U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 06:21 AM

163 posts, read 187,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbl39 View Post
Are there any other options out there if you don't want to use satellite? The big guys won't come play in my yard. Comcast and Verizon are not available here. When I moved here 2 years ago I actually had Comcast come out to see if they would run lines to my house. They have service nearby, but because I am the only house on my street, it was a no go.(Not that I like Comcast that much anyway). My only option for service was to go with Century Link and get satellite internet and bundle it with Direct TV. And yes indeedy it goes out everyday during the summer when the storm rolls in and there is thunder and lightning. Then it may come back during the storm, but out again it goes when the storm starts to move on.

I am looking to see if there is any other suggestions for internet service. I don't really care about the TV so much. I have an online job and these daily afternoon disruptions are not good. Also if I got reliable internet I would ditch Direct TV and get a roku or amazon fire. BTW I am off El Jobean near the Charlotte Sports Park if that helps. Since my yearly contract expired and that made my rates double, before I sign up for another year, I want to see if there is anything else I could do. So any ideas?

Do you know if your house has ever had a regular land line phone service ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 07:30 PM

66 posts, read 81,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
If you already have verizon 4g on your phone download the PDAnet app (Free for androids, not sure about apple). It can turn your phone into a hotspot for free. Then download the PDAnet software on each computer and it will use your phone to connect. No need to pay extra for mifi, but you may want to upgrade to unlimited data if you don't already have it. If it works well, great. You can at least use it as a backup, if not primary. I've used it on road trips many times to connect my laptop with no problems.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...?id=com.pdanet
This is all I've used for three years now. 10g of data per month on Verizon - $50 (they had a twofer). I believe they did away with unlimited unless you are grandfathered in. I use the tethering for the laptop and wi-fi for the tablet. Up/down speeds are OK. YouTube videos work but you won't be streaming many movies without burning up your data limit.

The version (4.15) in the link above is the latest and works with Kit Kat on my Galaxy S5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or