U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 08:12 PM

140 posts, read 227,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
Where did you get the clear flat panels?

Gary
I got them 5 years ago from a company in Naples. They are no longer in business, but I saw a very similar product on Craig's List last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 08:14 PM

1,917 posts, read 1,972,073 times
Thanks I saw them online and they looked interesting.

Do you leave them up all year?

Gary

Old 06-25-2014, 08:28 PM

747 posts, read 750,252 times
why not have some of that high tech plastic film put on the windows? there's stuff out there that will easily contain ridiculous amounts of energy/impact.

a house we looked at didn't have hurricane shutters/protection. the windows themselves were fine though, double insulated and quite nice. in lieu of spending tens of thousands for new hurricane-proof windows or many many thousands for covers, we looked into various 3m coatings.

go to the 3m window films website and plug in your applicable zip code, there's quite a few firms listed for installers. i'd pick home-specific companies though, not a car window tinting shop who does houses on the side.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
why not have some of that high tech plastic film put on the windows? there's stuff out there that will easily contain ridiculous amounts of energy/impact.

a house we looked at didn't have hurricane shutters/protection. the windows themselves were fine though, double insulated and quite nice. in lieu of spending tens of thousands for new hurricane-proof windows or many many thousands for covers, we looked into various 3m coatings.

go to the 3m window films website and plug in your applicable zip code, there's quite a few firms listed for installers. i'd pick home-specific companies though, not a car window tinting shop who does houses on the side.
I looked into that and unfortunately none of the films I found were hurricane rated

Gary

Old 06-25-2014, 09:12 PM

747 posts, read 750,252 times
check out the 3m ultra. it's not hurricane-rated officially, but the stuff is unbelievable. supposedly approved in miami-dade, but not florida in general. the most secure setup was a somewhat goofy looking gasket-like seal that goes around frame borders and effectively goes on top of the film, keeping it in place. the next best option was the best film but without that gasket thing.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
Thanks I saw them online and they looked interesting.

Do you leave them up all year?

Gary
Yes Gary, they stay up all year. Being a widow on a fixed income, I needed something that didn't need to be put up and taken down. I also didn't want to have to pay a company to come and do yearly maintenance like cleaning the hornets out of the storage boxesand making sure the tracks or rails were free of mud dauber nests. Even the job of oiling all of the wheels and rollers of accordions was too much work for me. I have bad shoulders from skiing injuries when I was young and living in Co. so the idea of cranking rolldowns wasn't very appealing, either. Now if I go home to Minn. in the summers, I can know that the place is secure and I'm not telling everyone who drives by that I'm not home. From the street, you can't even tell that they are there.

Now I have a quiet home, a clear view and great protection. I feel safer knowing that no one can simply get into my home by breaking or cutting into a window, too. Plus, my electric bill is now lower so it helps to off set the cost. I can feel the difference when I sit near a window, too. It has been money well spent and a win-win for me.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post

Gary is correct. I did a slew of research on the films, too.......if they don't have a Florida Product Approval number, your insurance company won't honor your wind damage claim and you're left holding the bag. I would definitely use it on a detached garage or outbuilding, tho'.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missguided1 View Post
Yes Gary, they stay up all year. Being a widow on a fixed income, I needed something that didn't need to be put up and taken down. I also didn't want to have to pay a company to come and do yearly maintenance like cleaning the hornets out of the storage boxesand making sure the tracks or rails were free of mud dauber nests. Even the job of oiling all of the wheels and rollers of accordions was too much work for me. I have bad shoulders from skiing injuries when I was young and living in Co. so the idea of cranking rolldowns wasn't very appealing, either. Now if I go home to Minn. in the summers, I can know that the place is secure and I'm not telling everyone who drives by that I'm not home. From the street, you can't even tell that they are there.

Now I have a quiet home, a clear view and great protection. I feel safer knowing that no one can simply get into my home by breaking or cutting into a window, too. Plus, my electric bill is now lower so it helps to off set the cost. I can feel the difference when I sit near a window, too. It has been money well spent and a win-win for me.
My main concern would be that with the panels up in the event of a fire you can't get out of the house thru a window.

Gary

Old 06-26-2014, 01:41 PM

9,646 posts, read 6,928,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missguided1 View Post
Did you find the posting, too? They will definitely upgrade your windows to hurricane impact standards. The ones that I saw in C/L had a Florida Product Approval #, too. From what I read in the posting, they also upgrade them in r-value to save on your electric bill. As I said, they are similar to the ones on my house and I wouldn't have anything else.
Are you talking about clear ( or slightly tinted) film that you apply directly on the glass of your windows? I could see where this film would strengthen the windows at least somewhat, I'd have to look at the specs to see just how much. It's been a while since all this was posted, but I thought you mentioned clear corrugated shutters that you fasten over your windows, just like you would any other shutter.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Are you talking about clear ( or slightly tinted) film that you apply directly on the glass of your windows? I could see where this film would strengthen the windows at least somewhat, I'd have to look at the specs to see just how much. It's been a while since all this was posted, but I thought you mentioned clear corrugated shutters that you fasten over your windows, just like you would any other shutter.
Applying the film to the glass will stop it from shattering into little shards but not from breaking out. Also the window frame is not hurricane rated and will just blow in from the wind pressure

Gary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or