Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 02:16 PM

4 posts, read 3,516 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,

I am moving to the South Gulf Cove area (Keystone) in late January. The home is a new build. Like a few others on here i work from home and between that setup, 2 additional personal computer setups and all our wireless devices, WE NEED BANDWITH!

I am extremely concerned as it appears there is little to no option for any kind of Truly Fast service. I am seeking ANY and ALL info that could assist me in providing the right solution to this matter. My job depends on it.

Can't wait to become a part of this beautiful, growing community and thank you in advance for any suggestions/assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 02:26 PM

704 posts, read 771,563 times
I don't know if this will help since we live in Venice, but we have Comcast Xfinity and so far we've been happy with it. I work out of the house also.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:16 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,725 times
Comcrap is probably the best bet although their customer service sucks.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:54 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,417 times
I have a home office; have had for 8 years. I use Century Link for TV, IP, and Telephone. My data plan is a 10 meg speed and does fine for us. We run my laptop, 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, 3 smart TVs on Prism TV plus the occasional Netflix or Amazon streaming movie, and web stream my home security surveillance system...plus regularly have guests with their devices on our WiFi. I regularly process GPro video editing loads that are enormous files. We use a ton of data. The speed is perfectly fine. It's just not cheap.

We paid $182 for the bundle for the past two years. This month we lost the $34 new Prism customer discount so our bill is now $216 for everything. I reimburse my employer $89 for the TV portion and everything else is charged to my company credit card.

No plans to change that. I will add that my wireless with Verizon recently became a horrible signal, after Verizon lost a lease on a tower in Charlotte County. They sent me a network extender device at no charge (after I balked at paying $75) and it seems to help. If it goes back to dropping calls, I will switch to ATT for wireless.

Good luck and welcome to paradise found.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:58 PM

222 posts, read 202,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
Hahaha....we blew up [color="Red"]THREE [color="red"][color="red"][color="Black"]brand new boxes in less than a week! When we do have it does work fine. Not like Fios at home but pretty close.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:33 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinNYC View Post
Hahaha....we blew up [color="Red"]THREE [color="red"][color="red"][color="Black"]brand new boxes in less than a week! When we do have it does work fine. Not like Fios at home but pretty close.
Lol I wish we could get Fios here and in PG. And to think my wife works for Verizon and no pull

Old 01-04-2016, 07:03 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,141 times
Quote:

I just upgraded to the X1 and t huys were out last week and set it all up 3 boxes. then Thursday Comcast sent me all the same equipment so I call to have it returned said I could drop it off at Comcast on edgewater or at a ups store. I went by the Comcast office this afternoon, the small room was full and a dozen people standing outside so I left. what or why do they waut there I meen if they had dish they would have to just call? so then I tried the ups store and they were no help either to I went home and called Comcast and was on the phone with many holds for over an hour just to have to wait and have them call me back. yes customer service sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
I will add that my wireless with Verizon recently became a horrible signal, after Verizon lost a lease on a tower in Charlotte County. They sent me a network extender device at no charge (after I balked at paying $75) and it seems to help. If it goes back to dropping calls, I will switch to ATT for wireless.
verison was the best signal after charley they were the only good signal in town. now ATT seems to be the best. ill bein areas were customers say they have lousey service but I get though fine wich it good having to use it for charge service at times.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:18 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,671 times
Quote:
Lol I wish we could get Fios here and in PG. And to think my wife works for Verizon and no pull
Get FIOS into Rotonda and pretty much everyone will join. But Verizon and Comcrap have an undocumented agreement to divide the areas so they don't get into price undercutting. But monopolys are illegal... <cough>

Old 01-04-2016, 07:21 PM

66 posts, read 64,033 times
I too am moving to south gulf cove (off of Ingraham) In fact we are leaving Tuesday morning to drive down. I too work from home. I spoke to the century link tech who will be installing my internet on Friday and he tells me I should get 40Mpbs down and 5 up. And later in January I should be able to get 100 Mpbs. Comcast and Fios are not available in SGC. I have 180Mpbs in NJ so I am a tad spoiled.

Bill

Old 01-04-2016, 07:24 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjereb View Post
I too am moving to south gulf cove (off of Ingraham) In fact we are leaving Tuesday morning to drive down. I too work from home. I spoke to the century link tech who will be installing my internet on Friday and he tells me I should get 40Mpbs down and 5 up. And later in January I should be able to get 100 Mpbs. Comcast and Fios are not available in SGC. I have 180Mpbs in NJ so I am a tad spoiled.

Bill
Wow, CL only would promise us 3MBps uploads (yes, that's correct, I didn't mis-type. 3 MBps) down. I couldn't freekin' believe it. I can walk faster than that... Hopefully you'll make out better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte