Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 11:41 AM

747 posts, read 1,011,952 times

Advertisements

Anyone lived on the Atlantic side of the state and done a lot of cruising/fishing? Particularly around the Delray/Stuart/Jupiter areas.

Am curious about boating conditions (generally--I realize there are good and bad days), inlet in/out challenges, open water access times (seems there's only the Boca, Hillsboro and Boynton inlets in that general area), cruising the intracoastal, etc.

Any color/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Our next trip to PG I hope to be able to rent a boat to get down to Boca Grande and see what that's all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 11:47 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,537 times
Dont' have much boating experience, but typically fish of the same species are smaller on the gulf side...

Mike

Old 09-15-2015, 12:37 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,001,502 times
Aside from the deeper cut of Boca Grande Pass, the Gulf fishing is MUCH shallower than the east coast. 30 miles out is generally only 70-90ft of water. So not much for the deeper water billfish. Snapper, grouper, & hogfish rule here as far as offshore gulf fishing is concerned. Occasionally some Dorado/Dolphin/Mahi schools come within boating distance.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:49 PM

how 'bout water conditions? rougher, smoother, about the same?

Old 09-15-2015, 12:55 PM

549 posts, read 722,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
how 'bout water conditions? rougher, smoother, about the same?
I can honestly say that unless the is a weather system moving through, the Gulf is very much smooth to a light chop. Most of the time in the evening and early morning it's like glass with barely even a ripple.

I don't think I've ever seen the Atlantic that way.

Sorry, I'm in Naples so it may only apply to this area but thought it might help.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:18 PM

There are some crazy youtube videos of the Boca, Jupiter and Boynton inlet. Now, granted, I wouldn't be going out in those conditions anyway, but the challenge I see is the ability to go do some fishing along various creeks, waterways, etc.

In some of those towns, there's only the intracoastal and then the Atlantic. Nothing in between to avoid having to go out into the ocean. Up in Stuart it's better because there's the St. Lucie river.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:26 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,963,780 times
Quote:
There are some crazy youtube videos of the Boca, Jupiter and Boynton inlet. Now, granted, I wouldn't be going out in those conditions anyway, but the challenge I see is the ability to go do some fishing along various creeks, waterways, etc.

In some of those towns, there's only the intracoastal and then the Atlantic. Nothing in between to avoid having to go out into the ocean. Up in Stuart it's better because there's the St. Lucie river.
2x on the videos, those answer the question. If you can find it, there's actually one of a big sportfisherman breaching and going down in Hillsboro outlet.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:52 PM

I need to bolster my argument for something on the Gulf side, so how about, "Honey, the Atlantic is ROUGH! You'll get seasick all the time! Here, look at this youtube video....this will happen each time we go out!"

Old 09-15-2015, 03:58 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,725 times
Bring her to the West Coast, she will never want the East again. Where Jupiter, Stewart are beautiful areas all in all East can't compare to what we have.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:58 PM

549 posts, read 722,575 times
Quote:
I need to bolster my argument for something on the Gulf side, so how about, "Honey, the Atlantic is ROUGH! You'll get seasick all the time! Here, look at this youtube video....this will happen each time we go out!"

LOL

You might also want to mention that Hurricane Andrew's little brother will be along any minute now.

Psst, don't bring up "Wilma".

For me personally, the Gulf side is so much more laid back and with the 10,000 islands there's a true over abundance of places to explore in peace. (which I like)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte