U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 12:53 PM

Location: Port Charlotte, FL - Pasadena, People's Republic of Maryland
2,937 posts, read 2,825,521 times

Advertisements

Today I crawled up into the attic and disconnected the co-axle (sp?) from the splitter. While I was up there I noticed that there is some of the old flat, brown antenna wire laying around. I exposed the copper wiring in it and twisted it around the center copper wire in the co-axle. I now have about a dozen, give or take, channels. For the amount of TV I watch it's good enough! I just won't be able to watch the rest of the NASCAR Chase since it's on cable only, which I wouldn't be able to do anyway even with an antenna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 01:00 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,910,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Today I crawled up into the attic and disconnected the co-axle (sp?) from the splitter. While I was up there I noticed that there is some of the old flat, brown antenna wire laying around. I exposed the copper wiring in it and twisted it around the center copper wire in the co-axle. I now have about a dozen, give or take, channels. For the amount of TV I watch it's good enough! I just won't be able to watch the rest of the NASCAR Chase since it's on cable only, which I wouldn't be able to do anyway even with an antenna.

This should help keep you up to date in NASCAR. Jayski's NASCAR Silly Season Site - NASCAR Sprint Cup News Page

Always good to see another CUP fan.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:14 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,185,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Coax is 75ohm while the flat antenna cables are 300ohm. I'm not sure if this might damage your tv's at all, I doubt it I guess. Anyway, you could install a balun in between that converts 300 to 75 and it might help your reception, or save your tuner. Baluns are at Walmart or Lowes for a few bucks, or you may have an old one lying around. Looks like this: Shop RCA Outdoor Matching Transformer at Lowes.com

Is that old wire going to an old antenna on the roof? If it is, definitely install the balun. The outside conductor on the coax is grounded which will save your TV if lightning strikes, the inside conductor is not. If you have no antenna, adding a simple loop of coat hanger at the end of the wire high in the attic will probably double your channels...but use a balun. It doesn't get much simpler than this: Folded Dipole Antenna : DIY TV Antennas

I only watch the Chase on the Saturday night races now that football started or else I'd invite you here to watch.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:19 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,185,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
This should help keep you up to date in NASCAR. Jayski's NASCAR Silly Season Site - NASCAR Sprint Cup News Page

And if you wanted to watch the chase, or any other sporting event online: Wiziwig.tv | Free Live Sports Streams on your PC. Watch Live Football, MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL and more...

I use that to stream any games I can't get on comcrap. Hook my laptop to my TV with an HDMI cable and it looks good enough. That is how I usually watch my Eagles and Phils. Just make sure you have a popup blocker, like AdBlock Plus (Chrome or Firefox).

Old 10-15-2014, 01:21 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,910,744 times
HR great easy to follow and understand directions. Thanks, even I could not screw that up after reading the article you provided.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:04 PM

Location: Port Charlotte, FL - Pasadena, People's Republic of Maryland
2,937 posts, read 2,825,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
..... Anyway, you could install a balun in between that converts 300 to 75 and it might help your reception, or save your tuner. Baluns are at Walmart or Lowes for a few bucks, or you may have an old one lying around. Looks like this: Shop RCA Outdoor Matching Transformer at Lowes.com
.....I only watch the Chase on the Saturday night races now that football started or else I'd invite you here to watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
And if you wanted to watch the chase, or any other sporting event online: Wiziwig.tv | Free Live Sports Streams on your PC. Watch Live Football, MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL and more...

I use that to stream any games I can't get on comcrap. Hook my laptop to my TV with an HDMI cable and it looks good enough. That is how I usually watch my Eagles and Phils. Just make sure you have a popup blocker, like AdBlock Plus (Chrome or Firefox).
Thank-you both for your help and advice.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:32 PM

90 posts, read 103,878 times
on the Wiziwig......Google Chromecast gets it from my laptop to the widescreen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte