U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2014, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Florida
140 posts, read 229,409 times
Reputation: 117

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
My main concern would be that with the panels up in the event of a fire you can't get out of the house thru a window.

Gary
A couple of mine have hinges on the top and locks on the bottom in case of emergency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2014, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Florida
140 posts, read 229,409 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Are you talking about clear ( or slightly tinted) film that you apply directly on the glass of your windows? I could see where this film would strengthen the windows at least somewhat, I'd have to look at the specs to see just how much. It's been a while since all this was posted, but I thought you mentioned clear corrugated shutters that you fasten over your windows, just like you would any other shutter.
I guess I confused some folks. Sorry. I was told by the owner of the company that sold me my shutters that it is illegal to advertise film as being "good" for hurricanes. If you see someone advertising film for storm protection, it is my understanding that they are breaking the law.

The wavy, flimsy plastic panels that you put up and take down are NOT what I have. Someone else posted that he/she was going to install them on their place. Too much work for me and too unsightly. Mine are crystal clear and flat like glass. You can't even tell they are there.

Maybe I should post some pictures of mine.....??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2014, 05:19 PM
 
Location: PGI-finally here!!!!!!!!!!
325 posts, read 374,353 times
Reputation: 127
Yes, Miss pictures would be nice. Do you remember if the ones you have are made out of poly carbon? I think I have seen them, are they made like a wafer. That is to say each side is flat but the area between the sides is like a straight honeycomb. I can't describe them very well, I hope you understand. Did you use these over sliding glass doors?
If it the material I am thinking of they are very expensive now.
thanks
Clint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2014, 05:37 PM
 
1,917 posts, read 1,992,798 times
Reputation: 717
Clint

The clear panels she is talking about are flat and crystal clear.

I believe they are made from Lexan (polycarbonate), think bullet proof glass

Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2014, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Florida
140 posts, read 229,409 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
My main concern would be that with the panels up in the event of a fire you can't get out of the house thru a window.

Gary
Gary,

Here's something else that I found out from a local fire chief. I thought about getting caught inside too. Then I read that since 1995, or thereabouts, there have been something like 7 incidents nationwide of people getting trapped in their shuttered homes and dying during a fire. My question was "Where were their smoke/fire detectors?"

The fire department will supply and properly install smoke detectors in your home FOR FREE so there really is no excuse for anyone getting trapped in this day and age. The fire department will also replace your batteries and test your detector FOR FREE!! So, again I say, there is really no excuse for someone to get caught during a fire and dying an ugly death. I wonder how many of those 7 would be alive today if they had been informed and aware of their smoke detectors?.....and all that they had to do was pick up their phone? Unless you're a VERY HEAVY sleeper or a pass-out drunk, chances are you will get out of a burning building using the door like everyone else.

And just to ad some perspective, more people have died from lightning strikes every one of those years. We have already had 4 lightning deaths just in Florida this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2014, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Florida
140 posts, read 229,409 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dobiedude View Post
Yes, Miss pictures would be nice. Do you remember if the ones you have are made out of poly carbon? I think I have seen them, are they made like a wafer. That is to say each side is flat but the area between the sides is like a straight honeycomb. I can't describe them very well, I hope you understand. Did you use these over sliding glass doors?
If it the material I am thinking of they are very expensive now.
thanks
Clint
I will see about posting some pictures. Yes, I believe they are polycarbonate, but like I said, they are perfectly clear. I have seen the stuff that you are talking about at Home Depot, but that isn't what mine look like at all. And mine weren't cheap by any means, but they were half the cost of impact windows and I won't need to replace them after they get hit like I would if they were impact windows. I watched a guy take a big slegde hammer to a sample and it didn't even crack. And he hit it 5 or 6 times, too!! All it took was a little tap from a regular hammer to break the impact window he had in his truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2014, 06:39 PM
 
Location: PGI-finally here!!!!!!!!!!
325 posts, read 374,353 times
Reputation: 127
Thanks Gary, I know what Lexan is just didn't know they are used for this. I will see what the Co. govt. says about using it.

Back in my drag racing days we used it for windshields, very tough stuff. Also I think it was used for windows in airplanes many years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2014, 08:13 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,753 posts, read 7,033,290 times
Reputation: 14265
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
Applying the film to the glass will stop it from shattering into little shards but not from breaking out. Also the window frame is not hurricane rated and will just blow in from the wind pressure

Gary
That's true. There is a whole lot more to hurricane impact windows than just a film over the window to make it a little more resistant to shattering inwards. The way that hurricane windows are installed, for starters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2014, 08:15 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,753 posts, read 7,033,290 times
Reputation: 14265
Quote:
Originally Posted by missguided1 View Post
I guess I confused some folks. Sorry. I was told by the owner of the company that sold me my shutters that it is illegal to advertise film as being "good" for hurricanes. If you see someone advertising film for storm protection, it is my understanding that they are breaking the law.

The wavy, flimsy plastic panels that you put up and take down are NOT what I have. Someone else posted that he/she was going to install them on their place. Too much work for me and too unsightly. Mine are crystal clear and flat like glass. You can't even tell they are there.

Maybe I should post some pictures of mine.....??
That would be great. I'm not at all familiar with the product you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2014, 05:46 AM
 
Location: Port Charlotte, Florida
165 posts, read 196,760 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by missguided1 View Post
I will see about posting some pictures. Yes, I believe they are polycarbonate, but like I said, they are perfectly clear. I have seen the stuff that you are talking about at Home Depot, but that isn't what mine look like at all. And mine weren't cheap by any means, but they were half the cost of impact windows and I won't need to replace them after they get hit like I would if they were impact windows. I watched a guy take a big slegde hammer to a sample and it didn't even crack. And he hit it 5 or 6 times, too!! All it took was a little tap from a regular hammer to break the impact window he had in his truck.
If there is a NOA document on the product that states its built in compliance with the Florida standards of Large missile impact resistance then that is the definitive answer. The company installing the barriers should have provided that to you and you will need it to get credit towards you wind mitigation inspection and then reduction in your home owners insurance.

Film has no such NOA and neither does the light waffle board type covers or the metal shutters that have a stucco finish. There are quite a few products out there installed after Charlie in 04 at at the time met the then standard or not but today are nothing better than installing plywood. The NOA is the document you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top