Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 06:55 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times

Advertisements

See a few listings there...yay or nay??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 08:41 AM

390 posts, read 608,763 times
I have looked at some houses in the New York section. It was ok. But I didn't see the whole neighborhood. There may be some really nice streets to live on. I prefer Section 15. I didn't look in Edgewater, Rotunda West and other areas west because they are closer to the Gulf. And I have some concern about potential hurricanes.

If you have not been down here to personally look, I strongly suggest that you do.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:53 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida or Bust.... View Post
I have looked at some houses in the New York section. It was ok. But I didn't see the whole neighborhood. There may be some really nice streets to live on. I prefer Section 15. I didn't look in Edgewater, Rotunda West and other areas west because they are closer to the Gulf. And I have some concern about potential hurricanes.

If you have not been down here to personally look, I strongly suggest that you do.
Ok thanks. yes we have been down but can only cover a certain amount of area in a few weeks and rental rates are insane to move, rent and look some more...ugh

Old 06-17-2015, 09:31 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,961 times
JSYK My Folks Lived In Lakeland Fla. for 25 years and experienced the effects of 3 Hurricanes.. High Winds and its destruction and flooding .. Friends still living on Cozumel are right now, feeling the effects of High Winds and Very Heavy Rains and there by, some flooding from CARLOS , a Pacific Ocean Storm..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida or Bust.... View Post
I prefer Section 15. I didn't look in Edgewater, Rotunda West and other areas west because they are closer to the Gulf. And I have some concern about potential hurricanes.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:56 AM

390 posts, read 608,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
JSYK My Folks Lived In Lakeland Fla. for 25 years and experienced the effects of 3 Hurricanes.. High Winds and its destruction and flooding .. Friends still living on Cozumel are right now, feeling the effects of High Winds and Very Heavy Rains and there by, some flooding from CARLOS , a Pacific Ocean Storm..
I know all places can experience the effects of a hurricane, whether its on the coast or inland. I also did not want the extra expense of flood insurance.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:20 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
It's a bit hard to answer that question without knowing what exactly you are looking for. The New York section is generally, east of US 41 and between Beacon and Harbor Blvds. There are homes in that area anywhere from the mid 60's to brand new. The homes are running from the mid $150's to mid $250's, depending on age, updates, location. My father-in-law lives in that general area and he got quite a bit of damage when Hurricane Charley ripped through.

It would probably be easier for you to tell us what you're looking for and then we can suggest areas based on your criteria

Old 06-17-2015, 01:46 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,775,337 times
I don't think you're really asking about the weather, are you?

I have heard very bad things about that area as far as upkeep, lots of rentals, low income and drug related activity. But likely it depends on the actual street and home you are considering.

Overall isn't it considered PCs most undesirable section?

Old 06-17-2015, 02:19 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post

Overall isn't it considered PCs most undesirable section?
I always thought so.

I'd say nay, any minimal cost savings aren't worth it.....I'd rather fear a hurricane than some of the "transients" in that area.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:52 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,844 times
I would stay either between 41 and the Harbor or north of Midway. South of Midway and east of 41, gets sketchy, especially around Easy Street area.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:35 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,545,164 times
What makes the New York Section of Port Charlotte more desirable to some is that it has public water and sewer just like Section 15. Section 15 has larger homes, more expensive homes and more newer homes than the New York Section. The New York Section has New York street names and are in the subdivision names of Port Charlotte Sec 007, Port Charlotte Sec 009 and Port Charlotte Sec 13. A lot of the homes were built in the 70's, but there are different age ranges.

You really do have to drive around each street to get a feel for whether it is suitable to your liking. You will see differences from one street to the next as far as age of home, upkeep of home, etc. But this is true for a lot of the neighborhoods in this area. It also depends if the price point and criteria meets your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte