Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 02:22 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,254,915 times

Advertisements

I add chlorine stabilizer twice a year and have a float that holds 3 stabilized chlorine tablets.. I have to address issues about twice a year.. due to the rainy season. Pool maintenance is a walk in the park down here compared to a pool up north. Why? No leaves to contend with if you have a cage and a LOT fewer people use it, unless your whole family moved down with you.. : )
It wasn't unusual to regularly see 20 or more people in our pool in ILL. Its now only 2 adults using down here except when Adults kids and grandkids visit for a week to 2 weeks ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 03:14 PM

252 posts, read 385,750 times
Have pavers,wish it was something else as they like to collect dirt

Old 09-09-2015, 04:39 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,755,618 times
Harbor Hopper...which acid are you adding? All I ever add regularly is the stabilizer acid and I administer that via a stocking sock in my filter basket. Like you, I add the occasional baking soda. Brush and vac twice a month. Clean the filter every week or two. Piece of cake.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:55 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,254,915 times
"occasional baking soda" ? To bring down acidity?
I clean / backwash the filter "every so often" when rain over fills pool... maybe once or twice a month in the summer.. I use an auto cleaning machine several times a week to clean bottom and sides and when its not in doing its thing, when its removed, I am skimming off the top. Back up north I didnt use sand, I used some other filter material from IN THE SWIM Pool Supplies ... that said.... how often do you replace the filter material down here? I agree keeping pools clean and balanced down here are easy with a cage..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Harbor Hopper...which acid are you adding? All I ever add regularly is the stabilizer acid and I administer that via a stocking sock in my filter basket. Like you, I add the occasional baking soda. Brush and vac twice a month. Clean the filter every week or two. Piece of cake.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:01 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,612,496 times
I find maintaining a chlorine pool is easy.

Once a month a write a check to Fulton Pools and my pool is always clean.

On the serious side I don't have a pool cage and don't find that the pool gets very dirty although I'm sure having a cage is definitely an advantage.

I'm torn on the subject of pool cages. Every once in a while we will have no-seeums for about an hour around dusk. Other than that bugs never seem to be a issue. My pool temperature in the summer gets as high as 92° which isn't very refreshing, my neighbors pool with a cage is generally about 7° cooler. On the flipside in the winter my pool is 7 to 10° warmer than my neighbors.

Gary

Old 09-09-2015, 08:45 PM

493 posts, read 632,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
I find maintaining a chlorine pool is easy.

Once a month a write a check to Fulton Pools and my pool is always clean.

On the serious side I don't have a pool cage and don't find that the pool gets very dirty although I'm sure having a cage is definitely an advantage.

I'm torn on the subject of pool cages. Every once in a while we will have no-seeums for about an hour around dusk. Other than that bugs never seem to be a issue. My pool temperature in the summer gets as high as 92° which isn't very refreshing, my neighbors pool with a cage is generally about 7° cooler. On the flipside in the winter my pool is 7 to 10° warmer than my neighbors.

Gary
You need an ARC (automatic retractable cage) with a no-seeum sensor.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:25 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,960,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Muriatic acid MA. 1x per week. That's what is used to lower Ph. I get it in the 2-gallon cartons at HD or Lowes, but all pool stores carry it too as it is the 2nd most common pool supply item sold.
Baking soda is used to raise alkalinity and stabilize Ph. The cyanuric acid (stabilizer) is the expensive stuff (used only a couple times per year thankfully) that holds the chlorine in the pool longer.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:40 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,755,618 times
My stabilizer levels this time of year drop off, so I have to add it every couple weeks. I bought a 25# bucket on Amazon for 1/5 the price of the big pool stores and got free shipping.

My Ph doesn't very too greatly, according to the strips I measure with. Mid summer we had to do a two day yellow algae treatment process. That's been the most maintenance we did in the year we've had the salt pool.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:50 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,283,101 times
Left our salt pool go for three months. Started pool service and they came back with "pool and water is in great shape"

Old 09-10-2015, 10:43 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,398,119 times
We are down in KW right now, our timeshare management company switched to salt water pool systems. Maintenance CE costs have dropped significantly. Water has just a hint of salt taste, doesn't burn the eyes like chlorine, no chemical feel or odors. Maintenance people love it as they are virtually maintenance free other than the leaves, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte