Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 11:26 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times

Advertisements

Thank you for this answer. Exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. So basically it will be close to an hour out to open water from the bird section via Ponce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 11:50 AM

747 posts, read 1,011,432 times
Yes, about an hour minimum.

We've looked at probably 50+ houses and lots in PGI. From street view (in person), in the houses themselves, and from the canals via boat.

Assuming a baseline house of something modern and well built and very nice that's within 20 min. of open water, we found it's about a $150k+ discount for living at least double that time away from open water.

Is that savings worth it? Depends on one's circumstances and interests, of course.

Last edited by SJNE17; 04-17-2014 at 12:00 PM..

Old 04-17-2014, 12:47 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
Last month I got thru it about 4 hours after low tide in a 19' cc with a 115hp outboard and 1 other passenger. It was a little dicey, rarely if ever more than 2' of depth in center of channel, mostly 1.5'. I had the motor trimmed out as absolutely high as possible as we idled through it.

Luckily no other boats coming our way. If so, there's no way we could have passed each other. And heaven forbid if we ran aground, I had no inclination to jump into that creek named after Alligators to try and push it out, figuring worst case we'd wait for someone else coming through or for high tide, whichever came first.

That cut through is not something I'd look to do often, and somewhat soured our taste for a place in the bird section. Of course, if we did ultimately live there we'd have to be careful about planning for timing/tides. You just can't hop in boat and go through there on a whim, which for us would be half the fun.

All that said, if you had a not-too-big flats boat with very little draft, then it'd likely be no problem.
Its nice if you have a smaller boat. The bird section has a lot of newer, nice, big homes. Many people that live there want a bigger boat as well, and thus want good deep water access. So it takes time from there to get out. If you have a smaller fishing boat, the cut through can save some time, but that's why I warn people, you can do it. But, if you want to use it regularly, you probably need to think twice if you have hopes of having, or own a larger boat. And, my friend lives as far as achievable from getting out of the bird section. The cut through doesn't save HIM, much time, but it can save others time depending on where they live, and again their boat of course.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:11 PM

BH: in other words, have a big boat for when time's no issue, and a smaller flats boat for fishin'. Perfect! Two boats!

Old 04-17-2014, 01:55 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
Quote:
BH: in other words, have a big boat for when time's no issue, and a smaller flats boat for fishin'. Perfect! Two boats!

Exactly!
Don't forget the two fully stocked coolers one for each boat. That's all you'll need - even if I drop by.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:04 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,629,330 times
Quote:

I contend that you need 3 boats

One with a suitable cabin with A/C good for weekend or week long trips

One that will get you to the fishing grounds off shore and run ok in 2 to 3 footers

One with a flat bottom that draws as little as possible to get you into the flats for fishing.

Gary

Old 04-17-2014, 02:21 PM

493 posts, read 636,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
I contend that you need 3 boats

One with a suitable cabin with A/C good for weekend or week long trips

One that will get you to the fishing grounds off shore and run ok in 2 to 3 footers

One with a flat bottom that draws as little as possible to get you into the flats for fishing.

Gary
So Gary, of the three boats you have now all of them are wrong. How did you manage that?

Old 04-17-2014, 02:26 PM

we were looking at a house out in timbuktoo (a.k.a. bird section) that has lots of seawall, easily 2 boats' worth.

i need to show this thread to my wife. "yes honey, it means having 3 boats, and yes the budget's blown to hell, but think of the overall VALUE!"

Old 04-17-2014, 03:40 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,774,924 times
Quote:
we were looking at a house out in timbuktoo (a.k.a. bird section) that has lots of seawall, easily 2 boats' worth.

i need to show this thread to my wife. "yes honey, it means having 3 boats, and yes the budget's blown to hell, but think of the overall VALUE!"

My friend, if you can sell that...I've got to hang out with you!

Old 04-17-2014, 03:50 PM

hah. i've gotten her ok with just having a boat to begin with! her only requirement is one that has a porta-potty. small victory, but i'll take it.

i don't know if i can squeeze in a 23' cc, deck boat or walkaround (either of which i'd like to have) through poachers cut routinely. at high tide or near it, yes i think that could be done, so long as the draft is around 18" or so. anything more than that, i'd rather that navigation not be the main source of stress on the day.

the route of poacher's cut that i followed emptied right into the middle/tail end of alligator creek. there's a turnoff to the right while going through poacher's cut that looks like, when viewing on satellite, it empties almost right into the harbor. when we got to that, there was a local in a canoe doing some fishing that said, "you don't want to take that boat through there in this tide," so i took his advice and went the longer route (another 5 min. or so).

like i said, the alternative if living in bird land is keep a boat a 5-10 min. drive at one of the marinas or yacht clubs. but that's kind of lame and defeats the purpose of having a house with a boat lift in your backyard in the first place.

Last edited by SJNE17; 04-17-2014 at 04:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte