U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 06:40 PM

325 posts, read 374,762 times

Advertisements

Dude needs to check out Dean's outside bar. Every time I drive past there at night that place seems to be rocking, just not sure of the age group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 06:51 PM

7,486 posts, read 19,940,705 times
Dean's has pretty much all age groups and all different kinds of bands. I like The Zombie's and Gas House Gorillas that play there. Dean's and Harry's are probably the most rockin places in town and Dean's can get pretty rockin'/wild. They have sexy bunny night around Easter, Leather & Lace contest, Sexy St Pattys Day Bash, Etc. I'd say the age group mainly is probably 30s-50s.

Seems like HD Mitchell might do well in Ft Lauderdale, South Beach or Miami where the crowd is probably in the early 20's.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:10 PM

1,917 posts, read 1,994,740 times
As I often do when a new poster shows up I look at their other posts to get a sense of the person that is posting.

In one post HD Mitchell states that they hate it here in Florida and in another they are looking to move to Vermont.

I'm not sure what they are looking for or why they weren't happy in western PA

I think you can be happy most anywhere but if you have decided to only look at the negatives you will never find the greener grass

Gary

Old 06-25-2014, 07:15 PM

1,692 posts, read 2,084,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.d.mitchell View Post
Those who live here full-time, well, let's just say I haven't seen the paradise they're cheering about....

it all over again, I would never move to Florida.
I live here full time for 10 years now back in new Hampshire this time of year the lake just got going then come the 4th of july it was all down hill. ii was out on my boat many years watching fireworks with a jacket on here not a problem then come September you saw that first orange leave
then take the boat out of the water or be the only guy on the lake

ill take here.

Last edited by MikeM8560; 06-25-2014 at 07:27 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.d.mitchell View Post

Some people love it here, but those people only live here for a few months out of the year. Those who live here full-time, well, let's just say I haven't seen the paradise they're cheering about. I realize that I may sound paranoid and understimulated, but I thought I'd give you a fair warning.
I found this part interesting since I'm a native Floridian and my family has lived here for generations. I'm quite happy here.

I've vivisted a few places with snow and I can say I'm not too fond of it. Hmmmmm...Could I be missing something somewhere else? He/She still didn't tell me where I should move that is better than FL.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:33 PM

1,692 posts, read 2,084,636 times
I grew up In Socal Soflgal the weather was nice though cool in winter as northern Florida. but who can afoord the real estate there now

Old 06-25-2014, 07:42 PM

3,927 posts, read 4,783,698 times
As to PC vs PG, we chose PC, but we were careful as to where we bought, did our homework. I must admit that the reason we bought was that rentals were so high. Could buy much cheaper than renting.

Yes, there are high crime areas but these are pockets, and you have them in virtually every city. Our neighbors have lived in their home for 30 years, as have many of those on the street. Very stable area.

Use the MLS data and do a search. But looking for the job should be your priority. Don't get tied into a lease in PG and then find that your job is in Tampa.

Good luck and welcome to the 'moving to Florida' club.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM8560 View Post
I grew up In Socal Soflgal the weather was nice though cool in winter as northern Florida. but who can afoord the real estate there now
Yeah true. I get a lot of clients from Cali here. The real estate prices are just too high and no one can afford to live there. I went to LA a year or so ago but we didn't see a lot. My daughter was on The Ellen Show, we went to Venice Beach, went to Beverly Hills, hung out downtown a little and drove up and down the coast a bit. I really wanted to see some seals but I guess we didn't drive north enough. I even stopped at a place called seal beach but there were no seals to be found. It was really pretty out there.

Florida has the weather, the great beaches and reasonable housing prices. I don't know, I guess I'm pretty used to things around here. I've traveled a lot and can't say I've found any place I like better. Costa Rica is pretty nice but I'm not sure I'd want to live there. I hate cold weather so that doesn't leave me with too many choices.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:19 PM
CTC

665 posts, read 1,205,068 times
[quote=h.d.mitchell;35390956

If you're considering Punta Gorda, it's a nice community. I must warn you, though.

Punta Gorda is very different from Port Charlotte. There isn't much in Punta Gorda. There's a very small historic district. If you like the 80s and like slightly run-down buildings, this area is perfect for you. If you like charming, historical buildings, this area is not for you, unless one street is enough.
[/QUOTE]

Ha ha only one street of historical buildings?? There are block after block of historical buildings. You cannot have ever lived there or even visited for that matter.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:53 PM

14 posts, read 13,783 times
I apologize for being a little too blunt. I have apparently offended some users and that was absolutely not my intention.
With that said, I have read through other posts and to answer your comments...
I work in Punta Gorda, so YES, I have been there. Five days a week, I may add.
I moved here for work. I was hired two weeks before my start date in a highly competitive field. That two weeks was spent getting down here, looking for a house, and moving. What research I DID do was on Punta Gorda, which is a very different place from its close neighbor Port Charlotte. I did NOT know that the two cities were very dependent on each other. I should have been more clear about PG--it is not run down, PC is. PG is beautiful. Unfortunately you cannot live in PG without going to PC for everything.
I do not have a night life by choice, so recommending bars is not what I wanted.
The reason I posted this is because we moved here after reading great things about the state and the area, and almost no negative things. Since we've moved here, we only read bad things about the entire state. I just wish I had talked to somebody with a less than ideal experience before we came here. I hope this helps somebody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or