Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 12:07 PM

63 posts, read 100,726 times

Advertisements

I know this is very subjective, but I'm looking for opinions on where we should move. We are looking in Punta Gorda Isles, Burnt Store Lakes, Harbour Heights, South Cove, and Port Charlotte. A safe area is important to us. The second factor is being on the water, with boating a distant 3rd. So .... suggestions? Somewhat close to 75 is also important. I just want to make sure the area is clean, safe, and nice. Looking to spend a max of $400,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 01:01 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,631,029 times
I would go with Punta Gorda Isles or Burnt Store Isles

You will get what you are looking for waterfront, safe, well maintained in your price range close to restaurants and interstate 75.

But you will need to look for yourself

Gary

Old 08-27-2014, 02:44 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohsmommi View Post
I know this is very subjective, but I'm looking for opinions on where we should move. We are looking in Punta Gorda Isles, Burnt Store Lakes, Harbour Heights, South Cove, and Port Charlotte. A safe area is important to us. The second factor is being on the water, with boating a distant 3rd. So .... suggestions? Somewhat close to 75 is also important. I just want to make sure the area is clean, safe, and nice. Looking to spend a max of $400,000.
Can you clarify "boating a distant 3rd"? The only real attraction of local canals is boating; the canals themselves aren't really what you'd call picturesque (maybe just my opinion). If boating isn't that important, why pay a premium to live on a canal? You can get a really nice house in PG off the water in your price range; on a canal, not so much - doable, but a smaller, older home.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:38 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,823,257 times
There are actually quite a few nice houses in PGI and BSI under $400k. They were built in the '90's but still nice homes. If boating is not important I would build a new home off water with that budget

Old 08-28-2014, 07:07 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
South Gulf Cove is not near I-75. Harbour Heights is a very mixed community of older and newer homes with part of it being deed restricted community. Punta Gorda Isles and Burnt Store Isles are both deed restricted with an optional HOA fee. PGI and BSI are the most similar. There are other areas of Port Charlotte with boatable canals. Most of the areas are non-deed restricted in Port Charlotte.

Here are some links to review the different areas:

Punta Gorda Isles Civic Association - Home
Burnt Store Isles Association - Home Page
South Gulf Cove - South Gulf Cove HOA Inc.. A residential community in Port Charlotte, Florida
Harbour Heights Civic Association - Harbour Heights Civic Association - Home Page

Old 08-28-2014, 09:57 AM

325 posts, read 507,599 times
If you did not see my post before it was deleted you can pm me and I will explain.

Clint

Old 08-28-2014, 10:27 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
If looking along the canals, be sure to check out Flood Insurance requirements, effect of damage on homes in a flood zone, etc. there are numerous vacant lots where homes existed in PGI, etc but were razed after Charley due to repair requirements.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:31 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
There are actually quite a few nice houses in PGI and BSI under $400k. They were built in the '90's but still nice homes. If boating is not important I would build a new home off water with that budget
SeaRay - do you mean on the water or off the water? A couple of years ago, when we were looking, a typical early 90's house on a canal with OK (not great) time to harbor was around $425K, with a nice pool and hurricane shutters. I'm thinking that same typical house now is in the $450-470 range. Is my calibration off?

Old 08-28-2014, 10:39 AM

There are a lot of homes in PGI for under $400k right now. We've been looking. What I meant by boating was that we will have a boat, but it really doesn't matter to us if we trailer it, or have it on our canal. I do want to be on a lake, at least. My only concern with buying or building off water was losing money in the long run. I know people like to be on the water, and if we ever decided to sell, I wouldn't want to be stuck!

Old 08-28-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
If looking along the canals, be sure to check out Flood Insurance requirements, effect of damage on homes in a flood zone, etc. there are numerous vacant lots where homes existed in PGI, etc but were razed after Charley due to repair requirements.
That is good to know, thank you. I was here for Charley, but lived in Cape Coral at the time. PGI was hit bad .... I have been checking the elevation on the older homes. Some are 9 or 10 feet high, which I'm hoping means a lower flood insurance cost. I know the newer homes are built higher. It's just a matter of what we want to spend at this point. I think a new build may be over our budget - well, on a canal anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte