Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 03:50 PM

747 posts, read 1,011,952 times

Advertisements

Good!

It pays to do the homework, and have your agent triple check things. Demand to see the reports/outputs that they use to underwrite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Yes, we are above 14'. And yes, the new company thinks that the old company possibly wrote the policy as being under 14'.

It's now in FEMA's hands to determine what the issue is.

Regardless, the new company is about $2k cheaper for the same homeowners policy. The jury is still out on the flood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 01:49 PM

241 posts, read 480,021 times
Krnfitz, don't understand how you are saying Tower Hill was higher than Amberg. Amberg is a broker . I got my insurance thru Amberg, last year they got me with Federated and this year with Tower Hill. I just have them hunt down who is the cheapest for the same coverage.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:44 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
The jury is still out on the flood.
Any update?

Old 06-11-2014, 01:07 PM

5,172 posts, read 4,945,353 times
I had an interesting experience with our flood insurance. Our rate this past year had gone up significantly. Upon looking over the policy I noticed that I never changed my residency to down here; we were still listed as a vacation, or second home. I called the insurance broker and the adjusted rate was hundreds less. It got me thinking; What does it matter whether it's a primary or second home...if it floods, it floods! Whether or not we're here! I didn't see anything in the binder saying I had to construct a dyke (not being non-PC...C-D wouldn't let me spell it with a "i" instead of a "y") around the house if flood waters start raising.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:51 PM

180 posts, read 277,114 times
When we were looking for insurance for our Fl home, our agent told us that if no one was living in the home full time insurance was higher because no one is home to notice when things go wrong, no matter what the problem.
Our vacation home is rented out and a pipe burst under the floor. Because we had renters, they noticed some dampness. But still, by the time they noticed damage exceeded $10,000. Our flood insurance paid most of it. Until this happened, I thought flood = hurricane. We probably wouldn't have known until our water bill came and by then damage would have been much higher.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:53 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
What does it matter whether it's a primary or second home...if it floods, it floods!
It matters because if you live in it year-round, you have the ability to take certain measures to minimize the flood impact to the home and/or it's contents. If you are up north, whatever happens happens.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:33 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I had an interesting experience with our flood insurance. Our rate this past year had gone up significantly. Upon looking over the policy I noticed that I never changed my residency to down here; we were still listed as a vacation, or second home. I called the insurance broker and the adjusted rate was hundreds less. It got me thinking; What does it matter whether it's a primary or second home...if it floods, it floods! Whether or not we're here! I didn't see anything in the binder saying I had to construct a dyke (not being non-PC...C-D wouldn't let me spell it with a "i" instead of a "y") around the house if flood waters start raising.

LOL, I thought the "non-PC" version of that word had the "Y" in it.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:39 AM

325 posts, read 507,532 times
Default Any updates on this thread?

As I will be looking for insurance in the next few days, I am wondering if anyone has updates to this info.
thanks
Clint

Old 06-23-2014, 10:09 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Yes, I do. Parquette spoke with the flood insurance provider at length and there was a small detail that they just weren't going to wave. My flood ended up at the higher rate but my homeowners was way, way less then all of the other quotes I got and I shopped around.

So, in the end I went with Parquette for insurance because of the better rates and superior companies that the policies would be written with. As I said before, I have been talking with Kim Wilson.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:18 AM

325 posts, read 507,532 times
Thank you very much. I will call her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: