Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 06:44 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,616,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by born01930 View Post
Toby here, born and raised in zip code 01930...Gloucester, MA
Based on your username I always assumed you were 85 years old.

Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 06:52 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,543,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0xd View Post
Mike here. I know you are saying "damn not another one" Maybe I should of used "IowaMike"
n0xd is my ham radio callsign that I got when I was 11 years old ( Now 61) but haven't done the radio thing for many years.
Naw - don't take anything to heart here. (Well, for the most part anyhow. )

I always wanted to be a ham but could never distinguish the rapid series of dots and dashes, came from playing in a rock band in the 60's and 70's. Back then... Ear protection? Never heard of it. (fishing with black powder pipe bombs probably didn't help much either, but don't tell anyone about that... )

My cousin who was licensed probably in the early to mid 50's sign was K3HWL. I'm surprised your sign's so short! I'll never forget his sign, I used to go sit and listen when he was going DX and can still hear him saying "Kilowatte three, Hotel Whiskey Lima". Funny the things you remember.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:23 PM

57 posts, read 49,485 times
Well you are right. I changed my call after I got my extra class license. Was WA0SWJ from around 67. I always liked electronic things as a kid. Then there was a guy in my neighborhood that had some radios in his garage and he let me talk to someone in California and I was hooked. And I was very active on the ham sats and had a uhf repeater. But... After doing it so long I guess I got bored and sold everything on ebay and took my family to Disney World. Now I can talk to anyone I want with my android phone. But back in the day it was a cool hobby. And yes the morse code kept a lot of people out. I had to do 13 wpm when I was 12 to get my general license then about 15 years ago I had to do 20 wpm for the Extra. It was very tough. I still like anything electronic though. And my ears are a little bad from shooting guns and rock music when I was younger. Tomorrow I go get fitted for hearing aids. I have a mild to moderate loss. Anyway glad you know about the hobby. When I get to North Port my new hobby will be laying in the pool drinking something with alcohol and reminiscing.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:29 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,543,655 times
I had my First Class FCC license with Radar Endorsement, could build you a TV, but couldn't hear the code.

I'm also good at your new endevour. I enjoy golf too, but I suck. Thank heaven I don't take it seriously!

Quote:
Well you are right. I changed my call after I got my extra class license. Was WA0SWJ from around 67. I always liked electronic things as a kid. Then there was a guy in my neighborhood that had some radios in his garage and he let me talk to someone in California and I was hooked. And I was very active on the ham sats and had a uhf repeater. But... After doing it so long I guess I got bored and sold everything on ebay and took my family to Disney World. Now I can talk to anyone I want with my android phone. But back in the day it was a cool hobby. And yes the morse code kept a lot of people out. I had to do 13 wpm when I was 12 to get my general license then about 15 years ago I had to do 20 wpm for the Extra. It was very tough. I still like anything electronic though. And my ears are a little bad from shooting guns and rock music when I was younger. Tomorrow I go get fitted for hearing aids. I have a mild to moderate loss. Anyway glad you know about the hobby. When I get to North Port my new hobby will be laying in the pool drinking something with alcohol and reminiscing.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:49 PM

57 posts, read 49,485 times
Ok Steve, I'm going to stop before I get accused of hijacking the thread. We'll talk more later. We are also looking at building in Rotunda. And I see you are into vetts. I had a 66 coupe and a 74 T bar in my younger days. So I was a gearhead for a long time. Then had kids and had to do the uncool thing. Buy a 4 door. Yikes! But last year after a Explorer self ignited at 2am and burnt my garage the insurance company bought me a Nissan 370Z. Magnetic Black. 340hp RRRR Ok I'm done. Sorry if I bored everyone on here. Talk to you again. Mike n0xd

Old 11-22-2015, 10:20 PM

252 posts, read 386,440 times
Bob here.In groups where there are too many bobs Jake also works

Old 11-22-2015, 10:51 PM

186 posts, read 212,000 times
My bubble's been burst, I thought everybody here was either a spy or in the witness protection program. You guys are too boring, I'm going to find another party!

Old 11-23-2015, 04:21 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,119,833 times
I could tell you my name........but then I would have to kill you.

oh wait I already did !!!

be afraid......................be very afraid

Old 11-23-2015, 05:33 AM

5,115 posts, read 4,885,712 times
Quote:
..... my new hobby will be laying in the pool drinking something with alcohol and reminiscing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
....... I enjoy golf too, but I suck. Thank heaven I don't take it seriously!
By partaking in more of the former, you won't care about the latter.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:29 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,288,490 times
Louise and Mike (me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte