Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 07:34 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,923 times

Advertisements

Have the canals in PG/PC ever flooded since they were dug in the 1950's?? I don't really find any good info on that. Also Florida didn't flood during the melting of the Great Ice age.. so why would it now? especially since the temp wasn't been rising for nearly 20 years. In fact there is a lot of evidence that man came to Florida doing the melting of the great ice age ice and not just for spring break
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 07:52 AM

773 posts, read 786,403 times
I just saw something the other day that showed Florida was about twice the size it is today during the Great Ice Age. So I did a Google search and found this on the US Dept. of Agricultural website:

Old 10-26-2015, 07:57 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post
I just saw something the other day that showed Florida was about twice the size it is today during the Great Ice Age. So I did a Google search and found this on the US Dept. of Agricultural website:
time to get a bigger kayak.
.... and Cooler for all the Youngling I'll need to hold me over till the next ice age.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:36 AM

773 posts, read 786,403 times
Imagine all those million dollar waterfront huts lost during that global warming period!

Old 10-26-2015, 01:19 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
Have the canals in PG/PC ever flooded since they were dug in the 1950's?? I don't really find any good info on that. Also Florida didn't flood during the melting of the Great Ice age.. so why would it now? especially since the temp wasn't been rising for nearly 20 years. In fact there is a lot of evidence that man came to Florida doing the melting of the great ice age ice and not just for spring break
Not sure if you would consider it flooding but during a couple of storms or hurricanes that were in the area but not a direct hit the water in my canal came up over the top of the cement wall & cap and a few feet up my lawn. This was not during anything violent like Charley.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Not sure if you would consider it flooding but during a couple of storms or hurricanes that were in the area but not a direct hit the water in my canal came up over the top of the cement wall & cap and a few feet up my lawn. This was not during anything violent like Charley.
Ya, that's what I've heard. Nobody remembers the canals flooding up to the homes. Maybe it's because of the swallow water, you kind of need deeper water for a real hurricane storm surge I guess.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post
I'm amazed the USDA had such good satellite cameras during the Ice Age

Old 10-26-2015, 02:32 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,248 times
Actually the canals have flooded a number of times, both in PG and PC. The same way the wind can push a high tide in, it can come from the opposite direction and push a low tide out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post

Old 10-27-2015, 07:07 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Actually the canals have flooded a number of times, both in PG and PC. The same way the wind can push a high tide in, it can come from the opposite direction and push a low tide out..
Yes, but there are parts of PGI where the canal walls are higher, the property along them are higher, and they all don't flood equally. I have friends who, when they are out of town, I go by to check, and put their stuff up (sometimes - because of unexpected events), and their area floods while my area(s) do not.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:52 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
In 2004 not only did Charley hit but there were a few hurricanes that passed by us offshore. I do not remember which named one it was but one of them pulled water out of the harbor and the area South of Fishermans Village near the city park on the shoreline was so low you could see the muddy bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte