Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 08:51 AM

704 posts, read 771,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Even though some of these places are expensive.... When your used to paying NY, or MD prices it's like paying half price. The food is good, and if you don't mind paying for good food, they won't deter you. Someone made a good point (the population of the area is no where near what the East Coast is... So higher end places are a bit harder to find.
Prices seem right in line with a 5 star restaurant in Dallas.

I do get a tickled when I read restaurant reviews on the interwebs and the restaurant receives 5 stars and it's a pizza place or chowder shack. Seems these days that many people fancy themselves restaurant critics - this is not directed to toward anyone in this thread - just an observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 09:06 AM

222 posts, read 202,052 times
Quote:
The last time we bought lobsters there we paid $9.00/lb. I don't think that is a bad price. I've seen fish at many larger super markets priced a lot higher than that. These are Maine Lobsters and you can taste the difference. They are really good. In MD we bought lobsters occasionally and they were from the mid Atlantic area - huge taste difference!

Here in NY you will never see lobster less than $15 lb and that's on sale!!! So paying anything less than that will be nice.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Even though some of these places are expensive.... When your used to paying NY, or MD prices it's like paying half price. The food is good, and if you don't mind paying for good food, they won't deter you. Someone made a good point (the population of the area is no where near what the East Coast is... So higher end places are a bit harder to find.
My husband took me out to a well known restaurant for my birthday (here on Long Island NOT Manhattan),there were six of us....the bill was over $900.00! The food was amazing. Going into the city (Manhattan) you can easily pay $200 a person for just an "ok" restaurant. So eating in Florida will definitely be like eating at half price!!!

Old 11-22-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinNYC View Post
My husband took me out to a well known restaurant for my birthday (here on Long Island NOT Manhattan),there were six of us....the bill was over $900.00! The food was amazing. Going into the city (Manhattan) you can easily pay $200 a person for just an "ok" restaurant. So eating in Florida will definitely be like eating at half price!!!
Robin, I hear you. In Dallas, for the two of us, $200, in a five star was next to nothing. If you went to someplace really exclusive, it would be anyone's guess at the price.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gal View Post
Robin, I hear you. In Dallas, for the two of us, $200, in a five star was next to nothing. If you went to someplace really exclusive, it would be anyone's guess at the price.

If you think about what it is your eating the price usually doesn't fit. Because if you made that same dish at home it would cost a third of the price. So it's more of being pampered while having a great eating experience.

A couple of years ago I was throwing a huge party, I think I had 75 people. Now I have cooked for that many but my husband suggested I hire a chef and servers. He wanted me to enjoy the party! So I did, I told the chef what I wanted to serve and I have to say....everything was so so delicious! With the chef, servers, renting, tables, plate etc. it only cost me $1500. The food, liquor, wine, beer and soda was another $1000. We had tons of appetizers, surf and turf for dinner, of course a pasta (being Italian we can't have a dinner party with out some kind of pasta), salads, fresh fruit, coffee/tea, Italian cookies/pastries and cakes. So it doesn't have to cost a fortune to enjoy a meal with friends and family. You can do it at home for much less and still have great quality food. Every Christmas Eve I have at least 25 for dinner. We have only seafood (feast of the 7 fishes) and of course pasta, fruit, cakes, cookies all the wine, liquor, beer soda etc. It has NEVER cost me more than $600. So again, it doesn't have to cost a fortune to eat good quality food. But every once in awhile I LOVE to be pampered at a 5 star restaurant too! I don't care what the price is as long the food is excellent and that goes for eating home or eating out!

Old 11-22-2015, 10:57 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Quote:
Here in NY you will never see lobster less than $15 lb and that's on sale!!! So paying anything less than that will be nice.
Wow, I from Jersey and live Maine lobster is routinely sold for 6.99 a lb. in Shoprite. We usually have them steamed while we shop. Bring them home and have them on the back deck. No smell in the house. I guess I'm spoiled or cheap but I"m not paying 15 and up for lobster.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
If you think about what it is your eating the price usually doesn't fit. Because if you made that same dish at home it would cost a third of the price. So it's more of being pampered while having a great eating experience.

A couple of years ago I was throwing a huge party, I think I had 75 people. Now I have cooked for that many but my husband suggested I hire a chef and servers. He wanted me to enjoy the party! So I did, I told the chef what I wanted to serve and I have to say....everything was so so delicious! With the chef, servers, renting, tables, plate etc. it only cost me $1500. The food, liquor, wine, beer and soda was another $1000. We had tons of appetizers, surf and turf for dinner, of course a pasta (being Italian we can't have a dinner party with out some kind of pasta), salads, fresh fruit, coffee/tea, Italian cookies/pastries and cakes. So it doesn't have to cost a fortune to enjoy a meal with friends and family. You can do it at home for much less and still have great quality food. Every Christmas Eve I have at least 25 for dinner. We have only seafood (feast of the 7 fishes) and of course pasta, fruit, cakes, cookies all the wine, liquor, beer soda etc. It has NEVER cost me more than $600. So again, it doesn't have to cost a fortune to eat good quality food. But every once in awhile I LOVE to be pampered at a 5 star restaurant too! I don't care what the price is as long the food is excellent and that goes for eating home or eating out!
Robin, I totally agree. That is why, many years ago, I ramped up my cooking skills. However, it is nice to be pampered on occasion.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Wow, I from Jersey and live Maine lobster is routinely sold for 6.99 a lb. in Shoprite. We usually have them steamed while we shop. Bring them home and have them on the back deck. No smell in the house. I guess I'm spoiled or cheap but I"m not paying 15 and up for lobster.
I have been living in my Long Island home for 30+ years. When we first moved her my neighbor had his own lobster boat and he would go out everyday. He would always bring some home to me, I would always have a least a dozen or more. I NEVER paid a dime. He wouldn't take the money, but I did have to make him my lobster rolls lol! Today there are NO lobster here on Long Island! My neighbor is now working in a gas station and living in an apartment. This is a man who had a job he loved, a home that was magnificent and a family that was beautiful. Unfortunately he did not see into the future and did not plan on not lobstering any more. So all of our lobster come from Maine now. I personally would not buy a lobster from a tank in a supermarket, but to each it's own. I like to able to pick up my lobster and look at his eyes and smell to make sure it's fresh. I like to know where my lobster came from and when it was harvested. So I guess that's why I pay a higher price. In the summer there is a place here where you can get a lobster for $4-5 a pound but they are usually missing a claw or are very very small (borderline illegal) I will buy them to make my lobster roll or salad but not to serve for a dinner.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:45 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,671 times
I agree with ya whole heartedly. Can we come to your next party?

Quote:

Old 11-22-2015, 05:35 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,963,780 times
Quote:

X2...well said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte