Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 05:33 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
Maybe so.... But in Florida you can just park you junk boat, car, truck, RV or whatever in front of just anybody's property? You can't do that in Wisconsin! I guess I still have a lot to learn about Florida laws. Maybe I'll park my empty boat trailer a few houses down the street so it don't take up room on MY lot!
This is one of the main reasons many people buy in deed restricted or hoa communities. They don't want to bother with this nonsense and aggravation. This would really **** me off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 06:28 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
This is one of the main reasons many people buy in deed restricted or hoa communities. They don't want to bother with this nonsense and aggravation. This would really **** me off.
Yep, that's why we did. Drove around quite a bit and saw what *could* move in next to us.... um... thanks but we'll pass. 160/year to avoid that kind of situation seemed reasonable to us.

But, everyone's different. Seems like they should be able to trace the last known registered owner for boat/trailer and go after 'em, no? That's assuming of course that the town/county gives a hoot.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:47 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times
There is a law to prevent this.. its on the books has been since 1981..Some One Is Telling The Enforcement Branch of our Community to Look The Other way.. Move Slowly Make and Take Excuses..
#1. (they said)We need the OWNER to complain blablabla.. total BS you cannot park vehicles or boats with out of date registration so as to be in public view. You cannot for any reason park on your neighbors lot for pay or otherwise.. etc etc. This was all in a Looooooong discussion last spring about Zoning Laws
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
Yep, that's why we did. Drove around quite a bit and saw what *could* move in next to us.... um... thanks but we'll pass. 160/year to avoid that kind of situation seemed reasonable to us.

But, everyone's different. Seems like they should be able to trace the last known registered owner for boat/trailer and go after 'em, no? That's assuming of course that the town/county gives a hoot.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:54 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Don't know how they do it here. But a simple plate check should tell the last registered owner and if it's current in a few seconds. We had the authority to tow anything from a public street for a unregistered or uninsured vehicle. We could not tow if it was on private property unless authorized by the owner of the property unless it was used in a crime. It looks like Mrs Cool problem with the photo provided is the boat is off of the public road and she is not physically there to sign or report it to the sheriffs office. They don't want to simply tow it by a phone call because anybody that hates a neighbor could simply make a call and have a vehicle towed. Maybe i'm wrong but it's my guess.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:04 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Don't know how they do it here. But a simple plate check should tell the last registered owner and if it's current in a few seconds. We had the authority to tow anything from a public street for a unregistered or uninsured vehicle. We could not tow if it was on private property unless authorized by the owner of the property unless it was used in a crime. It looks like Mrs Cool problem with the photo provided is the boat is off of the public road and she is not physically there to sign or report it to the sheriffs office. They don't want to simply tow it by a phone call because anybody that hates a neighbor could simply make a call and have a vehicle towed. Maybe i'm wrong but it's my guess.
Her biggest problem, is that from the street, it blocks her view of the water!

Old 12-02-2015, 07:17 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
Actually, my biggest problem is annoying my neighbors, as I don't live there yet. And for those asking about who owns it, the sheriff's department already knows who it is, AND have talked to him, back when it was still on my property. They told him to move it. This was his interpretation of moving it OFF my property, apparently. I have found two different places to report "Illegal dumping" on the county website. So far, nuttin'.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:54 AM

We called the police again, Officer Diaz called me, he is on his way over, and if the guy is there, he'll tell him he has to move it within 48 hours.
If he's NOT there, he will put a ticket on it saying the same thing.
Then he gave me a phone number for "County Enforcement", I'm supposed to call them and report it, then when they go out there, they will see that it already has a ticket on it, then they can tow it. Officer said they have more authority then the police department for such things.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:03 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,931,160 times
Quote:
Hah.. Big House, you kill me. The main reason we bought this lot was location, location, location. We are big boaters and wanted a salt water lot with a very short no wake ride to the harbor. (5 minutes and we're out) plus I want to keep my boat trailer and maybe a small RV on my property someday, I like that option. But of course closer to big water means older houses and some not kept up like they should, we knew that, but we are building a new pool house on a saltwater lot with our own dock and boat right out the back door so the trade off is fine.
We have great neighbors on both sides of us and we would like to keep it that way. Hopefully the local police will earn some of the tax $$$$ we send them every year!

Old 12-02-2015, 08:16 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Quote:
EXACTLY!

Old 12-02-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
But this isn't the problem. The boat IS parked illegally. He could have parked it in a deed restricted lot as well as mine, it's illegal anywhere. The problem is getting it out of there. He has no where to take it, so it sits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte