Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 06:41 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
Would personally like to see more of a 30's/40's age group dynamic in the PG area (PGI/BSI), if only to have a similar age group to mingle with (we're in our 40's). I disagree completely with the pooh-pooh'ing of the area/community. It's a retirement area predominantly based on services/tourism for that demographic. This should not be news to anyone who does their homework. If the jobs in the area don't support the cost of living, then at least 1 of those 2 situations needs to be addressed in one's life, in whatever way necessary.

Long story short, we absolutely love the PG area and what it offers today and what we see happening down the road (stable growth, more amenities, and a clean, safe city in general). We have met some absolutely terrific people and look forward to our next trips to PG and wherever life takes us (hopefully more often to PG!).
We're retired, so jobs here aren't an issue, and we're of retirement age ( DH and I are in our 60's), and we decided a long time ago to move here when we retired, and we still love the area. But I can sympathize when younger folks wish there were more people of their own age here. I also sympathize when younger folks complain that there isn't enough for people of their age to do, either. And I know jobs around here don't pay all that well, so I can understand folks complaining about that too- especially as prices for everything keep rising and salaries don't.

It seems to me though, that more folks are deciding to move here and call PG/PC home, and perhaps with time, there will be more demand for not only tourism services, but jobs to build and maintain the infrastructure as well. I guess we will see what the future holds in that regard.

All that said though, if I hated an area I found myself living in, I'd find some way to make a change to somewhere, or something I'd like better. That's a lot more productive than just complaining about the circumstances I don't like, and going after anyone who disagrees with the way I feel about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 07:28 PM

747 posts, read 1,011,794 times
The massive generational/population shift in the next 10-15 years (as older generations pass) will be interesting to observe with respect to local PG real estate. In PGI, for example, there are hundreds upon hundreds of homes that aren't ready for prime time regarding codes/insurance (i.e., built in the 60's-70's) and, economically, make no sense to buy and raze/rebuild. Is there enough demand/influx of people our age (40's) and maybe a little older who are willing to make the leap and snap 'em up? I'm talking about buyers who will live there and/or use the property seasonally, not buying to speculate.

Ask 2 people that question, get 2 different answers...which will usually be centered around the glass being half empty or half full. I dunno where that plays out realistically. Wish I did!

We met many folks who have adult children at or near our age, and it turns out those adult children didn't come to PG often. Either no interest, or more often than not the travel cost & logistics (kids, family, work, etc.) made that kind of visit/trip unrealistic. That's somewhat concerning to us in considering investing into the community and lifestyle for the future. In simple terms, if generations of families aren't used to coming every year to PG, and plan on continuing to do so as they get older, how do you cultivate that interest to new generations? The local PG Chamber of Commerce does a heck of a good job in getting the word out there with respect to the town, that's for sure. The message/theme seems to be mixed between a place to retire and a place to enjoy life in general, which is good.

The best answer on the what-if question/scenario came from an older guy we chatted up one afternoon. He said, basically, "Who gives a *&%^$! That'll be my kids' problem to sort out. Meanwhile, I'm here to have fun in my new convertible!"

Old 07-06-2014, 08:50 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,785,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
In simple terms, if generations of families aren't used to coming every year to PG, and plan on continuing to do so as they get older, how do you cultivate that interest to new generations?
I had no family here to visit and when I got tired of waysting my life freezing half the year I left and moved here when I was 44. I suppose im not the last one that will have the same plan

Old 07-07-2014, 07:16 AM

747 posts, read 1,011,794 times
This winter in northeast was breaking point, I'd never considered FL before but man, I am SICK of pushing a snowblower....

Old 07-07-2014, 08:54 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Great posts!!
When I was exploring the area. I came down every month for a week, and checked out the entire area, weather, homes, fishing, biking, boating, tennis, golf, walking, the parks, the restaurants, the age groups, the job market, prices for things, crime, weather, heat, humidity, the age groups and %s, and balanced those things with what I like to do, and how I fit in.

I got good reviews, bad reviews, warnings, people that hated it, didn't like the heat, the night life, all the elderly people, the job market (and how little it afforded them to do the things they enjoy) - the fact that without notice they could be fired without cause, and it was just their tough luck. The fact that everything closes earlier than most places. I appreciated the balance of reviews I got - it made my expectations realistic.

I personally would not be happy if I didn't have that balance of the area - h.d. and Gigano are the counterbalance of me, and that is a good thing. Even though I am probably the biggest proponent of the area, I do try to tell those that need a good job, that there are better places to make money and have a night life. Those areas have their pluses and minuses too. I came from Baltimore, good jobs, good nightlife, fishing is good, there's plenty of young people - but there are certainly plenty of downsides there (don't forget that either when dismissing this area), there is a LOT of crime, its cold, and in July and August it is hotter and more humid there than it is here. Tighter congestion, bad traffic, aloofness abounds, people are not (generally) over joyous there either, and the grass isn't greener everywhere else.

(For Me), I love the area, I love the weather (even the heat - not all do), I love the outside activities here (fishing, biking, motorcycling, boating, swimming, tennis, pickle ball, the parks, kayaking, the quaint small town, the slower pace, the music in almost all the restaurants, the flowers and plants blooming all the time, the greenness of the area, and much much more). I like the architecture (spanish tile roofs, stucco houses, lanai's,) set near the warm waters here (I'm on a canal, but its not far to great beaches - from most locations).

Work and jobs are tough, but the market here IS definitely improving from 4-5 years ago. The job market is not great throughout the country, unless you like Fracking in South Dakota. Its frustrating for many out there. If you have to work, wherever you are its tough and hard to make it right now. I have too kids, one has a masters in Sports management on the business side of the degree, and is barely making it. My other is almost finished and is worried about a decent career. They don't live here, and complain constantly about the lack of opportunities out there. Both of these guys are painting a fair picture of the market here, and without pointing it out, its bad in most other places as well.

I am not near as old as many of you here, I was very lucky in the success I've had. The market crushed my career, but I made it early. I was lucky. I wasn't from here, I wanted to keep working, the economy and the banks and the financial institutions and the government ruined the business economy I thrived in.

There are many great places in this country! I've lived and travelled all over it (North, East, South, and West). For me there are many great things about this place, others too. And, there are many bad things about other areas, some very bad. Don't think the good things only exist here, or the bad things either. There are struggles everywhere, and opportunities. Don't get locked in - experience them. No matter what you think, you can relocate, and take advantage of the experiences and opportunities this country has to offer. Nothing is free - you have to give something to get something. Coming here there are trade-offs (don't think we that have come here don't understand that), and going there there are trade offs as well.

I LOVE the USA, I LOVE my family, I love my life, and I love the happiness - that I will ALWAYS pursue! ;-)

Old 07-07-2014, 10:01 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Great posts!!
When I was exploring the area. I came down every month for a week, and checked out the entire area, weather, homes, fishing, biking, boating, tennis, golf, walking, the parks, the restaurants, the age groups, the job market, prices for things, crime, weather, heat, humidity, the age groups and %s, and balanced those things with what I like to do, and how I fit in.

I got good reviews, bad reviews, warnings, people that hated it, didn't like the heat, the night life, all the elderly people, the job market (and how little it afforded them to do the things they enjoy) - the fact that without notice they could be fired without cause, and it was just their tough luck. The fact that everything closes earlier than most places. I appreciated the balance of reviews I got - it made my expectations realistic.

I personally would not be happy if I didn't have that balance of the area - h.d. and Gigano are the counterbalance of me, and that is a good thing. Even though I am probably the biggest proponent of the area, I do try to tell those that need a good job, that there are better places to make money and have a night life. Those areas have their pluses and minuses too. I came from Baltimore, good jobs, good nightlife, fishing is good, there's plenty of young people - but there are certainly plenty of downsides there (don't forget that either when dismissing this area), there is a LOT of crime, its cold, and in July and August it is hotter and more humid there than it is here. Tighter congestion, bad traffic, aloofness abounds, people are not (generally) over joyous there either, and the grass isn't greener everywhere else.

(For Me), I love the area, I love the weather (even the heat - not all do), I love the outside activities here (fishing, biking, motorcycling, boating, swimming, tennis, pickle ball, the parks, kayaking, the quaint small town, the slower pace, the music in almost all the restaurants, the flowers and plants blooming all the time, the greenness of the area, and much much more). I like the architecture (spanish tile roofs, stucco houses, lanai's,) set near the warm waters here (I'm on a canal, but its not far to great beaches - from most locations).

Work and jobs are tough, but the market here IS definitely improving from 4-5 years ago. The job market is not great throughout the country, unless you like Fracking in South Dakota. Its frustrating for many out there. If you have to work, wherever you are its tough and hard to make it right now. I have too kids, one has a masters in Sports management on the business side of the degree, and is barely making it. My other is almost finished and is worried about a decent career. They don't live here, and complain constantly about the lack of opportunities out there. Both of these guys are painting a fair picture of the market here, and without pointing it out, its bad in most other places as well.

I am not near as old as many of you here, I was very lucky in the success I've had. The market crushed my career, but I made it early. I was lucky. I wasn't from here, I wanted to keep working, the economy and the banks and the financial institutions and the government ruined the business economy I thrived in.

There are many great places in this country! I've lived and travelled all over it (North, East, South, and West). For me there are many great things about this place, others too. And, there are many bad things about other areas, some very bad. Don't think the good things only exist here, or the bad things either. There are struggles everywhere, and opportunities. Don't get locked in - experience them. No matter what you think, you can relocate, and take advantage of the experiences and opportunities this country has to offer. Nothing is free - you have to give something to get something. Coming here there are trade-offs (don't think we that have come here don't understand that), and going there there are trade offs as well.

I LOVE the USA, I LOVE my family, I love my life, and I love the happiness - that I will ALWAYS pursue! ;-)
JUst thought all you said needed to be repeated.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:49 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
Big House for president. I'll start making the lawn signs, anyone need a sign?

Old 07-07-2014, 08:33 PM

23 posts, read 46,944 times
I to am from MD and now have a lot in PGI. I can't wait to leave MD. I am over taxed and it seems things only will get worse. The weather in PG is only part of the attraction to the area. I found most folks to be very friendly and will go out of their way to talk to you. I found the nightlife to be great in PG. The job situation is something I am exploring now.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:19 AM

55 posts, read 66,948 times
Loved your post Big House.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:49 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,289 times
Big House I don't think it could have been put any better. Nothing more needs to be added to this thread

########### THREAD CLOSED##########

If I only had the power!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte