Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 03:22 PM

605 posts, read 1,092,968 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate to the Port Charlotte and North Port areas, are there any significant differences in the two. Is one nicer than the other, does one have more activity and shopping, is one safer than the other, I don't want to be subjected to flood insurance?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 03:29 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,248 times
I can say with all confidence Yes Maybe No.. and Sometimes.. to all the above..

Old 04-01-2015, 04:17 PM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times
Definitely different. NP is in Sarasota County whereas PC is in Charlotte Co.. The only areas of NP I'm familiar with are the business district on Tamiami (Rt. 41) and driving up Toledo Blade to get to I-75; both seem like newer areas and well taken care of. Shopping seems to be about even; both have the major big box stores; Home Depot, WalMart, Sports Authority, etc. Safety: I feel safe in most all of PC but there are a few areas that I would recommend others to steer away from if they were looking to buy. I think NP has a higher elevation but someone else will have to confirm that.
The biggest difference I see is that PC has much more canal-front homes whereas nearly all of NP has no canals.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:25 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,509 times
North port has canals but I don't know if they go any where!

We have been in north port almost 4 years and so glad we bought here. Nice neighbors, clean town, easy drive to almost anywhere and most areas are newer homes. There are some not so nice areas too just like any other community.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:30 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
I'll do my best to answer from my phone. I own a home in North Port and I've owned property in Port Charlotte as well. In general, North Port has newer homes. Most of the homes were built in 2000 or newer. Many of the homes are on well and septic and most are not in flood zones. North Port has canals but the majority of the do not go out to open water. The town has a lot of new commercial going in. It's also closer to the beaches than Port Charlotte. The prices are reasonable and the schools are decent.

It would be easier to suggest neighborhoods based on what you're looking for. Do you have kids or will you be retired? What is your price range? What kind of things do you like to do? Any thing else you can add to give an idea of the ideal neighborhood would be great.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I'll do my best to answer from my phone. I own a home in North Port and I've owned property in Port Charlotte as well. In general, North Port has newer homes. Most of the homes were built in 2000 or newer. Many of the homes are on well and septic and most are not in flood zones. North Port has canals but the majority of the do not go out to open water. The town has a lot of new commercial going in. It's also closer to the beaches than Port Charlotte. The prices are reasonable and the schools are decent.

It would be easier to suggest neighborhoods based on what you're looking for. Do you have kids or will you be retired? What is your price range? What kind of things do you like to do? Any thing else you can add to give an idea of the ideal neighborhood would be great.

I'm nearing retirment age, but still may want to get involved with a small business, price range is 140-150K, I enjoy fishing, cycling, casual restaurants, not a golfer, Ideal neighborhood would be fairly quiet, clean, friendly, safe, no HOA fees, or flood insurance. I don't mind having to travel 15-20 inutes to the beaches.

thanks

Old 04-01-2015, 07:12 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,248 times
This 2nd post tells us a little more.. your first post was Far Too Vague... I.E. you like fishing.. OK but what kind of fishing as they vary a LOT! No Flood Insurance? OK look to stay away from The Harbor The Canals and the farther inland the less concern with flooding.. IMHO you really need to come down maybe several times for a week or more to look around .. IMHO from my perspective North Port has very little in common with Port Charlotte .. Do a Home search for your price range. Off Water in my neighborhood sounds like a perfect match.. Except we have flood insurance so this area is out.. Close to retirement but willing to be involved hummm we all know unless its a rare business , becoming successfull can take 3 to 5 years.. Is that a good idea? Is that even what you want?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco917 View Post
I'm nearing retirment age, but still may want to get involved with a small business, price range is 140-150K, I enjoy fishing, cycling, casual restaurants, not a golfer, Ideal neighborhood would be fairly quiet, clean, friendly, safe, no HOA fees, or flood insurance. I don't mind having to travel 15-20 inutes to the beaches.

thanks

Old 04-01-2015, 07:34 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,671 times
I agree, if you're asking the difference in those two areas then it's fairly obvious that you haven't been there. Not trying to be a wise azz but you really need to take a trip and at least initially check the areas out. You may absolutely hate some areas. Get a map, drive around and mark the areas of interest and areas to avoid. Then you're armed to begin whittling things down.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:08 PM

You guys all make good sense. I lost my wife about a year and a half ago, and my entire life has changed. I hate...yes I'm using the word hate the state I now live in. Very Cold, expensive, super high taxes, and too many memories. I want simple, lower taxes, and nice weather. The areas of N.P and P.C seam to fit the bill for me. You're right I need to visit.

I'm receiving Zillow updates on homes for sale for both, just to give me a rough idea. i was just wondering if there was a large difference between both cities.

Thanks to all, I'll be checking in to ask questions should I need to.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:57 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,671 times
In the meantime, you can get some great advice and info by checking out threads in this forum as well as the "Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area" forum. Insurance is a big thing to research down there, especially with the change going on with Flood Insurance. Chinese Drywall is another area to read up on.

As a generality, I'd say the North Port houses are slightly less for various reasons. No matter where you're looking I'd check them out to see if they are in a flood zone or not.

https://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/
https://ags2.scgov.net/sarcoflood/

Those two links will help. I don't know if they are up to date with the recent changes but it'll give you an idea.

If nothing else, until you can visit these two forums are good time consumers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte