Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2014, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,849 times

Advertisements

I am a retired 68-year-old male. I located Punta Gorda, Florida by doing a search for "best retirement communities." I am attracted to Punta Gorda because of the extremely low crime rate and other demographics including a high number of older, retired people. I am on a limited income and the cost of living is a concern as I would be renting.
Does anyone have input for me? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 02:43 PM

390 posts, read 604,469 times
In order to get an answer to your question, one would need to know what you can and/or are willing to pay monthly for a home. Also, are you looking for an apartment, condo or home to rent?

And you should also post your questions in the Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Forum if that is the area you are interested in.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/punta...ort-charlotte/

Old 12-14-2014, 05:24 PM

434 posts, read 526,650 times
You could certainly do worse. I think it's a good spot, but to each his own. You should visit at least once or twice before picking a place to retire longterm.

And for example, my dad and uncle are twins. Very similar personalities... My uncle loves the area and has lived there for almost 20 years now (Harbor Heights). My dad moved down there for 3 years and went back up to PA. He didn't like the lack of good hunting and all of the "idiots and rednecks" as he put it.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:10 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,508,039 times
Welcome to the forum, I think you'll find a lot of people with a lot of experience and familiarity of this area. Although PG is really nice, have you concidered other towns in the area?, the vibe can be similar. As you can imagine shoreline properties are expensive and prices drop off as you move inland. How close do you want to be to the shore? How about on a canal? Is an older home OK? Do you want to be near the town center? Traffic? Snowbirds? As Jason said, best to pay a visit and get to know Punta Gorda and maybe some of the surrounding towns, Port Charlotte, Englewood, Rotonda.

As far as my experience with Charlotte County, Jan-Mar is snowbirde season and it gets pretty crowded compared to off season but I thought it was still tolerable but of course I live in metro NY. Although, we've been down in June and September and its still active, but a lot easier to get around. If you like sports there's spring training in Port Charlotte (Tampa Bay Rays), and Fort Myers (Boston Red Sox and I think MinnesotaTwins), a couple of hours north is the Tampa pro teams (Rays, Bucs, and Saints ). Golf, golf, and golf, deep sea fishing, fly fishing, lots of local hiking trails, and plenty more. Most local beaches are easy to get to and we've never seen it too crowded but I'm sure there are times, but always beautiful and don't miss the sunsets, it's very spiritual. Good luck and I hope you find what you want.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:47 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,499,880 times
Your price range and style of living would make a difference in where we would recommend. There are 55+ condos and mobile home parks that might be more suitable for limited income. You will find prices to be less expensive in Port Charlotte, just over the bridge from Punta Gorda. Downtown Port Charlotte has more choices for retirement type facilities and 55+ properties.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:56 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,256,491 times
1st off IMHO its very important to know and understand from where are you coming from. Believe me that will make a difference socially and $$.. PG and PC can be expensive , but there are a lot of variables to consider..Food is, more expensive here than it was even from where we came from ( Far North West Suburbs of Chicago..) and so is gas..so is auto insurance... what you find to rent is another matter.. Yes there are a lot of older people living here ( many live in gated communities some in areas that by location are restricted , so to speak communities) you to some degree , you will be paying for the fact that most are not , really trying... to live.. on restricted incomes....very few are living here full time in an apartment . ( I am only a guessing here and a wide spread at that .. but I would guess that the average transplant retiree here, has an annual Income somewhere between $60-$100K and came down no debts blablablabla) No doubt lots of folks have even greater income than my guess.. IMHO..... Medical Care here is NOT the best.. I could be wrong, but , chances are good you will always need a car here, public transportation is very limited here ..IMHO if your trying to live on restricted income and all you need is, to escape the cold there may be better places to move to , than this area. I would strongly suggest coming down for a few weeks or a month and seeing if it really works for you. Don't do it in the winter time unless your willing to pay The Snowbird Rates..
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE_LIFE View Post
I am a retired 68-year-old male. I located Punta Gorda, Florida by doing a search for "best retirement communities." I am attracted to Punta Gorda because of the extremely low crime rate and other demographics including a high number of older, retired people. I am on a limited income and the cost of living is a concern as I would be renting.
Does anyone have input for me? Thanks.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:26 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,797,475 times
Only you know your actual amount you can afford on living expenses, best to come see the area.
PG is a beautiful place to retire, but is not for everyone. From what I have experienced the rents can be affordable. I actually receive more on rents for like properties in Cape Coral, go figure!
I would reach out to TamRe, who has been very helpful to people thinking to relocate.
Good luck in your retirement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte