Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 03:17 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,911 times

Advertisements

Our place is great but landscaping was nonexistent. Mainly on both sides of the house.

One side is narrow between the homes (more shade), other side is better but narrows toward the back (ours is a 'keystone' lot)

Most shrubs on both sides are dead or dying. Our lawn guy says pullem, they are 12+ years old.
Beds are white stone 'mulch' (vs wood mulch).

Irrigation system works good, all zones.

I have email into the city regarding what rules I need to follow.

Any any suggestions or guidance appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 04:17 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
Our place is great but landscaping was nonexistent. Mainly on both sides of the house.

One side is narrow between the homes (more shade), other side is better but narrows toward the back (ours is a 'keystone' lot)

Most shrubs on both sides are dead or dying. Our lawn guy says pullem, they are 12+ years old.
Beds are white stone 'mulch' (vs wood mulch).

Irrigation system works good, all zones.

I have email into the city regarding what rules I need to follow.

Any any suggestions or guidance appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
No walkway more than 3ft from the house (revision is under consideration); 6 ft from the seawall must be sod, although this appears to be routinely violated; sprinklers required in the rear, except in Section 18; hardscape in the back cannot be contoured to create hydrostatic pressure on the seawall; not exactly sure what the rules are for your ditch in front, but they're designed to assure your ditch is always full of water in the summer. We messed around with ours for a year and a half, then I slotted the side of the collection box one night - problem solved. The city has a document with all this in it that I assume you can buy, or maybe get online.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:30 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
One of the most common mistakes I see and have made myself is planting the wrong size plant. Be sure to look to see how large (tall and wide) the plant will grow and be sure that it will fit the space when it is mature. Also, determine if you want to keep trimming the plants or do you want plants that require minimal maintenance. I did an entire row of hibiscus in front of my home across the front porch. They look beautiful when they are flowering, but very quickly got lanky and I had to cover them when we had threat of frost. I am now pulling all of them and am planting something smaller that does not require a lot of maintenance. That is another concern, if you don't want to lose plants to frost, then get cold hardy ones even though we live in Florida. I buy most of my plants at Home Depot. Keep the receipt. If they die within the first year, you take them back and get your money back or they give you a gift card for the dollar amount. We have landscaping stones and not wood mulch as wood mulch attracts wood destroying bugs such as carpenter ants and termites. Any pest control company will recommend stones in the landscaping, especially up against the house. As far as sun versus shade plants, just look at the tags, they will tell you the size, the temperature requirements, and sun or shade amounts.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:07 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,823,257 times
Stone is a great suggestion over mulch!

Old 04-01-2015, 06:38 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,911 times
Here's what I got from Lisa Hannon, PG City Zoning Coordinator:

Thank you for your email regarding landscape maintenance at your property in Punta Gorda. Attached, please find the Homeowner’s Landscape Guide. This is also available online at: http://www.ci.punta-gorda.fl.us/dept...072013_002.pdf

No permit is required for regular landscape maintenance, however, if trees are to be removed, a no-charge tree removal permit is required. That application has been attached for your convenience. If you wish to do any type of alternative landscaping, staff recommends contacting our office prior to purchasing any plants or materials to determine acceptability. Staff would be happy to meet with you upon your return to review any plans for landscaping.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:57 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,945,353 times
The Homeowners' Landscape Guide is useful to anyone looking to landscape their yard, whether they live in PGI or not. It has pictures of a lot of the trees/plants/groundcovers that do well in this area along with their characteristics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte