Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 01:00 PM

325 posts, read 507,453 times

Advertisements

Just be thankful he only stayed for 3 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

jk, but it is typical.

When I told friends I was moving to SWFL I really got a lot of calls to visit, well only in the winter time. And oh can you pick us up at the airport? Don't you still have 2 cars, maybe we can borrow one, I really hate to rent a car for a few weeks.

I enjoy friends coming down but just know when to leave. Now my family is another matter they can stay all winter, if they want. I must admit I am blessed with a good family.

Ok sorry for the hijack, my apologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 01:06 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dobiedude View Post
Just be thankful he only stayed for 3 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

jk, but it is typical.

When I told friends I was moving to SWFL I really got a lot of calls to visit, well only in the winter time. And oh can you pick us up at the airport? Don't you still have 2 cars, maybe we can borrow one, I really hate to rent a car for a few weeks.

I enjoy friends coming down but just know when to leave. Now my family is another matter they can stay all winter, if they want. I must admit I am blessed with a good family.

Ok sorry for the hijack, my apologies.
See now we have a different rule:

Friends are welcome anytime, family by appointment only!

Gary

Old 06-23-2015, 06:22 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,003 times
Been here 8 years from PHX. Was a law enf officer there for 20 years. There's VERY little real crime here in PC, PG, NP.

The red areas in the middle are the lowest income, New York section of PC and Easy Street sections. The red area with 122 arrest (must be many, many months of data) near the harbor and 41 bridge is Bayfront Park. Years ago was haven for homeless and drug users. More recently was remodeled, made day use only area and was completely turned around.

In 2013 we had our first cop killed by gunfire in 100 years. Was a domestic violence gone wrong. Shooter killed self immediately. There roughly 1 murder a year. There's no real home invasions, no children getting snatched of the streets, no gangs, and very aggressive street policing. They rarely cite and release, usually book everyone. This keeps crime in check.

Drug users and associated property crimes, certainly. It's still the U.S., right?

I don't carry a gun, even though I can. There's no need to. I have surveillance cameras and a monitored alarm system because it makes me sleep better.

The biggest crimes here are when the pin fish steal the shrimp off my hooks. I love living here.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:14 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,125 times
"The biggest crimes here are when the pin fish steal the shrimp off my hooks. I love living here."

there goes the neighborhood...

Old 06-24-2015, 12:57 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
"The biggest crimes here are when the pin fish steal the shrimp off my hooks. I love living here."

there goes the neighborhood...
MA is very patient and doesn't over react when the do steal his shrimp! I've never seen him attempt a take-down, hand-cuffing, or even tazor them. Although he could probably round up a whole slew of them at once if he did!

Old 06-24-2015, 03:54 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,963,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
MA is very patient and doesn't over react when the do steal his shrimp! I've never seen him attempt a take-down, hand-cuffing, or even tazor them. Although he could probably round up a whole slew of them at once if he did!
Excellent suggestion BH - maybe the Taser is the answer to his cast net woes :-)))

Old 06-24-2015, 04:22 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Hey change the law and make MJ legal, a LOT of the arrests will go away. Will probably be back on the 2016 ballot, almost passed last time.

hey, make everything legal...then there will be ZERO crime even Giuliani didn't get that good

Old 06-25-2015, 10:06 PM

139 posts, read 129,207 times
I would rephrase your question to read,"How good are the crime rates in Punta Gorda."Not much going on,truly a nice,safe and peaceful place to live.
Enjoy!

Old 06-26-2015, 04:06 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,074 times
Crime in Florida is carried out by 3 groups.

FIRST you have the union criminals, these are trained apprenticed crooks who have served time as apprentices. they will only work set hours and will never do a crime their union isn't registered for thus ensuring work for far more union brothers. they have to give 25% of their proceeds to the union in dues and work for much higher rates than

the non union criminals. there are two branches of these

the licensed handycrims. hard to find. they will often case a joint then not show up for the robbery or if they do its when they want. they work for $15-20 an hour ,often they will easily get caught frequenting their usual hangouts of bars or fast food joints

then there are the unlicensed ones. these have no formal training but can often be better than the licensed ones. willing to work where union guys don't , they work for cash in hand and often leave a crime scene half done never to be seen again. Most illegals are un licensed crims working for below minimum wage.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:10 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyToRelax View Post
I would rephrase your question to read,"How good are the crime rates in Punta Gorda."Not much going on,truly a nice,safe and peaceful place to live.
Enjoy!
It sounds like the crime rates are pretty low compared to other places in the US. I was a little concerned seeing all the red areas on the crime map in close proximity to the canal homes near the ocean in Port Charlotte. The red areas are much farther from Punta Gorda. The real estate I've seen below $100K usually seems to be in a red area, and looks like of run down. We could probably budget around $300K to $400K. We can afford to spend even more, but just because we can afford to spend money doesn't mean we can convenience ourselves to do it. If we had a place in Florida, we'd absolutely need to have at least one boat. The seawater fishing in Florida blows way the freshwater fishing in Minnesota.

We plan to do a retirement location scouting vacation to SW Florida this summer and probably another one next winter. We're not sure if we can hack the high temperatures and humidity in the summer there, or if it's only snowbirding material. In Minnesota, some summers only have a few days above 90 degrees, some summers have more than 20 days above 90 degrees. When the dewpoint is above 60, it's considered to be quite 'sticky' here. It's relatively rare to have dewpoints over 70 degrees here and if it happens doesn't last many days in a row without a break. I think the highest dewpoint recorded was about 76 degrees. A downside to the summers in Minnesota are the mosquitoes, which are very large and aggressive here.

We've done some retirement location scouting trips to Hawaii, which has much more consistent weather and doesn't feel too hot and humid because of the trade winds. Although the cost of living is probably about double and there could be some family isolation issues there. Southern California is another good retirement location, but it has it's problems with lack of water, population density, traffic, the growing problems where the illegals are taxing the heath care system there, and some concern about the earthquake risks in southern California.

We haven't visited Florida in many years, so it's overdue for some retirement location scouting vacations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte