U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 09:18 AM

9,661 posts, read 6,959,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by born01930 View Post
What is nice is much of the wildlife here is not afraid of people. I have wild rabbits that just stare at me when I walk in the yard, the scrub jays take food from your hand, the shrikes nab bugs right at your feet. The alligator is the one that is shiest as it swims away as soon as it sees me...not that I am complaining.
Thing is, while I know the idea of that wildlife being unafraid, and taking food from humans is enchanting, but doing so is not good for the birds and other animals. Having them become dependent on humans for food, and losing their natural wariness of the unfamiliar dulls their sense of survival, increasing their risk of becoming less than the "fittest" needed for survival of the species, so to speak.

Every naturalist, everyone involved with wildlife rescues, even law enforcement personnel will tell you the same thing, and there are laws, actually, against feeding or "molesting" ( considering anything to encourage these animals to become "friendly" is what they mean by that) wildlife, especially endangered species- such as scrubjays.

And those experienced and familiar with the flora and fauna in this neck of the woods will tell you that the problem alligators are those who've been fed by humans and so have come to associate humans with food.

All in all, while it's wonderful to see and enjoy the wildlife in their natural habitat around, it's best to observe it all from afar, and do your best not to even let the critters know you're around. Or do your best in that regard.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 09:32 AM

174 posts, read 322,702 times
A baby gecko let me touch him! LOL

Old 05-01-2014, 10:50 AM

224 posts, read 267,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Thing is, while I know the idea of that wildlife being unafraid, and taking food from humans is enchanting, but doing so is not good for the birds and other animals. Having them become dependent on humans for food, and losing their natural wariness of the unfamiliar dulls their sense of survival, increasing their risk of becoming less than the "fittest" needed for survival of the species, so to speak.

Every naturalist, everyone involved with wildlife rescues, even law enforcement personnel will tell you the same thing, and there are laws, actually, against feeding or "molesting" ( considering anything to encourage these animals to become "friendly" is what they mean by that) wildlife, especially endangered species- such as scrubjays.

And those experienced and familiar with the flora and fauna in this neck of the woods will tell you that the problem alligators are those who've been fed by humans and so have come to associate humans with food.

All in all, while it's wonderful to see and enjoy the wildlife in their natural habitat around, it's best to observe it all from afar, and do your best not to even let the critters know you're around. Or do your best in that regard.
All that I spoke of happens in my backyard. Scrub Jays are known for their tameness...heck they follow me when I walk around the yard. My neighbor has a flock of birds visit everyday as they have feeders galore.

I am sure your comment was given with good intention, but the reason the wildlife here are so tame is because people pretty much ignore them. The bunny doesn't run cause I am not going to eat it. The shrike enjoys the bugs I stir up when my bozo feet go clomping through the grass, the scrub jays like me for my personality...don't know why wally gator is shy, but I am not going to ask.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:55 PM

9,661 posts, read 6,959,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by born01930 View Post
All that I spoke of happens in my backyard. Scrub Jays are known for their tameness...heck they follow me when I walk around the yard. My neighbor has a flock of birds visit everyday as they have feeders galore.

I am sure your comment was given with good intention, but the reason the wildlife here are so tame is because people pretty much ignore them. The bunny doesn't run cause I am not going to eat it. The shrike enjoys the bugs I stir up when my bozo feet go clomping through the grass, the scrub jays like me for my personality...don't know why wally gator is shy, but I am not going to ask.
No intention on my part to intrude on your "Dr. Doolittle" fantasy, but wild animals do best when they're undisturbed by humans. It may well be that the rabbits in your yard see humans often enough ( they're not in a wildlife setting in your yard, after all) that they aren't alarmed when they see you, and both the Humane Society and wildlife organizations state it's ok to have birdfeeders in the yard, and to watch the birds from a distance, not disturbing them. But those scrubjays would not take food from human hands ( as you stated in your last post) if humans didn't offer them food, and they sure wouldn't follow the humans around expecting that food if they didn't get it.

And Wally gator is a wild animal with no natural interest in humans, and if you don't feed him he should stay that way.

Four Reasons Not to Feed Wild Animals (Plus Four Ways to Help Them) : The Humane Society of the United States

PAWS - The Effects of Feeding Wildlife
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte