U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 10:00 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,474,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Ok then, how about we send the armadillos we find digging in our yard ( including hole up to around 2 feet deep by our well equipment, under bushes, and next to the house) over to you so they can do the same for you?
I have them here too; every night they come out and dig tiny little holes in my yard. I also have four gopher tortoise burrows, tons of birds, raccoons, bobcats, and even coyotes. I think people need to learn to embrace, not fight, nature.

If they are digging huge holes, they are looking for safe shelter. You can easily provide a more appropriate shelter for wildlife away from your home by creating a 10' buffer of natural trees and plants along your property line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 12:58 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,774,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Please revive this thread in a few months and tell us how thats working.
I've been here three years and so have the Dillos and the raccoons and bobcats and all the other critters. So after three years it has worked out just fine thank you. I'm not anal about a little hole in the yard here and there.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:30 PM

15,257 posts, read 17,426,912 times
I don't mind the armadillos one bit. Actually, I even like the snakes. Saw 2 or 3 snakes on my property within the past week.

How can you tell that those 2 in the photo are young? Is it the pinkish color?

Old 06-14-2014, 03:41 PM

9,646 posts, read 6,928,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
I have them here too; every night they come out and dig tiny little holes in my yard. I also have four gopher tortoise burrows, tons of birds, raccoons, bobcats, and even coyotes. I think people need to learn to embrace, not fight, nature.

If they are digging huge holes, they are looking for safe shelter. You can easily provide a more appropriate shelter for wildlife away from your home by creating a 10' buffer of natural trees and plants along your property line.

Well, a significant portion of our one acre property ( approximately 80 feet wide, 120 feet long) adjacent to the sodded portion where the house is, is made up entirely of natural trees and plants, not developed, so there is a virtual oasis for any self-respecting armadillo to find safe shelter should he so choose. And not just our property-across the street, next to our next door neighbors, in fact there are a lot more undeveloped areas in this neck of the woods than developed, so in fact there should be enough "safe shelter" for all the armadillos in Florida right here if they choose to come. If that's indeed what they prefer, there's no reason for them to ever look at developed, sodded yards, at least here.

Maybe we should just guide those armadillos who've lost their way gently to those areas when we see them, or perhaps give them little eyeglasses to improve their poor vision so they can find their own way to those lots with the plentiful native trees and plants....

Old 06-14-2014, 03:43 PM

9,646 posts, read 6,928,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
I've been here three years and so have the Dillos and the raccoons and bobcats and all the other critters. So after three years it has worked out just fine thank you. I'm not anal about a little hole in the yard here and there.
They start digging up your plants and well under your bushes, and next to your house foundation- holes several feet deep, you may change your mind.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I don't mind the armadillos one bit. Actually, I even like the snakes. Saw 2 or 3 snakes on my property within the past week.

How can you tell that those 2 in the photo are young? Is it the pinkish color?
I assume they are young as they were small compared to the other I have seen. There were actually three but the one was camera shy.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
They start digging up your plants and well under your bushes, and next to your house foundation- holes several feet deep, you may change your mind.
I imagine you are correct, I may be concerned if that happened but like traeelassie we have woods all around us so they probably prefer to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte