Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 11:55 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,540,582 times

Advertisements

We're bringing our cat with us to Placida. The house has a screened in lanai with pool and an area of small rock on one side of the lanai. Our cat is totally an indoor cat so we don't have a flea collar or anything on her. We were thinking that it'd be ok to let her out onto the lanai with us but I got to wondering about the flea/tick situation down there. Our friends to have the property treated for pests but still was curious what you folks advice would be on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 12:40 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,002,741 times
It shouldn't be a problem unless old flea eggs are already in the lanai (eggs can hatch years later). Vacuum well. I don't think they will come through the screen.

Only way my indoor cats ever got fleas was from the dogs. The dog pen has a palm tree that the raccoons like to go into and eat the berries. Fleas jump from raccoon to the dogs, the dogs come in and lay with the cats....

Some fleas down here seem to be some form of mutant super flea that are immune to the typical Walmart medicines. When we first came down it was a serious problem. Now the dogs get Trifecta and the cats get prescription neck drops (half dose) and we haven't had a problem since. If you are worried you can use the neck drops once every 3 months, but if it's an older cat the drops can cause (more like exacerbate) liver and kidney problems (why we use half a dose).

I haven't seen a single tick in 7 years here.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:00 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,540,582 times
Thanks for the excellent info HR! We may try her. The only animals I know of on the lanai are the geckos living in the rocks. No animals have lived in the house to my knowledge.

She's only 16 months old and had Advantage treatments as a kitten with no problem. She was a rescue and had flea dander so the vet treated her. I've lined up Lemon Bay if we need vet care while down there so I think we're covered.

Thanks again!

edit: dang thing won't let me add to your rep.... grrrrr

Old 05-16-2015, 04:49 PM

5,102 posts, read 4,863,161 times
Our three cats, like yours, are strictly indoor cats. Our one cat, who sadly died back on March 1st, had kidney failure so we wouldn't chance giving him any Advantage (or other like treatments). We've been letting them out onto the lanai for three years now and haven't had any problems with ticks or fleas. Our biggest issue, if you can call it that, is that they like to catch the little lizards, bring them into the house, and drop them (alive, of course) amongst our shoes in the closet. We think the cats like the challenge of trying to catch them running in, under, and among our shoes.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:44 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,254,247 times
We too have 1 cat. Had 2 but 1 died he was very old but he as we loved being here.. No Issues.. We had brought our rather old dog as well, she too is now gone, and she had no issue and she went outside.... a couple times a day..She didnt like it here.. While she was still with us we had the SWF Green Weeds Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
It shouldn't be a problem unless old flea eggs are already in the lanai (eggs can hatch years later). Vacuum well. I don't think they will come through the screen.

Only way my indoor cats ever got fleas was from the dogs. The dog pen has a palm tree that the raccoons like to go into and eat the berries. Fleas jump from raccoon to the dogs, the dogs come in and lay with the cats....

Some fleas down here seem to be some form of mutant super flea that are immune to the typical Walmart medicines. When we first came down it was a serious problem. Now the dogs get Trifecta and the cats get prescription neck drops (half dose) and we haven't had a problem since. If you are worried you can use the neck drops once every 3 months, but if it's an older cat the drops can cause (more like exacerbate) liver and kidney problems (why we use half a dose).

I haven't seen a single tick in 7 years here.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:48 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,254,247 times
Ours too Then the wife watched and laughed as I tried to help them ( mostly got in the way) try to recatch them, while the dog looked on and no doubt was thinking IDIOTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Our three cats, like yours, are strictly indoor cats. Our one cat, who sadly died back on March 1st, had kidney failure so we wouldn't chance giving him any Advantage (or other like treatments). We've been letting them out onto the lanai for three years now and haven't had any problems with ticks or fleas. Our biggest issue, if you can call it that, is that they like to catch the little lizards, bring them into the house, and drop them (alive, of course) amongst our shoes in the closet. We think the cats like the challenge of trying to catch them running in, under, and among our shoes.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:51 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,108,186 times
Just watch out for birds and other wildlife, if your cat gets outdoors he/she could be a meal.....its why we (reluctantly ) left our outdoor cat back in England...he wouldn't have lasted a week here......

Old 05-16-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
... Our biggest issue, if you can call it that, is that they like to catch the little lizards, bring them into the house, and drop them (alive, of course) amongst our shoes in the closet. ....
Mine just eat the lizards if I don't catch them in time. Never woulda thought lizards make a crunching sound when chewed on....but they do

Old 05-16-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
Just watch out for birds and other wildlife, if your cat gets outdoors he/she could be a meal.....its why we (reluctantly ) left our outdoor cat back in England...he wouldn't have lasted a week here......
You'd be surprised. My one cat will run full speed and jump on the screen right in front of the bobcats that come by daily. The bobcats run. I need to get it on video someday.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:07 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,961,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
We're bringing our cat with us to Placida. The house has a screened in lanai with pool and an area of small rock on one side of the lanai. Our cat is totally an indoor cat so we don't have a flea collar or anything on her. We were thinking that it'd be ok to let her out onto the lanai with us but I got to wondering about the flea/tick situation down there. Our friends to have the property treated for pests but still was curious what you folks advice would be on it.

You should always treat your animals monthly all year for fleas and ticks since both can be brought in the home or yard by other animals and humans as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte