U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 10:58 AM

52 posts, read 112,518 times

Advertisements

We used Jansen shutters and windows in Venice. We went with the accordion since we are not there full time (yet!) and when we are wanted the ease to close them and go. The only issue was it took longer for them to complete the job than expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 01:26 PM

140 posts, read 229,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
There is an upper Channel that the paella slide into and a bottom bracket with bolts that hold them secure.

I just up mine up for the second time and I'm ready for something new.

I had Stormsmart come out a few months ago to give me pricing for 3 roll up fabric for a slider and the front entry and fabric for the other windows on the house and the price came out to $9k....ouch.

My windows are old and not uninsulated circa 1990 so I would like to eventually have them replaced.

At this point I'm thinking my best option is to stay with what I have and eventually upgrade to hurricane resistant windows and be done with the shutters.

Gary
I saw some clear hurricane shutters advertised on Craig's List the other day. They look similar to the ones that I have except they have metal frames while mine have pvc. I like mine because they are perfectly clear like glass but they won't break. They mount over your windows and are supposed to upgrade your old windows to impact standards and make them last longer. I can't remember if they were in Ft. Myers, Sarasota or Tampa??

Old 06-19-2014, 08:43 AM

163 posts, read 189,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missguided1 View Post
I saw some clear hurricane shutters advertised on Craig's List the other day. They look similar to the ones that I have except they have metal frames while mine have pvc. I like mine because they are perfectly clear like glass but they won't break. They mount over your windows and are supposed to upgrade your old windows to impact standards and make them last longer. I can't remember if they were in Ft. Myers, Sarasota or Tampa??

Those sound like a pretty good type of shutter.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:08 AM

9,759 posts, read 7,038,572 times
Quote:
I don't know that these clear shutters would upgrade your windows any, but they would probably function as well as other shutters in keeping any flying debris from hitting, and hopefully breaking your windows in the event of a storm.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I don't know that these clear shutters would upgrade your windows any, but they would probably function as well as other shutters in keeping any flying debris from hitting, and hopefully breaking your windows in the event of a storm.
Did you find the posting, too? They will definitely upgrade your windows to hurricane impact standards. The ones that I saw in C/L had a Florida Product Approval #, too. From what I read in the posting, they also upgrade them in r-value to save on your electric bill. As I said, they are similar to the ones on my house and I wouldn't have anything else.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:41 PM

325 posts, read 374,537 times
Does anyone have any info on hurricanesafeshutters.com company that you want to share? Looks like I will need to install something just not sure what yet.
thanks
Clint

Old 06-25-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dobiedude View Post
Does anyone have any info on hurricanesafeshutters.com company that you want to share? Looks like I will need to install something just not sure what yet.
thanks
Clint
If they are the ones located in Ft. Myers, I have heard of them. As with any company, make sure the product you get is the one that you want - not the one that they want you to buy. There are many shutter companies between Ft. Myers and Cape Coral. Check them all out.There are pros and cons to each type of protection. Make sure that they tell you BOTH.

-Panels are least expensive, but they require a lot of labor to deploy for every storm, require storage and are ugly
-Accordions are a little more expensive but they are easier to deploy, however they require more maintenance and the hornets love to make nests in the cabinets and they are ugly
-Roll-downs provide lots of protection but are pricey, require the most maintenance, have the most moving parts to break and birds love to nest on top of the cabinets. The motorized versions are even pricier and more maintenance laden and to top it off, they're also ugly.
-The new hi-tech clear flat polycarbonate ones are pricey, but they save energy, reduce sounds, require no deployment or maintenance and are the best looking.
-Fabrics are in the same category as panels except they are more expensive and easier to deploy. You still have to deal with a bunch of hardware including studs and screws

I guess it all depends on your budget, your level of ambition and how much return you want on your investment. I'm on a fixed income and didn't want to get something that was going to cost me money every time I meed to have them put up.

Forget impact windows on the ground floor. They cost waaay too much, are too heavy, will still break and are too expensive to keep replacing. The insulated versions are even more expensive and don't have a good track record in Florida. They tend to loose their seal and get cloudy. Their lifespan is also heavily influenced by the installer. Improper installation will result in premature failures.

If you want to find out more about windows, check out some of the replacement window forums, but don't pay too much attention to the "window people" that post on there. They try to defend the window industry track record with nationwide figures that don't reflect the real statistics here in the south. Fortunately, the Federal Trade Commission has stepped in and spanked them on more than one occasion for unfair claims and practices. Just one old lady's opinion....best of luck on your search and research.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:37 PM

325 posts, read 374,537 times
Thank you Miss. I am leaning toward the clear plastic ones because of the weight and all the light they let in. I am new here and thought I will get prices for a company to install and perhaps just buy the material and do myself, doesn't look that hard.
I have found a lot of companies/people selling on CL just need to research it a lot more before moving forward.
I guess my next stop is PGI govt. and ask what is best rated.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dobiedude View Post
Thank you Miss. I am leaning toward the clear plastic ones because of the weight and all the light they let in. I am new here and thought I will get prices for a company to install and perhaps just buy the material and do myself, doesn't look that hard.
I have found a lot of companies/people selling on CL just need to research it a lot more before moving forward.
I guess my next stop is PGI govt. and ask what is best rated.
Unfortunately, you will be stuck having to put them up and take them down and store them, but they are cost effective for DYI-ers. They also will distort your view to the outdoors but they will allow light to come in.
The ones on my house are the hi-tech versions that are thicker, flat and crystal clear just like glass and pricier than the flimsy, wavy ones. But they work!

Old 06-25-2014, 07:45 PM

1,917 posts, read 1,993,749 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, you will be stuck having to put them up and take them down and store them, but they are cost effective for DYI-ers. They also will distort your view to the outdoors but they will allow light to come in.
The ones on my house are the hi-tech versions that are thicker, flat and crystal clear just like glass and pricier than the flimsy, wavy ones. But they work!
Where did you get the clear flat panels?

Gary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or