U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 12:22 PM

6 posts, read 4,886 times

Advertisements

Hi all! This is my first post here, so hope I don't break any rules. I'm a 62 years young single female from the PA/DE/NJ area hoping to retire the end of 2015. My dream retirement would be to own a small house with an in-ground pool right outside my back door. I've only been to FL twice and both times it was on the east coast. Been cruising the RE listings for different parts of FL and was drawn in by the affordable (for me) little homes with in-ground pools in the PG/PC/Rotonda West area. I've always been a homeowner, so that part doesn't scare me. I'm timid about having to maintain an in-ground pool on my own, never having had one. Would like some practical advice/input from men and women alike, but mostly from senior-aged women who are maintaining home and pool themselves if any are reading this. Would I be biting off more than I could chew if I make a move like this? I'm so tired of shoveling snow!! I'm not a golfer or fisher - it's the idea of having my own little pool that is the draw for me. Oh, and if I make a move like this, it would be a full-time deal - no "snowbirding". Hope to hear from someone. I love this forum - so much great info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 01:45 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,926,578 times
Hi sweetg.

It is not all that difficult to maintain a pool down here. All the pool supply companies will run an analysis of your pool water for you at no charge.

In all probability if you buy an existing home with a pool there will be a pool maintenance company taking care of it. So the water should be pretty much balanced already.

What I would suggest you do is after moving in, watch what the pool people do for a while till you understand the routine. Then you can let them go and save the cost.

I cannot help you with the average cost because I have been doing my own for quite a while. However I am sure somebody else will be happy to advise you on that.

Chlorine Tabs tend to be put on sale during the non peak months down here. Leslie's is today selling 35 lbs of 3" chlorine tabs for $84.99 which should easily last you a year. My point is you save considerably by doing your own maintenance.

I am sure you realize you should try to visit the area a lot to make sure it is the right place for you.

Keeping your pool crystal clear is the easy part.

Good luck with your project.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:05 PM

Thanks for your reply Searchers! As for visiting the area, absolutely I intend to make a few trips to the areas that interest me to make sure this is a right fit for me. I know I sounded like I was jumping the gun asking about pool maintenance, but since that will be a priority for me if and when I buy a home, I wanted to make sure I could handle it myself before wasting time and energy searching for the right home.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:31 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,207,456 times
Worst case scenario, you can't do it yourself, and it will run in the neighborhood of just under $100/mo for a service. But I'm pretty sure you can handle it if you can use a hose, measuring cup, and aren't afraid of chemicals.

Get friendly with your neighbors and I'm sure the "man of the house" will come over and help with certain things if need be. People here are generally much friendlier than in the NE, so don't be afraid to ask.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:04 PM

90 posts, read 105,401 times
"People here are generally much friendlier than in the NE, so don't be afraid to ask" I'll second that.

There is always a neighbor willing to help and a lot of real good advice on this forum.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:38 PM

1,692 posts, read 2,084,108 times
And you can get a vacume that connects to the vacume i let on the pool so it will clean the pool all day everyday automaticly. My last home had a pool and kept chlorine tables in the pump and with the auto vac it was lille work check the ph now and then. It was what i did

Old 07-15-2014, 08:29 PM

7,486 posts, read 19,938,728 times
I concur with what everyone else has said. If a pool is your thing then I would go for it. You can use it nearly year round. Like others have said, if you decide you don't want to maintain it at some point then you can just hire a pool person.

Another option would be a community pool.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:55 AM

Thank you all so much for your answers. You really are a very friendly bunch. That alone should make me want to move down there ASAP! Okay, you've all put my "pool" fears aside because from what you all have listed above I know I could handle a pool myself. Now I can go ahead with serious "looking". Thanks again. If I were down there right now I'd buy you all a couple beers!

Old 07-16-2014, 07:02 AM

325 posts, read 374,654 times
Some people on here have salt water pools and love them. When I put one in it will be a salt water pool. FYI it is not that salty at all, and can be set up with automatic equipment, I don't know exactly how but it does seem like less work.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:11 AM

Thanks 1dobiedude. Yes, I've been seeing some mention of salt water pools and was wondering about them.

I have another more general question because I'm not all that familiar with Florida in general. Why does it appear to me that most homes in the southern coastal areas of FL have private pools yet the central areas (i.e. Orlando area) I'm not seeing so many private pools. Is there really that much of a climate change? Just wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or