U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 02:48 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,795,236 times

Advertisements

To be quite honest about the search tool, it isn't that great IMO. Plenty of people will answer your questions I'm sure so ask away, that is what this forum is for.

Now back to my snow was deeper than your snow....:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 03:19 PM

33 posts, read 44,103 times
Lol Ty Home, wow that's a lot, and to think I called off work that day cause I couldn't even open our door. The lockbox was frozen lol

Old 05-29-2014, 05:17 PM

1,917 posts, read 1,994,199 times
As HH pointed out the same questions are are often asked by new posters however the answers are often not the same.

Personally I learn something new from every new thread on this forum and would encourage you to ask away.

Gary

Old 05-29-2014, 05:58 PM

33 posts, read 44,103 times
Ty Gary, it's kinda difficult to use a 'search bar' when you don't know what to 'search' for lol
I don't know names of suburbs, what are good areas and what aren't, if we went scouting on our own, we'd never move as there's so many different areas. I just don't know a lot

Old 05-30-2014, 12:24 PM

52 posts, read 66,213 times
Check out Seven Palms Apartments in Punta Gorda. I'm on the pandhandle right now but researching the area to move down when my lease is up in September. I personally don't know anything about it but the rent is in the 600's for a decent size 2 bdrm. I do know there are income limits on how much you can make so I'm not sure what kind of complex it is but it's worth checking out if you're coming for a visit.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:41 PM

14 posts, read 13,774 times
I'll introduce myself first, so you know where I'm coming from. I'm 29 years old and I live with my fiance and our pets. We're from western Pennsylvania and don't have an exciting night life. We appreciate a nice restaurant on pay-day, we aren't wealthy by any means, and we love the beach. We enjoy doing fun things like going to the farmers market and hitting up little shops on the weekends. Not exciting, no, but it provides a little background.

If you're considering Punta Gorda, it's a nice community. I must warn you, though.

We relocated last year because I got a job in Punta Gorda. There aren't any places to rent in Punta Gorda, so we moved to Port Charlotte, which is right across the beautiful bridge. $700/month will get you a dumpy house in a less than ideal area. We pay $800/month (a steal for our house--3 beds and two baths with a great yard) and $800 is where most houses start. From there, it goes up.

Punta Gorda is very different from Port Charlotte. There isn't much in Punta Gorda. There's a very small historic district. If you like the 80s and like slightly run-down buildings, this area is perfect for you. If you like charming, historical buildings, this area is not for you, unless one street is enough.

Port Charlotte is a big city. The population doubles in October when the snow birds arrive. It's not a paradise--it's a big city with a lot of homeless people, areas where you don't want to go at night, and tons of traffic. Also, it's hot. I know, I know...it's Florida. It's in the high 80s from March through November. Don't believe these "climate averages" you see online. You will stand at your house getting your keys out and start sweating profusely in April. It's very very humid, too, and it doesn't cool down at night. It's still very hot and humid.

There's a lot of crime here. Breaking and entering, assault, theft. Our neighbor's car was stolen from her driveway--one of many car thefts that have happened in the last few months--but when we talked to the police (new to the area) they said this kind of thing never happens. We were lied to. There are a lot of sex offenders-violent ones. If you're thinking about the Golden Girls and their way of life, this couldn't be further from it. When we pulled in with our U-Haul, there were three cop cars on our street with a few guys hand-cuffed to the ground. And we live in one of the "nicer" streets. There was also a shooting about 250 feet from our house.

Schools aren't good. Some are rated "A" schools, but they are terrible compared to those in the north. I'm not sure what they are comparing them to.

As far as amenities go...if you love McDonalds and chain restaurants, you're in luck. They're everywhere. If you want local, you'll pay $50 for a meal for two. Oh, and don't bother going out for dinner during snow-bird season if you don't want to wait for a table for an hour.

Also consider the cost for registering your car--a $500 fee for each vehicle. Make sure you include that in your moving fund.

Some people love it here, but those people only live here for a few months out of the year. Those who live here full-time, well, let's just say I haven't seen the paradise they're cheering about. I realize that I may sound paranoid and understimulated, but I thought I'd give you a fair warning.

Sarasota is a nice area, and Venice is nice. If I had to do it all over again, I would never move to Florida.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:04 PM

Thank you for listing most of the reasons why I live at the southern end of the bridge in PG.

Punta Gorda has the second lowest crime rate of any city it's size in the state.

The downtown area has many fine restaurants and bars with live music every night.

There is no fast food in Punta Gorda.

Punta Gorda has a lot of very well maintained parks and recreational facilities.

There are miles of bike paths and free bicycles.

On almost every weekend of the year there seems to be some festival or event going on.

Punta Gorda is clean and very strict when it comes to enforcing the city code.

To say Punta Gorda is rundown is a lie, it is extremely well maintained.

And all of the above is why there is nothing available for $700 rent in PG

After reading your post I doubt you have ever been in Punta Gorda

Gary

Old 06-25-2014, 05:37 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,359,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.d.mitchell View Post

Some people love it here, but those people only live here for a few months out of the year. Those who live here full-time, well, let's just say I haven't seen the paradise they're cheering about. I realize that I may sound paranoid and understimulated, but I thought I'd give you a fair warning.

Sarasota is a nice area, and Venice is nice. If I had to do it all over again, I would never move to Florida.
Sounds like you might not have done enough research before you moved; I'm sorry about that - Florida isn't for everybody. If you look back through old threads here, you'll find questions from twenty-somethings looking to move, and answers that cover all the subjects you mention...except the "slightly rundown Punta Gorda" part - that sounds a little like sour grapes. Buffalo is slightly rundown; Punta Gorda is pretty nice.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:08 PM

9,760 posts, read 7,041,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
Thank you for listing most of the reasons why I live at the southern end of the bridge in PG.

Punta Gorda has the second lowest crime rate of any city it's size in the state.

The downtown area has many fine restaurants and bars with live music every night.

There is no fast food in Punta Gorda.

Punta Gorda has a lot of very well maintained parks and recreational facilities.

There are miles of bike paths and free bicycles.

On almost every weekend of the year there seems to be some festival or event going on.

Punta Gorda is clean and very strict when it comes to enforcing the city code.

To say Punta Gorda is rundown is a lie, it is extremely well maintained.

And all of the above is why there is nothing available for $700 rent in PG

After reading your post I doubt you have ever been in Punta Gorda

Gary
Yeah, when I read the OP's post, I wondered what Punta Gorda he was talking about......

Old 06-25-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Yeah, when I read the OP's post, I wondered what Punta Gorda he was talking about......
I'm pretty sure th OP is just not happy in Florida.

The funny thing is that as far as nightlife and assorted activities go Punta Gorda has a lot to offer to the younger crowd

Gary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or