330 Sundancer cruiser with twin 7.4 liter I/O on a desert lake in AZ no trailer
Made for comfortable living, not for fishing. Need to keep your fuel supplier and banker on speed dial.
Bought for $70k, sold 3 years later for $75k

Charlotte Harbor
2002 Seamaster 2600 Walk Around Cabin with Volvo Penta I/O (poor man's Grady White) no trailer
Bought for 20k, sold 3 years later for $17,500

2003 Key West 196 Bay Reef with Yama 150 2 stroke carborated (gas hog) w/ trailer
Bought for 11k, sold 3 years later for $13k

1994 Mako 161 flats with '95 Mercury 115 2 stroke 2+2 cylinder (good on gas) w/ trailer
Bought for $9600...love it like a you can't believe. Someday will need new motor at $12k.

80% of the time I am fishing alone. I find the smaller boat, the better on fuel and maintenance.
I like to use my trailer part of the year to fish all over SWFL and my boat is small enough to launch/retrieve alone.

I would not say that I have to pick my days carefully. Flats boats can fish the harbor the majority of weeks. Remember that when it's windy in the open water, you may wish you could floats into the Myakka Cutoff to escape the wind and still bring home dinner.

If someone tells you their boat draws 12", take your test ride through the Myakka cutoff, from the Peace River side to the Myakka River side at zero tide. It's only a 15 minute ride....unless you run aground.

The best advice is to ride several versions of boats to see what you like. Otherwise, you'll be buying/selling like me. If you want the best off both worlds, a Bay Boat hull will give you that. Whatever you do, get an outboard motor for boating here, not an I/O.

Good luck

Old 04-15-2014, 08:12 AM

2,932 posts, read 3,982,599 times
Quote:

Thanks,

Buckeye
Rough rider in any kind of chop. If you're going in that direction, you're better off looking at a Carolina Skiff Sea Chaser Bay Runner. More of a hybrid.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:29 PM

50 posts, read 50,552 times
That's good stuff to know about a Carolina. That's the great thing about talking with you guys. I would rule out the Carolina then. What do you guys think would be more of a hybrid boat cause the wife would not do well with a real rough ride would like to stay as dry as possible to.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:50 PM

6,102 posts, read 13,038,565 times
Quote:

Thanks,

Buckeye
Agreed, Carolina Skiffs are going to suffer down here. Wind picks up every afternoon typically, making the harbor choppy and rough. If you have passengers that like to joy ride - it will be a real disappointment for them.

Carolina Skiffs are a great work boat if you are a crabber, and cary a lot of pots, and also if you like to fish in shallow areas.

Most people like to mix up their uses, and fishing locations going to the pass, going to the inland waterways, fishing "the holes" in the harbor, and fishing along the walls and Mayaka Cut off. In order to fish a variety of water, you need a versatile boat. A center console, with a V-hull are a good all round choice. Smaller and medium size 4 stroke engines are more affordable if you plan to use it a lot and run around a lot.

Flats boats are great for shallow fishing, but not good passenger boats if you want to run around the harbor (unless your passenger is used to being on that kind of boat. Larger Cruisers are good for passengers, deeper fishing areas, but can be a hit to the wallet if you are going to do a lot of running around.

I have a 21' Sea Hunt Center console fishing boat with a 115 yamaha, and it will run 30 knots. It gets around the harbor really well. I usually start out fishing for bait, and then run down to the larger holes, or near the pass, or Bocillia, or the Pine Island Bridge are to fish for bigger fish, although sometimes I just catch bait, and fish near Marker 1, 2, & 3 at the North end of the Harbor. I run a lot, and this boat is affordable. I plan on using it for a while longer because I love to fish and so do all my guests. That said, I plan on upgrading to a cruiser for some traveling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte