U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 11:42 PM

33 posts, read 44,103 times

Advertisements

me and my husband are comparing cities in Fl to see what crime is like, and affordability as well as jobs. I was actually quite impressed with all I've read so far about punta gorda!
Were in our 20's and currently live in ft wayne, indiana, don't know if you heard but this winter we got 14 inches of snow (in our parking lot) and it got -16. I'm over it. Enough is enough lol. My inlaws, pretty much his whole family is packing up and moving all along the gulf side in a couple weeks. At first we were looking at ft lauderdale (I fell in love with it) but it's just too pricey and we dnt need anything huge. We have no kids yet, and pretty much living room and bedroom furniture to move. My husband is a diesel mechanic for our county highway dept, and I just dnt know what there is job wise within the area or even within 15-20 min? And also, how do you all like the area? I'm assuming since you live there that you do lol that was probably a dumb question..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 05:58 AM

7,486 posts, read 19,938,728 times
I've heard last winter was pretty brutal and we've seen many new residents as a result.

Punta Gorda is a quaint little town. Nearly every weekend there's something going on in Punta Gorda. Last weekend was the Hibiscus Fest and a few weekends before that was the Block Party and then the Air Show, Seafood Festival and River Art Show. On Thursday nights they have a jam sessions in Gilchrist Park.

There are many places to go hang out: Harpoon Harry's (they usually have bands on the weekends). I love Dean's South of the Boarder and some of my favorite bands play there. River City Grill is always good.

Now, for areas that you should check out: Punta Gorda Isles is probably one of the best places if you want to be within biking/walking distance to downtown and have good access to the harbor. All of the seawalls in Punta Gorda Isles are maintained by the city of Punta Gorda, which isn't the case in nearby neighboring Port Charlotte. Punta Gorda Isles is a terrific neighborhood where most homes are on saltwater canals, and many locations provide relatively speedy access to the open water of Charlotte Harbor and the Peace River. Sailors like PGI because the waters are consistently deep and will provide 4+ ft of draft even on the winter low tides.

Then there's the Burnt Store area: Burnt Store Marina, Burnt Store Lakes, Burnt Store Meadows, Burnt Store Colony, Burnt Store Village, Burnt Store Isles. Burnt Store Marina is the only gated community out of them all. It also has the largest deep water marina in the SW gulf coast with 525 wet slips. Sailboat Magazine ranked this area one of the top ten places to sail. It also has a 27 hole golf course and restaurant. Burnt Store Isles also has many waterfront canal homes, but because of shoaling on Alligator creek, it isn't as attractive for deep draft boats. Both PGI and BSI have golf courses

Punta Gorda also has a really quaint historical section the runs along Gilchrist Park and the harbor. My sister-in-law lives in there and says she will never leave.

Pirate Harbor is also worth checking out but not as close to the downtown area.

Here are several recent job listings for a diesel mechanic in nearby Ft Myers:
Heavy Equipment Field Mechanic :: Jobs :: Mechanics Hub

Mechanic Job Diesel Truck Equipment Mechanic Wanted in FL?utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=organic&utm_campai gn=Indeed - FindaMechanic.com

https://gopenske.taleo.net/careersec...5&src=JB-10126

Careers

Heavy Equipment Field Mechanic Jobs in Fort Myers, Florida - Maizis and Miller

Technicians/Mechanics Jobs in Fort Myers, FL - Kelly Tractor

Old 05-29-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikwissman View Post
Hooper, I'm more interested in hearing about the area than Iam jobs, I just thought I'd throw that one in there too while I was writing, guess I'm not ok to add more than one question, sorry.
SoFLgal, Ty so very much for your info! I had no idea about the other places you mentioned, I'm pretty much at the mercy of the internet until November.
You might want to use this site to search: www.myfloridahomemls.com It's the main MLS website and the most up to date.

Also, if you could give us a rental range or price range you are looking at that would help us to narrow down some areas as well as any other info--pool or not, size home, on water or not, how far from beaches, any other requirements...

Old 05-29-2014, 10:02 AM

Ok, my price range is kind of absurd, but keep in mind, were just starting out, and dnt want to bury ourselves as soon as we get there! Want a nice way to look around different areas, maybe move around a bunch etc. trying to keep it at, or under $700/mo. Doesn't need to have a pool, hubby won't even bother using it, he's weird. Would like it to be within 15-20 min of water, but doesn't need to be, and nothing big. The place we have right now is just barely over 600sf, we don't really need anything bigger...and we dnt yet have kids, so a 1 bdr would be just fine. A garage or storage would be preferred as hubby has all his wood working tools, and there's a lot of them

Old 05-29-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Ok, my price range is kind of absurd, but keep in mind, were just starting out, and dnt want to bury ourselves as soon as we get there! Want a nice way to look around different areas, maybe move around a bunch etc. trying to keep it at, or under $700/mo. Doesn't need to have a pool, hubby won't even bother using it, he's weird. Would like it to be within 15-20 min of water, but doesn't need to be, and nothing big. The place we have right now is just barely over 600sf, we don't really need anything bigger...and we dnt yet have kids, so a 1 bdr would be just fine. A garage or storage would be preferred as hubby has all his wood working tools, and there's a lot of them
It's good you are being responsible but your range might be a little difficult to accomplish. You might want to look in Port Charlotte around the hospitals. It's possible you might get lucky and find some kind of efficiency in the PG area.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:30 AM

3,373 posts, read 3,786,132 times
Quote:
me and my husband are comparing cities in Fl to see what crime is like, and affordability as well as jobs. I was actually quite impressed with all I've read so far about punta gorda!
Were in our 20's and currently live in ft wayne, indiana, don't know if you heard but this winter we got 14 inches of snow (in our parking lot) and it got -16. I'm over it. Enough is enough lol. My inlaws, pretty much his whole family is packing up and moving all along the gulf side in a couple weeks. At first we were looking at ft lauderdale (I fell in love with it) but it's just too pricey and we dnt need anything huge. We have no kids yet, and pretty much living room and bedroom furniture to move. My husband is a diesel mechanic for our county highway dept, and I just dnt know what there is job wise within the area or even within 15-20 min? And also, how do you all like the area? I'm assuming since you live there that you do lol that was probably a dumb question..
FOURTEEN INCHES OF SNOW??? Oh my...No wonder you want to move south!!
We had 59 inches. As in almost 6 FEET.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
FOURTEEN INCHES OF SNOW??? Oh my...No wonder you want to move south!!
What state do u live in? That's a lot

Old 05-29-2014, 01:50 PM

3,119 posts, read 4,566,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Still nothing! Our home town (Grand Rapids, MI) had 116 inches this winter. Thank god we weren't there to "enjoy" it with everyone!

Old 05-29-2014, 01:54 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,492,761 times
Since you're so young, I would suggest looking at sarasota or fort myers/cape coral. However, with your budget it is going to be tough to find much of anything remotely decent. You will have to scour the net daily to find something in your price range, even if it is tiny. An apartment may be a better option. It's a tough rental market here; not many vacancies which translates to higher rents.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
Since you're so young, I would suggest looking at sarasota or fort myers/cape coral. However, with your budget it is going to be tough to find much of anything remotely decent. You will have to scour the net daily to find something in your price range, even if it is tiny. An apartment may be a better option. It's a tough rental market here; not many vacancies which translates to higher rents.
I see that,wow, I'm still looking around, Ty for your suggestions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or