U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 01:12 PM

165 posts, read 195,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dave View Post
Do people comply with this? Does it mean that your door or window that opens to the pool can not be left open, due to the alarm going off after the 15 second delay?

You can comply or not. Its up to you. The government still doesn't monitor your day to day usage of your home, yet. The code it for the safety of children and the elderly. You will need to comply to get final inspection passed. What you do past that is up to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 01:19 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,481,745 times
I would highly suggest a baby barrier instead of an alarm. They are great for resale and insurance companies love them. The alarms are not so good, as people just disconnect them and then they are useless. There's a reason this law is on the books. Protect yourself! If you are seasonal and leave for the summer, put the barrier up.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
I would highly suggest a baby barrier instead of an alarm. They are great for resale and insurance companies love them. The alarms are not so good, as people just disconnect them and then they are useless. There's a reason this law is on the books. Protect yourself! If you are seasonal and leave for the summer, put the barrier up.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:42 AM

163 posts, read 187,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
When we had our pool installed we had to alarm every window and or door that had access to the pool area. Once inspection was over we disconnected them as we have no children.

We are in our 60's and, same as you, the chances of children being in our home are nil. We have decided we are not putting up a fence around the pool so that we can have a cage within the cage and then sit out there staring at that spectacle. If we had small children, it would be a different matter. We are nearly at the point of buying the alarms when I started realizing the folly of this alarm business. I can see having them on doors, that makes good sense. But windows ? I fully realize what kids are capable of. We raised our own many moons ago. But as I got down to the nitty-gritty of this alarm biz, the window part is ill-thought-out. I've got six sets of windows (as well as a standard door and a 3 panel slider door) that will open into the cage area. My windows are the 3 panel jalousie types with attached screens (attached with clips that are screwed to the frame). How in the name of God's good green earth is a kid going to get through that ? Maybe these kids nowadays carry phillips screwdrivers around in their pockets and know how to dismantle window screens ? Why are these type of window-screen combos any different than the cage surrounding the pool ? A screen is a screen is a screen. Also, my window screens fit on the inside (obviously) and are nearly tight to the glass itself. A real problem trying to fit an alarm to that setup.
I guess my point here is that this alarm portion of the law looks to be another band-aid on cancer sort of deal, a law riddled full of inadequacies. I've already talked to several pool builders who say everybody rips the alarms off as soon as the inspector leaves. Heck, I've even talked to one inspector who says the same thing. Why bother wasting tax dollars passing poorly conceived legislation such as this ?

Old 06-26-2014, 10:17 AM

2,837 posts, read 1,912,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 road runner View Post

We are in our 60's and, same as you, the chances of children being in our home are nil. We have decided we are not putting up a fence around the pool so that we can have a cage within the cage and then sit out there staring at that spectacle. If we had small children, it would be a different matter. We are nearly at the point of buying the alarms when I started realizing the folly of this alarm business. I can see having them on doors, that makes good sense. But windows ? I fully realize what kids are capable of. We raised our own many moons ago. But as I got down to the nitty-gritty of this alarm biz, the window part is ill-thought-out. I've got six sets of windows (as well as a standard door and a 3 panel slider door) that will open into the cage area. My windows are the 3 panel jalousie types with attached screens (attached with clips that are screwed to the frame). How in the name of God's good green earth is a kid going to get through that ? Maybe these kids nowadays carry phillips screwdrivers around in their pockets and know how to dismantle window screens ? Why are these type of window-screen combos any different than the cage surrounding the pool ? A screen is a screen is a screen. Also, my window screens fit on the inside (obviously) and are nearly tight to the glass itself. A real problem trying to fit an alarm to that setup.
I guess my point here is that this alarm portion of the law looks to be another band-aid on cancer sort of deal, a law riddled full of inadequacies. I've already talked to several pool builders who say everybody rips the alarms off as soon as the inspector leaves. Heck, I've even talked to one inspector who says the same thing. Why bother wasting tax dollars passing poorly conceived legislation such as this ?

Because it is feel good legislation that give the politician some press.

How many of the new pools that require extra alarm systems are on lots that have canals right there?

However families with very young children would do well to put up the child fencing. Kids are drawn to pools like steel is drawn to magnets.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:35 PM

3,575 posts, read 5,806,573 times
when the inspector came to our house one of the alarms fell off as he pressed it. I asked if he wanted it stuck back on and he replied 'don't bother I know they will be off before I am off the drive'.at least he was realistic

you need to be over 4'6 to even reach the catches let alone be strong to lift the windows....and I said to him 'doors ok I can understand but windows ' he shrugged ...so then I said 'so kids can open these but not the bedrooms and walk back in thru the pool door' he shrugged again

Old 06-26-2014, 05:23 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,481,745 times
Since you have to spend the money on the alarm system, only to rip it all out, why not just buy a barrier and store it in attic? I don't understand the opposition to barriers I'm hearing. We tell everyone who builds with us they get a barrier, we don't even discuss the option of alarms. Again, it could be a selling point down the road, and in the future insurance companies may require it.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:08 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,782,346 times
I agree with CC, just get the barrier, it could be a good selling point down the road. We have 5 useless alarms.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:16 AM

281 posts, read 287,360 times
The barrier will probably be useless also when you are ready to sell as the regulations will change to a taller and stronger material spec.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
The barrier will probably be useless also when you are ready to sell as the regulations will change to a taller and stronger material spec.
Not true, once bought and installed it is grandfathered in. For example, when I inspect a house I don't call out non GFCIs in bathrooms in a 70s home for the same reason. I do say its a safety issue and good sense will dictate installing them. All homes do not have to comply with new codes as they go into effect, if that were the case every home owner would constantly be mandated to upgrading their home.

Good suggestions here. Buy the fence, put it up somewhere and when and if you sell again your covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or