Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 02:42 PM

4 posts, read 19,940 times

Advertisements

Viewing PC/PG as a potential retirement spot so we've rented a house for a week in June, south of O'Hara Drive. House has a nice dock on a large canal. What are the license requirements to fish at the house? If so, are week long licenses available?

Also looking for good, reasonably priced back country fishing charters while there. Found rates online for a few but many don't post rates and I'm sure others don't have web-site. All recommendations appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 02:46 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2fish281 View Post
Viewing PC/PG as a potential retirement spot so we've rented a house for a week in June, south of O'Hara Drive. House has a nice dock on a large canal. What are the license requirements to fish at the house? If so, are week long licenses available?

Also looking for good, reasonably priced back country fishing charters while there. Found rates online for a few but many don't post rates and I'm sure others don't have web-site. All recommendations appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help.
By law, a fishing license is required to anyone fishing in Florida - salt or fresh water...

Taken from: Florida Saltwater Fishing License*| FL Commerical Saltwater License
Florida Saltwater Fishing License

Before you bait your hook and cast it into the sea, you're going to need to have your Florida saltwater fishing license on your person. Will you be saltwater fishing in Florida recreationally or commercially? Either way, be sure to read up on Florida deep sea fishing licenses before you embark.
1: Get Started with Online Application Services

Online application assistance can simplify and streamline the process for many Florida fishing-related services, including information on obtaining a new fishing license, fishing regulations in your state and fishing safety courses. In addition to the free forms and general instructions available from different Florida fishing organizations, you will receive a comprehensive License Checklist & Forms Packet specific to your needs, fast answers to tough questions and prompt service from a friendly staff.
2: Via the FWC

If you prefer to access additional material on Florida fishing services and regulations, visit a state-specific online resource for extra support regarding future expeditions.

Florida Commercial Saltwater License

A commercial fishing license in Florida, officially known as a saltwater products license, is needed if you intend to sell or trade any saltwater products  any plant, animal or structure from the ocean. You will need a commercial fishing license in Florida if you harvest more than the bag limit, or more than 100 pounds, and each individual cannot harvest more than two fish per day for species that do not have a specified bag limit. You must also use equipment approved by Florida law if you have your commercial deep sea fishing license in Florida.
Florida Recreational Saltwater License

If you are at least 16 years old but under the age of 65 and want to fish in Floridas bodies of saltwater, you must have your recreational saltwater fishing license to legally fish. Saltwater fishing licenses in Florida are valid for either one year, which costs $17, five years, which, costs $79 or for life, which costs between $401.50 and $1,001.50 depending on your age. If you are a nonresident, you can purchase a three-day Florida deep sea fishing license for $17, a seven-day license for $30, or a yearlong license for $47.
Purchasing a Florida Saltwater Fishing License

You can purchase a Florida saltwater fishing license at your county tax collectors office, a sporting goods store or bait and tackle store, online or by phone at 888-FISH-FLORIDA. Note, you will not receive your FL deep sea fishing license for 30 days, but you will be given a temporary license number (TAN). Keep a copy of your TAN if you plan to fish before you receive your license in the mail. Please click here if you are interested in a lifetime fishing license. Remember that even though you have your Florida saltwater fishing license, there are still restrictions you must comply with. You should know what kind of bait and equipment you are allowed to use, as well as any species you are not permitted to catch.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:49 PM

Thanks for info. Assumed we would need a license but wasn't sure since it was at the house.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:51 PM

325 posts, read 507,260 times
If you are over 65 and a Florida resident all you need is your driving license.

In my area I see a lot of my neighbors visitors fishing in the canal. I don't know if they bother with getting a license or not.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:53 PM

3,179 posts, read 5,999,595 times
Technically yes you do, but it's free Licenses and Permits |*2016 Florida Saltwater Fishing Regulations Guide | eRegulations

Now ask how many neighbors have one... lol

Old 04-29-2016, 02:53 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,144 times
Legally, they should be - unless, as stated, they are 65 or older then all that is needed is that Drivers License.... as long as they are a resident of Florida...

I was born in (Broward County) Florida... when I was a kid, nobody needed a license to fish unless it was fresh water... and nobody went freshwater fishing - .... trying to sound like Dylan, The Times They Are A Changin'....

Old 04-29-2016, 02:55 PM

Texas resident, under 65. Happy to purchase license to avoid a fine, lol.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:39 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,727 times
I couldn't imagine any officer writing a ticket to a tourist fishing off the back dock of a rented house for a week.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:36 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,821,202 times
I thought fishing from land was free, but I could be wrong. I use Capt Dave Stephens Back Bay Extremes. I think he is reasonable, but that us for you to decide.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:10 PM

Appreciate the charter lead. Want to take the wife out to catch a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte