Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 07:21 PM

296 posts, read 318,920 times

Advertisements

Ok, been a while since I've posted. We are under contract on our home now, its a pretty solid contract the agent said. So we are flying down again to check out additional houses, next wed.

We are still concentrating on the PG, PC and NP areas.....300k and down price range. Jobs not important, (retired)...but do have school age kiddies, (2).

Our agent in Fla, who is NP based and lives, has been feeding us houses for months, and I've been searching on our own. She kinda promotes NP over PG and PC. We like PG better, it seems, from our perspective, however we've only visited, not lived there of course.

She has said that much of PG and PC are in flood zones and said it will be more expensive of course and the other worries. I do believe her but is that an accurate viewpoint of those two areas?

Is there that much of a difference between those three cities?

Can't believe it but we are actually getting close to getting a move date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 04:23 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,143,543 times
IMO it depends on your budget and expectations.

NP is a younger city, lots of growth, shops etc some good and some not so good areas.

PG, more expensive, older, nicer...you have to have a reasonable spend to get something nice

PC, never appeals, its a big -old town. they don't seem to want to improve it, not that many nice bits v more bad bits

again my 2c

regards schools , cant comment, depends what age they are.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:43 AM

Thanks, I have read from others about PC....

Old 02-21-2016, 06:06 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,772,729 times
I live in PC but would have loved PG more. But not that much $ more. My opinion is the
PC waterfront homes give you much more for your money. When we bought in '08, we paid 100k less for similar features, house wise. Sq footage, dock, lift, gulf access canal, NOT in a flood zone. After investing $75k into a pool & cage, hurricane Windows, hurricane garage and house doors, repipe water supply, new septic tank, and a remodel of the rear walls to have 12' of pocket sliders to "bring the pool into the home", I'm guessing we're worth $300k now. In PG, this would like cost 450-500k now. I'll use that extra $200k to help live on in retirement.

North Port to me is like, eh...ok. Nice shops in the new areas on 41. I can get there in ten minutes. I don't have to live there. Direct harbor and gulf access was more important to this boater/angler.

If money is no object...I recommend PGI or Islmorada in the middle Keys.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:25 AM

5,161 posts, read 4,933,534 times
Are you looking for water front or quick water access for a boat? If so, I would consider PC or PG. As mentioned above, PG is definitely on the more expensive side. I think you'd be hard pressed to find something water front there for under $300K.

Nearly, if not all, all the neighborhoods along the salt water canals in PC are decent, well taken care of neighborhoods. While the main drag through town, Rt. 41 (a.k.a. Tamiami Trail) is not very attractive, there are efforts underway to improve it. They are also nearing completion of a new park at the base of the 41 brides leading over the Peace River to PG and have future plans to connect that park with the recently improved Bayshore Live Oak Park along the shore of said Peace River. If waterfront is not your thing, you can always buy non-waterfront on one of the side streets off of the "Circles" of the canals and still have quick access to one of the many boat launches, such as Spring Lake, Harbor Park, and the soon to be completed park at the 41 bride (for "small" boats...I guess like kayaks??).

Last edited by MikMal; 02-21-2016 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: Deleted quote

Old 02-21-2016, 07:10 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,489,022 times
If school systems matter to you then North Port is in Sarasota county which has a better school system. If you want to be near the beach there is Venice and Englewood (for the latter part is Sarasota and part is Charlotte). Both towns you can find housing under 300k and not in a flood zone.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:27 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,627,623 times
If you look hard there are still great deals to be had in Punta Gorda....The two things that PG has that North Port can never replicate charm and Charlotte Harbor with its waterfront properties.

I sent you a DM

Gary

Old 02-21-2016, 09:54 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,772,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
If you look hard there are still great deals to be had in Punta Gorda....The two things that PG has that North Port can never replicate charm and Charlotte Harbor with its waterfront properties.

I sent you a DM

Gary
Well said, Gary

Old 02-21-2016, 10:20 AM

36 posts, read 69,041 times
My family moved to Port Charlotte roughly 3 years ago due to job opportunities for both of us. We purchased a home in Section 15 which is very nice but we have been disappointed with the lack of improvements and maintenance throughout the County. If we had to do it all over again we would lean towards the PG side as the area is night/day as it relates to Port Charlotte. I would say as one poster mentioned above that Port Charlotte has many more poor neighborhoods vs nice neighborhoods. I have not looked into the statistics but I would have the say the education levels of permanent residences in Port Charlotte is high school at best, from what you see around town(not including seasonals). The best thing that could happen to Port Charlotte is incorporating it as a City like NP & PG.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:30 PM

Great read everyone...thanks for the tips and advise. We are kinda a weird fam maybe...I am retired, wife may work but not important, but 2 kiddies, one in elementary and one is 2 1/2.

Waterfront not important but it would be cool. Seems I can't find anything near waterfront for 300k or under. I did see some on Deep creek, which from google maps looks like a mud creek, not sure if its a accurate pic.

We've stayed in Venice before on vaca, actually Casey Key, and have driven through the towns involved in this thread, but this will be the first time actually viewing homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte