U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 01:06 PM

33 posts, read 43,393 times

Advertisements

In Florida, who normally pays for the title search when selling a house - seller or buyer? If the seller chooses and pays for the title search, does the buyer have to worry that the title is really free and clear of any liens or encumbrances? As the buyer, are you better off choosing the title search company and paying for it yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 01:28 PM

3,961 posts, read 8,461,358 times
Who pays for title is a negotiable item on the contract in Florida. It is pretty split as to who pays for it, buyer or seller. It doesn't matter which party pays for it as long as they get title insurance too and not just a title search. Title insurance is a policy that is issued by an insurer or agent and the buyer and his/her heirs are covered as long as he/she owns the property. In the case of most bank foreclosures, the bank pays for the title search and title insurance for the buyer. Title insurance is especially helpful if you run into an issue during ownership that was not discovered during the initial search done by the agency. This is called an Owner's Policy.

There is also title insurance through a lender, which the buyer pays for. This is called a Loan Policy.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:00 PM

33 posts, read 43,393 times
Is it "normal" to ask the seller to pay for the title search and title insurance. Are these two different expenses at closing? How does the buyer protect themselves?

Old 04-17-2014, 02:55 PM

3,574 posts, read 5,796,178 times
I always choose to pay title whenever I sell a home ,so I get to choose my title company who are good and quick. that way I control the process

Old 04-17-2014, 03:17 PM

9,651 posts, read 6,939,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
Who pays for title is a negotiable item on the contract in Florida. It is pretty split as to who pays for it, buyer or seller. It doesn't matter which party pays for it as long as they get title insurance too and not just a title search. Title insurance is a policy that is issued by an insurer or agent and the buyer and his/her heirs are covered as long as he/she owns the property. In the case of most bank foreclosures, the bank pays for the title search and title insurance for the buyer. Title insurance is especially helpful if you run into an issue during ownership that was not discovered during the initial search done by the agency. This is called an Owner's Policy.

There is also title insurance through a lender, which the buyer pays for. This is called a Loan Policy.
If I recall when we sold our house in Miami last year, the buyers paid for the Title Search, but we were asked to locate the and submit a copy of our Owner's Policy from when we bought the house in 1985. That way, I guess the buyer's title search only had to go back as far as the effective date of our owner's policy, or 1985. I wasn't sure we still had it, or whether that document had gone the way of so many of the things we had that blew off into the hinterlands in Hurricane Andrew. In that event, I guess I would have agreed to pay for that part of the title search. But we found it.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:31 AM

3,961 posts, read 8,461,358 times
The way the Florida contract is written provides choices.

Seller will select the title agent and will pay for the owner's title policy, search, examination and related charges.
or
Buyer will select the title agent and will pay for the owner's title policy, search, examination and related charges.
or
Buyer will select the title agent and Seller will pay for the owner's policy, search, examination and related charges.

However, it can be changed and written in under additional terms to read whatever way you want. I have had buyer and seller split the costs too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or