Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 06:32 AM

74 posts, read 72,645 times

Advertisements

We hired a moving company. We looked into moving ourselves and hiring a couple of guys on either end to help. After doing the math, we realized that the cost was about the same. As an added bonus, we didn't have the headache of being responsible for loading the truck correctly (as in, distributing the weight) and driving it 1,000 miles. It was the first time we've ever hired a company to do the work for us. Plus, they took down and set up the furniture and all electronics. They even packed some of the more difficult stuff (like large TVs, artwork and lamps).

We have a lot in common concerning where we've lived. My in-laws (who both died in 2014) lived in Stevensville since 1972. Their house was in Cloverfields. Although my husband had graduated from high school before they moved in, his 3 younger siblings all graduated from Queen Anne's HS and all still live on the shore. On a side note, my husband and I lived in Clinton (PG) from 1987-1999.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 07:37 AM

46 posts, read 49,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetdoc3037 View Post
Thanks guys, we hope to be closing on both properties by end march, looks good. Both contracts have been signed and accepted. The house in PG is EXACTLY what we want, its a perfect fit.

I know no place is perfect and there are negatives in fla, just as there are negatives in md...We are not going down looking at it like a paradise but as a place that is warmer in the winter and no snow. Yes I know its hot in the summer.

I've read on this forum and also a NP area page on FB and it seems SOME of the posters seem to have problems with always finding rude people in fla...as I said we just came back today, and we've been there many many times and I dont' think I've ever encountered any rude people, in fact I find the people down there to be more friendlier than they are up here in md....I find most everyone Ive met down there there to be nice and polite.

Anyways, we love the house, the area, the neighborhood and so much more about PG. I learned a lot from you guys on here.
My wife and I bought a lot and had a home built in Punta Gorda Isles in 2015. We still live in Catonsville, MD and will use the PGI place as a vacation house until we both retire in 2020. I can't say enough good things about the people we've met in Florida. Our neighbors are without exception some of the nicest, most welcoming and generous we have ever had. While on different excursions around the area I can't remember an occasion where we ran into anyone who was rude or worse (maybe I have a higher tolerance because of my job). Although we haven't been able to spend much time at our PGI home, we've been invited to cookouts and cocktail parties each time we've been down. I discovered this forum while building and learned that SeaRay35 was just a few doors down from me and he and his wife were building too. He has been a great help and was my "eyes" on the project while I couldn't be there. I can't thank him enough for his help. Florida has been great so far.
As far as the heat. Stand in an intersection on a 103 degree day wearing a bulletproof vest directing traffic and then tell me that Florida is hot!
P.S. - I grew up in Prince George's County (Oxon Hill), my sister lived in Clinton for many years and my father-in-law was the Carroll County Attorney and now lives in Westminster, MD.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:14 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times
Congrats! My husband and I have been looking at the deep creek area as well. Sounds like a lovely area and im sure you will love it! We are counting down and looking at only 6 months or so! VERY exciting and best of luck!

Old 02-27-2016, 10:24 AM

704 posts, read 771,266 times
Congrats! While we don't live in PG, we live not far in Venice. I have found the people in Florida to be so warm and friendly. Just yesterday we were at Mortons in Sarasota looking at the meat and the lady next to us just volunteered that we needed to try the pork chops and then and a very nice conversation ensued. That is much more the norm here than running into someone who is rude. I think we have run into one person who was rude and we have lived here for about 8 months. And our neighbors are great too. We are from Dallas, and I will tell you the heat and humidity here cannot hold a candle to the heat in Dallas.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:22 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
We moved down here two years ago from Dallas (Denton actually) and love living down here. Have met more people down here than we ever knew on our block back in Texas.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:22 PM

81 posts, read 97,479 times
I agree with restrain I have met more people, since we bought our home in bsv in 2014 then I have living in the Chicago area in a long time, my wife and I have 3-and a half years until we retire and are very fortunate to retire at 55 it does stink quite a bit having to leave our home every couple of months in florida to go back to the snow, but are very fortunate to have this,

Old 02-27-2016, 06:23 PM

296 posts, read 319,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blare246 View Post
We hired a moving company. We looked into moving ourselves and hiring a couple of guys on either end to help. After doing the math, we realized that the cost was about the same. As an added bonus, we didn't have the headache of being responsible for loading the truck correctly (as in, distributing the weight) and driving it 1,000 miles. It was the first time we've ever hired a company to do the work for us. Plus, they took down and set up the furniture and all electronics. They even packed some of the more difficult stuff (like large TVs, artwork and lamps).

We have a lot in common concerning where we've lived. My in-laws (who both died in 2014) lived in Stevensville since 1972. Their house was in Cloverfields. Although my husband had graduated from high school before they moved in, his 3 younger siblings all graduated from Queen Anne's HS and all still live on the shore. On a side note, my husband and I lived in Clinton (PG) from 1987-1999.
That is funny the parallels. We lived down rt 8 in KI estates. As far a PGC I was mostly in Riverdale, but worked at Andrews for quite a few years, so I know Clinton well.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimore Coppper View Post
My wife and I bought a lot and had a home built in Punta Gorda Isles in 2015. We still live in Catonsville, MD and will use the PGI place as a vacation house until we both retire in 2020. I can't say enough good things about the people we've met in Florida. Our neighbors are without exception some of the nicest, most welcoming and generous we have ever had. While on different excursions around the area I can't remember an occasion where we ran into anyone who was rude or worse (maybe I have a higher tolerance because of my job). Although we haven't been able to spend much time at our PGI home, we've been invited to cookouts and cocktail parties each time we've been down. I discovered this forum while building and learned that SeaRay35 was just a few doors down from me and he and his wife were building too. He has been a great help and was my "eyes" on the project while I couldn't be there. I can't thank him enough for his help. Florida has been great so far.
As far as the heat. Stand in an intersection on a 103 degree day wearing a bulletproof vest directing traffic and then tell me that Florida is hot!
P.S. - I grew up in Prince George's County (Oxon Hill), my sister lived in Clinton for many years and my father-in-law was the Carroll County Attorney and now lives in Westminster, MD.
Oh wow awesome. We've spent time on both sides of fla and to be honest we have not experienced unfriendly people anywhere that I can recall. I mean we were in the parking lot of the Mall in PC at 900 at night, waiting for the agent to bring more papers for us to sign..we were outside the car. We had two different gentlemen come up to ask if we were ok or needed a jump....I can say I've NEVER had ANYONE in Md come up to me, any time of the day, doing the same.

I hope our neighbors are as nice as yours Bmore copper....as I told the other poster I grew up in Riverdale, and went to Parkdale High. Its funny all of these parallels with other folks on here.

BTW, if you are a Baltimore law enforcement you have all of my respect and I feel bad for you guys, its nuts up there in Bmore.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:56 PM

74 posts, read 72,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetdoc3037 View Post
That is funny the parallels. We lived down rt 8 in KI estates. As far a PGC I was mostly in Riverdale, but worked at Andrews for quite a few years, so I know Clinton well.
My nephew and his family live in KI Estates. This is so weird!

Old 02-27-2016, 07:08 PM

Haha, yea its getting weird...don't tell me they lived on Worcester rd....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte