U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 04:07 PM

50 posts, read 51,050 times

Advertisements

As some of you know I have been searching diligently for a home in PC/ PG area because we really like it here and the people we have met and talked to are my kinda people. The help on this board has been invaluable. After our 43 home search we find one that we really like. The home is buy-owner and is less than ten years old. Just about to pull the trigger and the Chinese Drywall problem rears its ugly head! The house has been " remediated " I assume that can mean many different things. I have been told that all the drywall has been replaced. Supposedly, there is a report and an inspection form (which I have not seen yet) that says everything is OK now. I have also been told there are no signs of black stuff in the outlets and no smell. I am once again asking for your thoughts about this potential issue. What should I look for in the house. If it doesn't smell in the winter month's could there be lingering odors that might show up in summer time? Does the odor permeate the house structure even though the drywall has been removed? The remediation took place 4 years after it was built. Should I have my own inspection done by a company? (no idea of the cost). If you have a name of a company that would help me. My wife does have some issues with allergies would this cause her more problems? I thought we were almost residents of your great community, now getting a little twitchy about pulling the trigger.

Thanks folks,

Buckeye
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 06:19 PM

704 posts, read 574,276 times
As a retired real estate agent, with no experience in Florida, I would find the best Chinese drywall inspector that I could just to make sure. I would definitely want my own inspection done. With that being said, I'm sure that there are people on this forum who can give you better instruction. So, I 'm not a lot of help other than to say use a great deal of caution and protect yourself however you can.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:28 PM

7,486 posts, read 19,938,728 times
I've been in lots and lots of homes with CDW. I would never, under any circumstance, live in a home that has ever been known to have CDW. The tainted drywall effects just about everything in the house-faucets, electrical wiring, drywall, appliances, A/C coils, etc. It's been known to cause serious respiratory issues. I've been in homes that have remediation and they still experience health (respiratory issues) after remediation. I won't personally represent anyone purchasing a home that has or ever has been known to have CDW due to liability and possible long term health issues. Here's a pic of an A/C coil on a home that a client was looking at purchasing-until they found this:

If the property truly has been remediated then these items are recommended to be replaced:
* Replacement of all drywall in the home;
* Replacement of all electrical wiring (insulated and uninsulated);
* Replacement of all copper pipes;
* Replacement of the entire HVAC system;
* Replacement of most appliances (particularly refrigerators);
* Replacement of electronics, such as TVs and computers;
* Replacement of all carpeting;
* Replacement of hardwood and vinyl flooring;
* Replacement of tile floor unless it can be protected during remediation;
* Replacement of cabinets and countertops (note, this ruling was based on economics
as the court found that it was more cost-effective in this case to replace these items rather than
attempt removal and storage);
* Replacement of trim, molding and baseboards;
* Replacement of all bathroom fixtures;
* After removal of all drywall, properties must be cleaned with HEPA vacuum, wet-wiped or power-
washed, and aired out for 15-30 days; and
* Property must be certified by an independent engineering company to certify that the
remediated home is safe.

This website has quite a lot of info regarding the subject:
Welcome to Chinesedrywall.com

Last edited by SoFLGal; 05-01-2014 at 06:43 PM..

Old 05-01-2014, 06:30 PM

3,577 posts, read 5,829,823 times
Heres my take....a while back we bought a home at auction with CDW. even though we could have remediated it would always have the stigma............so we walked, lost a deposit but didnt have the worry

it may be a great house , it may have been remediated you may be happy for years BUT when you come to sell it there will always be the stigma

personally I would walk.............just like if a girl told me she had aids once but was cured now.................sorry nasty analogy but see where Im coming from

Old 05-01-2014, 06:32 PM

3,577 posts, read 5,829,823 times
SFG I think you missed 'never'

Old 05-01-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
SFG I think you missed 'never'
Thanks Sunshine and if I remember right, the above pics were from the house you are speaking of.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:47 PM

Listen to SoFLGal!

Old 05-01-2014, 06:50 PM

89 posts, read 182,780 times
I assume a seller must disclose that his home had CDW--even if it has since been removed.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:04 PM

SoFLGal, since my husband and I are contemplating a move to your area, do we just immediately not look at homes built during the specified time period of the CDW?

Old 05-01-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gal View Post
SoFLGal, since my husband and I are contemplating a move to your area, do we just immediately not look at homes built during the specified time period of the CDW?
No, I would not rule them out. Only a small percentage of homes in that time period actually have/had CDW. Like I said before, I've been in many, many houses that have it. Generally it smells like firecrackers (from the sulfur). If it's only in a few boards it may be a very faint smell. If a smell is detected a quick check of the electrical sockets can be a tell tale sign. Often the copper wires are covered with a black soot like in the photos I posted. There are other easy to look for signs as well. If the home is somewhat newer and the A/C has been replaced. That's a red flag. If the faucets are corroded that can also be a sign but it can also be caused by the water. It's kind of like being a detective and putting the pieces together. I always recommend a good inspector but usually you can pick up on the signs of CDW right away.

There were also certain builders in the area who were known to build with it. I really keep an eye out when I'm walking through those homes. And believe it or not there are certain specific areas in towns (ie streets) that have more CDW homes than others. My guess is that they (the builder) would get a shipment in and throw the drywall up on several homes on the same street.

Keep in mind too, that if an older home was renovated in that time period, you might also have CDW in the house. Many homes were renovated after Hurricane Charley in 2004.

And thank you Old Gal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or