U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 02:01 PM

11 posts, read 30,628 times

Advertisements

I am from the Florida Keys so well water is new to me! I have read some threads about people concerning North Port & Port Charlotte being on septic and well water? Why is this a bad thing? Thank you for all your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 02:20 PM

68 posts, read 174,611 times
I don't have well water myself . My Sister in Englewood has it for watering the lawn , and it is real rusty , and has a sulpher smell .

Old 12-25-2007, 09:04 PM

6,768 posts, read 12,705,356 times
I live in North Port and have well water. Actually, I prefer it to city water. As long as you have a really good filtration system it's not any different than having city water. Except with city water you have a big bill each month. The water that smells bad has no filtration.

We drink our well water with a special filtration system under the sink.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 8,880 times
I agree, you NEED a quality water treatment system. The systems that most of the home builders put in are just the bare basic minimum that they can get away with.
But the flip side to that is that there are a lot a companies out there that will sell you systems that cost $3000+, and you will still not be happy with the quality of your water. It is a very unscrupulous industry, there are huge profit margins (I know, I own my own water business).

As for the concern about having well & septic, that has to do with contamination of the well from the septic system. This is not really an issue, because it is illegal to have a potable water well in the vicinity of a septic system. That's why most homes have the septic in the front yard and the well in the opposite corner of the back yard.

greg_faulkner@comcast.net

Last edited by sunrico90; 12-26-2007 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: DM Member

Old 12-26-2007, 02:43 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,131,540 times
City Water here in Port Charlotte.

Ditto on high speed CABLE ( comcast ) internet.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 6,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbygrl99 View Post
I am from the Florida Keys so well water is new to me! I have read some threads about people concerning North Port & Port Charlotte being on septic and well water? Why is this a bad thing? Thank you for all your input!
Welcome to "beautiful Downtown North Port" and the water wells.
The contractors put in the cheapest of everything all because of the bottom line. Not a good thing for the home owner.

You will find that there are those who will test your water and give you free items to do so and will sell you the same system you already have for about $595(probably 10 GPD) and run as fast as they get their money.

I ran into a company that custom builds the Reverse Osmosis (100GPD) and supplies a 3 1/2 year supply of filters all for about $300. They also have a whole house unit that produces 2200 GPD which is my next move at $2500 compared to 300 GPD at $7500.

When in Florida and probably anywhere in today's world you have to look long and hard for a honest person who "will treat you right" instead of "cheat you right."

Old 06-09-2008, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,782 times
What's the name of the company that custom builds the Reverse Osmosis and has the 2200 system?

I'm bying a home in NP and need to get the well up and running.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 5,976 times
Default Great Water Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwell View Post
What's the name of the company that custom builds the Reverse Osmosis and has the 2200 system?

I'm bying a home in NP and need to get the well up and running.
Gator Water Treatment & Analysis is right in North Poet and can take care of all your water needs.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:12 AM

1,381 posts, read 3,639,884 times
I have city water here in Venice and had water provided by Charlotte Harbor water association when I lived in Harbour Heights. In both places the water comes from a deep well and is run through reverse Osmosis. I like the water that is provided. I was on septic in Harbour Heights and on sewer here in Venice.

When on a well, you need to have a good quality water treatment system for the water that you use in your house and good filters/RO system for the water you drink. When you factor in the costs of a water treatment system and the ongoing maintenance and filters the cost of water from a well may be more or less the cost of municipal water. You should have your water quality checked at least once a year.

The issue around septic is this; the state wants the counties to move away from septic. Older homes with older septic systems may have failing drain fields. Charlotte County is implementing a program of inspection requirements, if a drain field fails then the home owner will be responsible for repair. A replacement drain field will run a minimum of $4500. Should your community be scheduled for public sewer hookup, then you could see a charge added to your tax bill to pay for the infrastructure over a period like 10 years.

When looking at a property with well and septic requirements just be sure to do your homework. Have the water system tested and the water analyzed , and have the septic system tested. Check with the heath department and public works to see if there is any project on the books for bringing in water and sewer infrastructure.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 4,015 times
Default Do not use gator water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton's_Law View Post
Gator Water Treatment & Analysis is right in North Poet and can take care of all your water needs.

Do not USE GATOR WATER. You will PAY TOO MUCH MONEY for parts that are OLD and USED. They will come out to your house BREAK things, LIE to you and tell you that you NEED to use their MONTHLY SERVICES.

THEY do not HONOR or WARRANTY THEIR WORK!!

DO NOT USE.

THERE are several great companies to choose from in VENICE and PORT CHARLOTTE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte