U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 10:49 AM

125 posts, read 120,184 times

Advertisements

I have a question for those who may know something about metal roofs. I purchased my home about a year ago and notice that the attic gets REALLY hot, about 40 degrees more than the outside temperature. The roof was replaced after Charley hit in 2004 with a metal roof, don't know if that contributes to excessive heat build up. There are numerous, maybe 12 soffit vents and one metal type vent on the roof. In the summer my air runs constantly and indoor temperature never gets below 78 degrees. I have had it checked and will probably have to be replaced within a year or 2. Is an attic fan something that is feasible with a metal roof? Are they even done very often in Florida? Any suggestions or opinions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 11:16 AM

1,917 posts, read 1,979,132 times
I don't have an answer to your vent question.

But how deep is the insulation in the attic, what color is the roof, what color is your house and how good are your windows?

I would think a 40 deg difference is probably pretty normal, better ventilation should bring those temps down.

Gary

Old 05-05-2014, 12:52 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,185,871 times
Mine is at least 40 degrees hotter too. My soffits aren't vented as well as they should be...and yours probably isn't either with "12 vents". My A/C also has a hard time keeping up in the summer.

I have old single pane windows, including a 25' slider which is probably my main problem. Last year I tinted my south facing windows with low-E tint and it made a huge difference. They are still leaky, but much less heat passes through and the house stays 4 degrees cooler. In fact, I still don't have my AC on yet this year, the tint helps that much.

Attic fan is on my list of possibilities....but I'm not sure it would help as I have a ridge vent and the two kinda don't mix.

I would think a metal roof would reflect more heat than asphalt shingles, so I doubt that's your problem. Windows (or tint) and insulation would probably help the most, but if you don't have a ridge vent then an attic fan would probably help a lot.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:46 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,741,386 times
You can paint a radiant barrier on the underside of the roof, makes a huge difference, can cut the interior attic temp differential by 50%.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:39 PM

125 posts, read 120,184 times
There is 12" of insulation, roof color is light tan as is the house. Windows are newer thermopane, also installed after Charlie. Restrain, I never heard of a radiant paint barrier but will certainly look into it as well as looking into an attic fan. I really think that with all that heat trapped up there it has to effect the cooling of the house. Thanks everyone for your responses!

Old 05-05-2014, 06:42 PM

1,917 posts, read 1,979,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doxies View Post
There is 12" of insulation, roof color is light tan as is the house. Windows are newer thermopane, also installed after Charlie. Restrain, I never heard of a radiant paint barrier but will certainly look into it as well as looking into an attic fan. I really think that with all that heat trapped up there it has to effect the cooling of the house. Thanks everyone for your responses!
12 inches of insulation will give you an R value of about 35, slightly over the minimum for our area R30

My attic has 20 inches of blown in insulation giving me an insulation R value of 60.

I have white house a light gray roof and old windows and I have no issues keeping my house cool in the summer on those 90 deg plus days.

Gary

Old 05-05-2014, 07:05 PM

6,102 posts, read 13,058,027 times
You need to have plenty of soffit vents - make sure they remain clear for good air circulation. I had attic vent fans installed in a house, and they are very much worth while to reduct the heat build up in the attic. All roof / attic areas get very hot here in the summer. Anything you can do to reduce that build up will help. Attic vent fans are pretty efficient, and thermostatically controlled to help.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:21 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,741,386 times
We use radiant barrier around here. The new decking all comes with it pre-installed. The spray-on type is very effective with solid decking or roofing. You can really tell the difference with attic temps between attics with and without it. We deal with summer temps routinely between 105-110 in the summer and it is proving valuable.

U can get it at HD, Lowes, etc

Old 05-06-2014, 05:34 AM

165 posts, read 195,711 times
The houses interior temp is a factor of how well the HVAC system is functioning, how well the attic is insulated, how well the windows and all other openings of the home stop air leak.
The HVAC system should cool the air temp at least 15 degrees from the temp it is entering the system, the temp entering the cold air returns, if its not you could experience what you are describing. Also, the attic insulation is important to keep the higher temp of the attic and the houses cooled air temp from mixing. If its not well insulated heat from the attic will drive up the homes interior temp. Further, if the windows are older and leak air your cooled interior air is flowing outside causing the HVAC system to work harder.
And yes cooling the attic down by vented soffits combined with roof venting is important.
Just my 2 cents but I would investigate all of these factors and see which is more important to invest in to achieve the cooling you are looking for.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:37 AM

1,639 posts, read 2,185,871 times
A cheap laser thermometer is a good tool to find out where the majority of heat is coming from....if the ceiling is hot your attic is the problem, walls- insulation, around windows etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte