Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 07:32 PM

112 posts, read 184,537 times

Advertisements

We moved into Rotonda about 1 1/2 years ago and find the HOA no big deal. It cost me $100. yearly to keep my boat in the RV Lot. We like it that the beach & several boat ramps are within 1/2 hour of our house. And this time of the year heavy traffic really has no impact on us, lots of places nearby to get/do what we need.

As Macgregor & Dobie said there are some houses nearby that I'm glad I don't have to look at everyday. One house has conveniently placed a port-a-pot by their garage door amongst the monster trucks. Another nearby well kept house is lucky enough to have next door neighbors who have a cloths line tied from the garage light fixture to their front door light fixture and it appears to used frequently. I realize that for the most part these types of houses are far and few in between, but within the deed restricted areas you don't have to worry about one popping up next/across to me.

Last edited by DCSjersey; 11-26-2014 at 07:41 PM..

Old 11-26-2014, 07:43 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,248 times
You can thank the whack-job "The Goberment always is too big" blablablabla nut cases..for stuff like that.. and we ALL know who funds that "stuff"/ talk like that and where they..... live.. Yea played like the pawns they are.. I grew up not far from W Clement Stone, talk about LOT's OF TALK.. but you see where he LIVED.. and how HE isolated or was that insulated himself... hahahha Stone walls arnmed Guards and all..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSjersey View Post
We moved into Rotonda about 1 1/2 years ago and find the HOA no big deal. As Macgregor & Dobie said there are some houses nearby that I'm glad I don't have to look at everyday. One house has conveniently placed a port-a-pot by their garage door amongst the monster trucks. Another nearby well kept house is lucky enough to have next door neighbors who have a cloths line tied from the garage light fixture to their front door light fixture and it appears to used frequently. I realize that for the most part these types of houses are far and few in between, but within the deed restricted areas you don't have to worry about one popping up next/across to me.

Old 11-27-2014, 04:29 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSjersey View Post
We moved into Rotonda about 1 1/2 years ago and find the HOA no big deal. It cost me $100. yearly to keep my boat in the RV Lot. We like it that the beach & several boat ramps are within 1/2 hour of our house. And this time of the year heavy traffic really has no impact on us, lots of places nearby to get/do what we need.

As Macgregor & Dobie said there are some houses nearby that I'm glad I don't have to look at everyday. One house has conveniently placed a port-a-pot by their garage door amongst the monster trucks. Another nearby well kept house is lucky enough to have next door neighbors who have a cloths line tied from the garage light fixture to their front door light fixture and it appears to used frequently. I realize that for the most part these types of houses are far and few in between, but within the deed restricted areas you don't have to worry about one popping up next/across to me.

oh yea, we all know where you mean.........

for me suffering a few rules in exchange for keeping that cr@p out is very worthwhile

Old 11-27-2014, 09:56 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
I know Charlotte Co will have a talk with people who have things getting out of control, like the neighbor with the portapot. But we didnt want a HOA because where we moved from, HOAs/Code Enforcement had gotten completely out of control, with neighborhood vendettas, political enemies using them against those who opposed them, etc. A few rules can become rule by brownshirts.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:11 AM

Below is when things can get UGLY....But Using just a little REASON here, .. rules are GREAT .. leaves very little for misunderstanding.. Tells Fred Sanford he really doesnt belong..same goes for the Beverly Hillbillies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
I know Charlotte Co will have a talk with people who have things getting out of control, like the neighbor with the portapot. But we didnt want a HOA because where we moved from, HOAs/Code Enforcement had gotten completely out of control, with neighborhood vendettas, political enemies using them against those who opposed them, etc. A few rules can become rule by brownshirts.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:49 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Below is when things can get UGLY....But Using just a little REASON here, .. rules are GREAT .. leaves very little for misunderstanding.. Tells Fred Sanford he really doesnt belong..same goes for the Beverly Hillbillies.
That's one of the reasons homes are cheaper in some towns versus other towns and areas. I looked at several nice homes on the water which I would of had made an offer on but because of the next door or across the street neighbors living like Fred Sanford we declined. Trucks on lawn, looked like unregistered boats and cars, quads making there own trails through lots all over and so forth. We all know what you're talking about and unfortunately it lowers EVERYONES property values in the area and reflects on ones perception of the town as a whole unfortunately.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:23 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,683,830 times
I think with the many areas I have looked at in different parts of Florida, it always comes down to what your comfort level is with a particular neighborhood. I have seen great looking areas with no rules as Macgregorsailor51 above has mentioned, that over a short period of time become "unappealing" to me with jacked up vehicles on the lawn or excessive for sale items strewn about. So it boils down to price, rules or lack of rules and your personal tolerance to what you can live with. My advice, as others have said, is to visit multiple times, at differnts parts of the day and you can get a feel of how lawns, yards, and general upkeep of the house are maintained (or not). Speaking with neighbors is not a bad idea either.
On ther side are those sometimes invasive HOA rules that can cause a completely different stress for some, at a higher cost to live within. But you likely will avoid the chance of neighbors that may not maintain their properties to a higher, more conformist standard.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:11 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
That's been my experience with the limited amount of exposure I had to condo association rules. That and seeing association rules inequitably applied depending on who the homeowner(s) knew, or who they were.

I figure, short of items that become public health issues ( and that porta-potty not associated with a construction project probably falls in that category), or which infringes on my space, privacy or rights as a homeowner, life's too short to worry about what color a neighbor paints his house, or whether he has "too many cars" parked in his driveway, or whether his monster truck is parked there too, or whether or not he has a clothesline stretching across his back yard between the trees.

That's another one of the reasons we chose property with a significant amount of acreage in lieu of the popular and perceived upscale. I can see where one lives in a setting where the houses are built so close to each other, one *might* be more concerned about what a neighbor puts outside his house or what color he paints it, if the property is right in your face every time you look outside.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:17 PM

Tavelassie being 10 miles from town as you are, is not on of the list of anyones desires, I have read here so far..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That's been my experience with the limited amount of exposure I had to condo association rules. That and seeing association rules inequitably applied depending on who the homeowner(s) knew, or who they were.

I figure, short of items that become public health issues ( and that porta-potty not associated with a construction project probably falls in that category), or which infringes on my space, privacy or rights as a homeowner, life's too short to worry about what color a neighbor paints his house, or whether he has "too many cars" parked in his driveway, or whether his monster truck is parked there too, or whether or not he has a clothesline stretching across his back yard between the trees.

That's another one of the reasons we chose property with a significant amount of acreage in lieu of the popular and perceived upscale. I can see where one lives in a setting where the houses are built so close to each other, one *might* be more concerned about what a neighbor puts outside his house or what color he paints it, if the property is right in your face every time you look outside.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:33 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Tavelassie being 10 miles from town as you are, is not on of the list of anyones desires, I have read here so far..
Nope, and that's just fine with me. Only we're about 12 miles from town, even better. To each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte