U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 08:33 AM

9,670 posts, read 6,964,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
That's not true while there are many people down here in their 80's I believe most of the posters here are much younger.

Gary
It'll be quite a few years till I get to my 80th birthday...... I'm 66. And still working ( granted, at contract work where I get to set the hours and times, and all, and at home, but I think that counts since I pay taxes, SS and Medicare out of that).. and volunteer work, chief housefrau, and all that. In my spare time I get to check out the boat and the dock!

I don't think the OP's had a clue who they were talking to as I'd bet most of the other posters here are equally engaged- if the content of their posts are any indication.

Happy Independence Day, y'all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 02:18 PM

494 posts, read 876,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnfitz View Post
Just remember: you all are 80 in January. Puts you way ahead of most of the country.
Yes (if I'm understanding you right, that you're talking about winter temps), that's one of the most amazing things you notice here if you're from someplace else originally.

A few years before I moved here, I visited friends in December/January who lived here. I was afraid my flight here might be canceled because a major snowstorm was expected. Fortunately, the flight wasn't canceled, and even though my front door was frozen shut and had a snow drift up against it, I managed to force it open and get out to get to the airport and catch my flight to Florida.

A few hours later I was sitting on a condo lanai watching the moonlight reflect on the water. Next day riding a bike alongside palm trees. It was like a dream. Now, it's my life. (Well, except now I drive a bit when I want to see the water, but that's ok.)

There are pros and cons to any place. Even though I'm grateful for my own life in Southwest Florida, I appreciate all the Florida posters who take the time to post their experiences. Even in cases where their experiences are different, I appreciate getting their point of view. I feel lucky to live here, but I understand it's because "here" works (at least so far) better than anywhere else I could be for my own particular needs and situation. (And I also know that certain aspects of my life would be better if I lived elsewhere. For most of us, where we live involves some trade-offs.)

Last edited by City__Datarer; 07-04-2014 at 02:33 PM..

Old 07-04-2014, 02:48 PM

20 posts, read 16,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
No, but you were referencing the poster whose name you mention in your previous post, partially in response to what he said, and apparently taking to task other posters who responded to what he said a few days ago. My post was in response to that. Apparently it went over your head.

That's fine, to each his own..... sounds like you need to join your buddy in growing up some....
Sounds like you need to take your own advice.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:47 AM

60 posts, read 64,617 times
Yes, Winter Temps indeed! I'm still in my 50's and plan on enjoying the 80's this January there!

Old 07-05-2014, 09:16 AM

704 posts, read 570,164 times
Gigano, as an outsider looking in I would like to add my perspective on this issue. I currently live in the DFW area, I'm also a native to this area and we have a ton of people who have moved here for jobs and reasonably priced real estate. I find it very interesting that a lot of the transplants have no problem complaining about our brutal summers, insane winters, traffic and the list goes on, but never once have I heard them complain about having a good job, a nice house and pretty much all around better lifestyle. My opinion on this is that you need to be happy for what you have. No one place is perfect. If you really don't like it here, please do us all a favor and move somewhere else. I'm not saying this to be rude I'm just practical when it comes to life and decisions.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:32 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,744,170 times
Old Gal, I agree. The primary whining I heard in my 65 years of being a Texan was that it was too 'Texas', too independent, too individualistic, and not like NY, Boston, etc. But they were down in Texas to start over, to get a new job, better housing, schools that weren't a disaster. We always reminded them that the road went both ways.

Now I am down in PC, enjoyed the beach on Thursday, watched fireworks across the bay with a lot of friendly folks, and tonight going on a sunset cruise.

Yes, we are going to go back to work, but right now, enjoying a staycation.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:32 PM

437 posts, read 518,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.d.mitchell View Post
I apologize for being a little too blunt. I have apparently offended some users and that was absolutely not my intention.
With that said, I have read through other posts and to answer your comments...
I work in Punta Gorda, so YES, I have been there. Five days a week, I may add.
I moved here for work. I was hired two weeks before my start date in a highly competitive field. That two weeks was spent getting down here, looking for a house, and moving. What research I DID do was on Punta Gorda, which is a very different place from its close neighbor Port Charlotte. I did NOT know that the two cities were very dependent on each other. I should have been more clear about PG--it is not run down, PC is. PG is beautiful. Unfortunately you cannot live in PG without going to PC for everything.
I do not have a night life by choice, so recommending bars is not what I wanted.
The reason I posted this is because we moved here after reading great things about the state and the area, and almost no negative things. Since we've moved here, we only read bad things about the entire state. I just wish I had talked to somebody with a less than ideal experience before we came here. I hope this helps somebody.
Don't apologize for expressing your opinion. And don't take anything people say on this forum too seriously. This site has many cyber bullies who love to trivialize the personal experiences of others with over-zealous defense of Florida and its many culturally bereft towns. When these people can't get you to acquiesce to their myopic views they always say that if you don't like it here then you should move. Whatever! If the place SUCKS, you should by all means say so. You will be doing some other unsuspecting soul a big favor.

I'm sorry that you're not happy where you are. It is a very big deal to uproot one's life and move a long distance to start over---only to be disappointed with the surroundings. Many people move to Florida from other states, believing it to be something other than what it is. Plenty of them leave for better opportunities as soon as they are able to. Perhaps you will one day too.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:22 AM

10,766 posts, read 15,033,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.d.mitchell View Post
I apologize for being a little too blunt. I have apparently offended some users and that was absolutely not my intention.
With that said, I have read through other posts and to answer your comments...
I work in Punta Gorda, so YES, I have been there. Five days a week, I may add.
I moved here for work. I was hired two weeks before my start date in a highly competitive field. That two weeks was spent getting down here, looking for a house, and moving. What research I DID do was on Punta Gorda, which is a very different place from its close neighbor Port Charlotte. I did NOT know that the two cities were very dependent on each other. I should have been more clear about PG--it is not run down, PC is. PG is beautiful. Unfortunately you cannot live in PG without going to PC for everything.
I do not have a night life by choice, so recommending bars is not what I wanted.
The reason I posted this is because we moved here after reading great things about the state and the area, and almost no negative things. Since we've moved here, we only read bad things about the entire state. I just wish I had talked to somebody with a less than ideal experience before we came here. I hope this helps somebody.

Agree with you H.D. When I first visited "Punta Gorda", I was shown all the areas in the Punta Gorda zip code. Aah, haah ! It's a different world when you come over the Peace River Bridge into Port Charlotte which people love to say they live in Punta Gorda only because that is the zip code. You're in Charlotte County, and in unincorporated Punta Gorda. Totally different price range of homes and demographics.

If I had it to do over again and wanted to be on the Gulf, I'd zero in on the Venice, Manasota Key areas; even Clearwater, Dunedin etc. on the west coast of FL. On the Atlantic coast, I'd be up north towards Stuart, Jensen Beach, or further up near Fernandina Beach. No more south FL for me, east or west and never in the middle of FL. Exactly as you said earlier, too much crime, too many "iffy" areas, too much traffic congestion, OMG the oppressive summers, nothing to write home about.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:23 PM

20 posts, read 16,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gal View Post
Gigano, as an outsider looking in I would like to add my perspective on this issue. I currently live in the DFW area, I'm also a native to this area and we have a ton of people who have moved here for jobs and reasonably priced real estate. I find it very interesting that a lot of the transplants have no problem complaining about our brutal summers, insane winters, traffic and the list goes on, but never once have I heard them complain about having a good job, a nice house and pretty much all around better lifestyle. My opinion on this is that you need to be happy for what you have. No one place is perfect. If you really don't like it here, please do us all a favor and move somewhere else. I'm not saying this to be rude I'm just practical when it comes to life and decisions.
You were respectful, so I'm going to pass-over you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
Don't apologize for expressing your opinion. And don't take anything people say on this forum too seriously. This site has many cyber bullies who love to trivialize the personal experiences of others with over-zealous defense of Florida and its many culturally bereft towns. When these people can't get you to acquiesce to their myopic views they always say that if you don't like it here then you should move. Whatever! If the place SUCKS, you should by all means say so. You will be doing some other unsuspecting soul a big favor.

I'm sorry that you're not happy where you are. It is a very big deal to uproot one's life and move a long distance to start over---only to be disappointed with the surroundings. Many people move to Florida from other states, believing it to be something other than what it is. Plenty of them leave for better opportunities as soon as they are able to. Perhaps you will one day too.
Agreed 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Agree with you H.D. When I first visited "Punta Gorda", I was shown all the areas in the Punta Gorda zip code. Aah, haah ! It's a different world when you come over the Peace River Bridge into Port Charlotte which people love to say they live in Punta Gorda only because that is the zip code. You're in Charlotte County, and in unincorporated Punta Gorda. Totally different price range of homes and demographics.

If I had it to do over again and wanted to be on the Gulf, I'd zero in on the Venice, Manasota Key areas; even Clearwater, Dunedin etc. on the west coast of FL. On the Atlantic coast, I'd be up north towards Stuart, Jensen Beach, or further up near Fernandina Beach. No more south FL for me, east or west and never in the middle of FL. Exactly as you said earlier, too much crime, too many "iffy" areas, too much traffic congestion, OMG the oppressive summers, nothing to write home about.
Also agreed 100%. More thinking people coming out of the woodwork. This thread might turn around for the better!

Old 07-06-2014, 06:18 PM

747 posts, read 753,903 times
Would personally like to see more of a 30's/40's age group dynamic in the PG area (PGI/BSI), if only to have a similar age group to mingle with (we're in our 40's). I disagree completely with the pooh-pooh'ing of the area/community. It's a retirement area predominantly based on services/tourism for that demographic. This should not be news to anyone who does their homework. If the jobs in the area don't support the cost of living, then at least 1 of those 2 situations needs to be addressed in one's life, in whatever way necessary.

Long story short, we absolutely love the PG area and what it offers today and what we see happening down the road (stable growth, more amenities, and a clean, safe city in general). We have met some absolutely terrific people and look forward to our next trips to PG and wherever life takes us (hopefully more often to PG!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or