Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 11:39 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times

Advertisements

A license holder can 'qualify' two business ( I believe) which means he attaches his license and name to that business and yes its his responsibility and yes he is the one listed so he wont be working with some cowboy. Employees of the licensed company are covered for MOST areas of work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 11:41 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
its 2 carpentry sections, well 3 if you include windows !!

and 3 years experience to clean up job sites !!!!!!!!!!!

Name of LicenseYears of Experience
Required Application
FeeAcoustical & Insulation3 yrs.$150.00Air Conditioning: Class A (unlimited size)4 yrs.$200.00Air Conditioning: Class B (size limits)4 yrs.$200.00Aluminum/Concrete4 yrs.$200.00Asphalt Paving and Coating3 yrs.$150.00Building Class B4 yrs.$250.00Building Demolition (Non-explosive)4 yrs.$150.00Carpentry - Structural
- Cabinet & Trim 3 yrs.$150.00Ceramic Tile, Terrazzo & Marble3 yrs.$150.00Concrete/Masonry3 yrs.$150.00Concrete Place & Finish3 yrs.$150.00Door/window/garage door3 yrs.$150.00Drywall3 yrs.$150.00Electrical: Master6 yrs.$200.00Electrical: Journeyman4 yrs.$50.00Fence3 yrs.$150.00General Class A4 yrs.$300.00Glass & Glazing3 yrs.$150.00Grade, Fill, & Clearing3 yrs.$150.00Job Site Cleanup3 yrs.$150.00Landscaping-Commercial3 yrs.$150.00Lawn Irrigation3 yrs.$150.00Marine Construction3 yrs.$150.00Mechanical4 yrs.$200.00Painting3 yrs.$150.00Pile Driving3 yrs.$150.00Plaster, Stucco, & Spraycrete3 yrs.$150.00Plumbing: Master6 yrs.$200.00Plumbing: Journeyman (not req.)4 yrs.$50.00Residential Class C4 yrs.$200.00Roofing4 yrs.$200.00Sign: Non-electrical3 yrs.$150.00Sign: Electrical3 yrs.$150.00Structural Steel3 yrs.$150.00Swimming Pool/Spa: Water treatment and cleaning3 yrs.$150.00Swimming Pool/Spa: Class A-Commercial4 yrs.$200.00Swimming Pool/Spa: Class B-Residential4 yrs.$200.00Swimming Pool/Spa: Class C-Maint./Repair4 yrs.$200.00Underground Utility4 yrs.$200.00

Old 12-09-2014, 12:20 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times
It gets pretty murky pretty quickly doesnt it? Do you think a fellow who is so unscrupulous that he rents his license out, really bothers checking on those doing "Sidejobs" under his license? If you require a License why shouldnt everyone involved be licensed? CC or whomever could actually TRACK who is doing what.. There are no real, apprenticeships down here, no real schooling.. Yes the license follows the permit and if .... something is installed/built so badly that something goes so wrong that lawyers are involved you might get to the bottom of it all. I have seen inside or hanging on the outside of more than one small General Contractors truck materials or tools needed for Electrical AND Plumbing AND HVAC..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
Wouldn't that be legal? Surely everyone working for a licensed contractor is not individually licensed.

Wouldn't the responsibility for making sure the work was done properly would fall to the licensed contractor and also wouldn't the licensed contractor be the one listened on the permits?

Gary

Old 12-09-2014, 12:51 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,823,257 times
You honestly couldn't license every worker. I don't know how it is there in CC, but here in NJ workers may only last a week..........Mod edit So how could you possibly license everyone? I agree with licensing the owners but it would be nice to see a General Contracting license for carpentry!

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 12-10-2014 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: Staying away from that.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:02 PM

Of Coarse you could license every worker.. Of coarse you wouldnt then be able to have 1 guy attempting every trade under the sun.. Master of none and crappy at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
You honestly couldn't license every worker. I don't know how it is there in CC, but here in NJ workers may only last a week.........Mod edit So how could you possibly license everyone? I agree with licensing the owners but it would be nice to see a General Contracting license for carpentry!

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 12-10-2014 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: Quote edited by Mod

Old 12-09-2014, 01:04 PM

What has ACA got to do with being TRAINED and Qualified in a Construction trade? Never Mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
You honestly couldn't license every worker. I don't know how it is there in CC, but here in NJ workers may only last a week.......Mod edit So how could you possibly license everyone? I agree with licensing the owners but it would be nice to see a General Contracting license for carpentry!

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 12-10-2014 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: Quote edited by Mod

Old 12-09-2014, 01:24 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
Wouldn't that be legal? Surely everyone working for a licensed contractor is not individually licensed.

Wouldn't the responsibility for making sure the work was done properly would fall to the licensed contractor and also wouldn't the licensed contractor be the one listened on the permits?

Gary
What we used to see in Miami-Dade County was that the unlicensed contractor would present that "rented" contractor's license number as his own, he claimed to be working independently, not as an employee of the contractor to whom the license belonged. We ran into this several times, saw it happen frequently after Hurricane Andrew, but we always checked with the county or state to see if the guy's name matched the county or state records for the license number, and if it didn't, the guy had lots of "splaining" to do- to the county as we always reported those folks. This practice was so prevalent over the years after Andrew and the later hurricanes that hit the state that the county had big signs everywhere warning about using unlicensed contractors, telling people to check those license numbers, and it maintained a website showing lists of specific licenses which had been used by "phony contractors".

Old 12-09-2014, 01:44 PM

A Licensed Contractor is Only As Good As The People He Hires.. The Quality of the Tradesmen or Women said contractor hires , is in direct proportion to what they, are being paid..NOT , what you are paying their boss.. There is NO Quick Fix that I can think of.. I have walked through many homes under construction, all over this county and said WOW! I bet ya that gets covered up and no one will know until theres issues..

Old 12-10-2014, 08:03 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
How long have these laws been on the books? I suspect part of the justification to do this was due to the building boom. Over the past 20 years or so out of state contractors decended on FL like carpetbaggers after the civil war. Maybe some of the reason was to control the quality by requiring tedious licensing and permiting? But like everything with government, they probably saw the potential for $$$, and once they have a way to get more money, its never going to go away.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:11 AM

There no doubt was a flood Fly By Nights and con artist after Andrew. BTW they came from neighboring states as I understand it. Reality is you just cannot pick up and move a construction company very far.. The real issue "seems " to be that the idea and logic behind permits and licenses has changed .. Its Now a lot more about The Flow of Money into the coffers and this is killing the goose..But its two fold.. or more! Its ALSO why the cost of building here, is SO HIGH. There is little choice and thereby little competition among builders. CC has huge layoffs during the ression and have since only hired 2 new people and one is a receptionist and NO additional Inspectors or those qualified of approving plans and drawings. ((( Plans and Drawings I will address that boondogal later..that too is an issue!!))))) BTDT I came from a city ( IMHO a Town) where I was a Planning Zoning Commissioner and they were making the same mistakes.. It took A LOT to turn it around..
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
How long have these laws been on the books? I suspect part of the justification to do this was due to the building boom. Over the past 20 years or so out of state contractors decended on FL like carpetbaggers after the civil war. Maybe some of the reason was to control the quality by requiring tedious licensing and permiting? But like everything with government, they probably saw the potential for $$$, and once they have a way to get more money, its never going to go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte