Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 12:42 PM

191 posts, read 299,583 times

Advertisements

Looking for advice on swimming pool alarms that will pass the inspection here in Florida.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 01:16 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,003 times
Your local home improvement store will carry them. I haven't reached that point yet but that's where my pool guy directed me. You can also save the receipt, open the package very carefully and decide, post inspection that you might not need them and get a nice return on your investment.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:58 PM

229 posts, read 346,806 times
What kind of alarm are you talking about? Water level? Wee sensor?

Old 06-24-2014, 02:09 PM

165 posts, read 253,980 times
You need to have either a pool fence installed or alarms on ALL doors and windows that enter into the pool area. Contact alarms that are battery powered will work but are a pain in the rear.

Here is copy of FL code:
All doors and windows providing direct access from the home to the pool shall be equipped with an exit alarm complying with UL 2017 that has a minimum sound pressure rating of 85 dB A at 10 feet (3048 mm). The exit alarm shall produce a continuous audible warning when the door and its screen are opened. The alarm shall sound immediately after the door is opened and be capable of being heard throughout the house during normal household activities. The alarm shall be equipped with a manual means to temporarily deactivate the alarm for a single opening. Such deactivation shall last no more than 15 seconds. The deactivation switch shall be located at least 54 inches (1372 mm) above the threshold of the door. Separate alarms are not required for each door or window if sensors wired to a central alarm sound when contact is broken at any opening.

If its for final inspection and you plan on removing them it one thing, however because the taped alarms fail frequently and will go off in the middle of the night and scare the poo out of you I suggest you install a baby barrier fence for a permanent, workable safe solution. Just my 2cents.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:26 PM

413 posts, read 828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCHI View Post
You need to have either a pool fence installed or alarms on ALL doors and windows that enter into the pool area. Contact alarms that are battery powered will work but are a pain in the rear.

Here is copy of FL code:
All doors and windows providing direct access from the home to the pool shall be equipped with an exit alarm complying with UL 2017 that has a minimum sound pressure rating of 85 dB A at 10 feet (3048 mm). The exit alarm shall produce a continuous audible warning when the door and its screen are opened. The alarm shall sound immediately after the door is opened and be capable of being heard throughout the house during normal household activities. The alarm shall be equipped with a manual means to temporarily deactivate the alarm for a single opening. Such deactivation shall last no more than 15 seconds. The deactivation switch shall be located at least 54 inches (1372 mm) above the threshold of the door. Separate alarms are not required for each door or window if sensors wired to a central alarm sound when contact is broken at any opening.

If its for final inspection and you plan on removing them it one thing, however because the taped alarms fail frequently and will go off in the middle of the night and scare the poo out of you I suggest you install a baby barrier fence for a permanent, workable safe solution. Just my 2cents.
Do people comply with this? Does it mean that your door or window that opens to the pool can not be left open, due to the alarm going off after the 15 second delay?

Old 06-24-2014, 03:26 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,137 times
If there are children in your home take every precaution. It doesn't take long for a little one to drown.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:41 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,694,732 times
Pinch a Penny pool store does not stock them in the store. I was advised that the ones that float in the pool and go off if a child falls in are loaded with problems and false alarms. So the homeowner takes them out.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:50 AM

191 posts, read 299,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Your local home improvement store will carry them. I haven't reached that point yet but that's where my pool guy directed me. You can also save the receipt, open the package very carefully and decide, post inspection that you might not need them and get a nice return on your investment.

Do you have any windows that will need alarmed also ? Or just the door(s) ?

Old 06-25-2014, 10:53 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,003 times
I have only sliding glass doors leading to the pool cage.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:36 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,137 times
When we had our pool installed we had to alarm every window and or door that had access to the pool area. Once inspection was over we disconnected them as we have no children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte